Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Working on Persona and Garb

  • Kathleen Keeler
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
      ctr2961 wrote:

      > <>
      >
      > Well, can anyone point me to a starting point on period garb? We
      > really like a reference to start from so we have an idea what we are
      > getting into.

      The true beginning starting points I'd recommend are historical overviews:
      a general history of clothing book at the library
      or, history of costume online sites such as
      http://www.costumes.org/History/100pages/medievalinks.htm
      http://www.costumes.org/History/100pages/timelinepages/timeline.htm
      (can other people suggest other sites? and ones with broader geographic
      range?)
      to get a general look at what people wore. I'm sure you'll quickly
      eliminate a lot of times and places!

      From there, you can narrow the search--and the people on this list can
      give you lots of information.

      Agnes

    • Chris Laning
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
        You ask
        >Well, can anyone point me to a starting point on period garb? We
        >really like a reference to start from so we have an idea what we are
        >getting into.

        If you're asking for information on clothing worn in the Middle Ages by members of the cultures we now call "celtic" -- which is what I think you're asking -- one place to start might be this site, which has a good list of links:
        http://medievalscotland.org/clothing/

        I'm sure others can chime in with more recommendations -- this isn't an area I specialize in, so I'm probably not the best person to give you definite answers.

        Unfortunately for us, these particular cultures haven't left us nearly as much information about what they wore as we might like to have -- far less than, for instance, 16th century England. So it's quite understandable that interested and enthusiastic people have taken what scraps of information they can turn up and come up with outfits like the ones you've seen elsewhere. But I'll think you will find that a lot more information has turned up just in the last twenty years or so that enables us to do a lot better at attempting to re-create something authentic. And I know there are people here who can put you in touch with that.

        By the way, Medievalscotland.org has some good resources on Scottish and Irish names and history as well :)
        http://medievalscotland.org/scotnames/scotnames101.shtml

        Christian de Holacombe

        0 Chris Laning
        | <claning@...>
        + Davis, California
      • ctr2961
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 4, 2007
          My wife and I are confused about the time period and what is period
          and not. So my wife suggest we work on my garb first since it is
          closer to period.

          I would like to find any picture of doublets that comes with half
          capes(cloaks). I am unsure if the half cape(cloak) is period. If
          so, what time period or area comes from?

          I am looking for plates(period pictures) of doublets and fencers of
          the time period.

          Robert
        • squire009
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 5, 2007
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "ctr2961" <rcrisco@...> wrote:
            > I would like to find any picture of doublets that comes with half
            > capes(cloaks). I am unsure if the half cape(cloak) is period. If
            > so, what time period or area comes from?
            >
            > I am looking for plates(period pictures) of doublets and fencers of
            > the time period.
            >
            > Robert

            You can find half capes in late 16thC Spain. I'll look for the
            reference later tonight, since the book is at home. ;)

            Alcyoneus
          • squire009
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 5, 2007
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "ctr2961" <rcrisco@...> wrote:
              > I would like to find any picture of doublets that comes with half
              > capes(cloaks). I am unsure if the half cape(cloak) is period. If
              > so, what time period or area comes from?
              >
              > I am looking for plates(period pictures) of doublets and fencers of
              > the time period.
              >
              > Robert

              You can find half capes in late 16thC Spain. I'll look for the
              reference later tonight, since the book is at home. ;)

              Alcyoneus
            • chimeralife
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 23, 2007
                > I would like to find any picture of doublets that comes with half
                > capes(cloaks). I am unsure if the half cape(cloak) is period. If
                > so, what time period or area comes from?

                I know whenever I think of the half-cape late 16th century French comes
                to mind. Also the Italians at the same time, I believe.

                http://www.siue.edu/COSTUMES/history.html

                That is the history of costume online site. I find it a great 'first-
                look' at different styles and different times. Which helps me point in
                the right direction for further study.

                Tiece