Re: Wedding and Engagement Rings

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 26, 2007
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah" <thswildcats@...> wrote:

      > For curiosities sake were there any symbols that declared one as wed
      > or unwed?

      Try "A History of Private Life" by Phillippe Ariès, Georges Duby, and
      Arthur Goldhammer. Volume 2 is specific to the Middle Ages. (Sadly,
      mine is in an attic on the other side of the continent!)

      Jehanne de Wodeford
      West Kingdom
    • Chris Laning
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 26, 2007
        Well, I have one data point, FWIW: Queen Mary Tudor had a wedding
        ring when she was married to Philip II of Spain. That's mid-1500s. I
        *think* I remember that it was a plain gold band, and something is
        teasing the back of my brain that she wanted one specifically because
        it was traditional. Now I have to figure out where on earth I would
        have seen that.

        (I have a mind like a lint trap: lots of interesting fluff, no idea
        where any of it came from.... :)

      • Sharon L. Krossa
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 26, 2007
          At 1:45 PM +0000 11/26/07, Sarah wrote:
          >Was there any such existance of
          >period wedding rings or engagement rings? I have read that wedding
          >rings for women were originally worn by roman women more as a sign of
          >possesion (them being owned) than as a sign of commitment but that the
          >idea faded out and nobody wore wedding rings up until the Victorians
          >popularized it with women but that men did not start wearing wedding
          >rings until WWI. Is that an accurate statement?

          No, that's not all that accurate. This is a summary of what I found
          for Scotland (taken from an email I sent to someone a while ago):

          Just as modernly, often the bride was given a "spousing
          ring". Sometimes this was given during the betrothal ceremony rather
          than the wedding, sometimes as part of the marriage ceremony. (The term
          "spousing ring" is ambiguous, and so the term itself doesn't indicate
          when it was given.)

          It seems that at least in the late Middle Ages, men also were given
          spousing rings by their brides, but apparently not during the marriage
          ceremony itself.

          For more info on historical Scottish wedding rings (including photos),
          see:

          Marshall, Rosaline K. "The Wearing of Wedding Rings in Scotland." Review
          of Scottish Culture 2: 1-12.

          I believe that rings were used in some way in other cultures as well,
          though I don't know the details offhand (nor do I have handy
          references to paste!)

          Affrick
          --
          Sharon Krossa, PhD - skrossa-yg@...
          Medieval Scotland - http://MedievalScotland.org/
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 27, 2007
            Chaucer refers to rings seven times in "The Canterbury Tales." (See http://www.larsdatter.com/chaucer.htm for these and other references to clothing and accessories in "The Canterbury Tales.") Of those references, three refer to weddings:
            - To folk that han ywedded hem with rynges (The Man of Law's Tale, 712)
            - This markys hath hir spoused with a ryng / Broght for the same cause (The Clerk's Tale, 386-387)
            - And eek my weddyng ryng for everemore. (The Clerk's Tale, 868)
            Two of the other references are to magic or legendary rings (The Squire's Tale, 146-155 and 242-244), and the two others are fairly generic references.

            Some wedding rings made in Italy and worn by Jews in Amsterdam:
            http://www.insecula.com/oeuvre/O0023595.html
            http://www.insecula.com/oeuvre/O0023596.html
            http://www.insecula.com/oeuvre/O0023597.html
            http://www.insecula.com/oeuvre/O0023598.html

            See http://www.larsdatter.com/rings.htm for more images of rings from the 6th-16th centuries,

            Karen
          • quokkaqueen
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 3, 2007
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah" <thswildcats@...> wrote:

              > For curiosities sake were there any symbols that declared one as wed
              > or unwed?

              <<snip>>
              > Thanks, Sarah

              While in a library today, I found a big book that might be helpful:
              Diana Scarisbrick "Rings: Symbols of wealth, power and affection"
              (London: Thames & Hudson, 1993) ISBN: 0-8109-3775-1

              It mentions rings being worn by nuns as a symbol of their marriage to
              Jesus, as well as rings being worn by widows.
              I didn't have much loose change on me, so I didn't get to photocopy
              everything I wanted to, but I copied some of the more interesting parts.

              p.49-50 Mentions diamond rings.

              "In 1518 when the infant Mary Tudor, daughter of Henry VIII, was
              married by proxy to the baby Dauphin of France, Cardinal Wolsey, who
              was officiating, put a diamond ring on her finger. This contract being
              annulled, she was again betrothed, at the age of six, in 1522 to her
              cousin... Emporer Charles V who sent her a ring with a diamond....
              Another diamond ring was used at the marriage of Marguerite of
              Angouleme to Henry II of Navarre in 1527 was explained by Typotius:
              the round hoop signifying eternity and the diamond bezel signifying
              glory represented a king and queen bound together by everlasting love."

              There is a little bit more information about diamond wedding rings in
              George E. Harlow "The Nature of Diamonds" (Cambridge University Press,
              1998) ISBN: 0521629357
              Online:
              http://books.google.com/books?id=VO_dDD0mWmMC&pg=PA164&lpg=PA164&dq=typotius+wedding+ring&source=web&ots=UQk-EuIvfm&sig=zsGHgi9xSCaYawkDTxsG2YJ_tTA
              or http://snipurl.com/1ulnu

              Another style of ring is the Gimmel ring, which is sort of like a
              puzzle ring, with two or more rings attached together to make one big
              ring.
              http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/history/material_culture/plasket/meth.html

              There is also a book co-authored by Scarisbrick about the rings at the
              Ashmolean museum, "Finger Rings"
              Google books version with colour pictures:
              http://books.google.com/books?id=3HFEeYhdRmoC&pg=PA48&lpg=PA48&dq=renaissance+fede+ring&source=web&ots=Eoe4ba3uYQ&sig=EufHW596l2r8PjavzC32FxnXN1M#PPA48,M1
              or
              http://snipurl.com/1uloi

              Some photos of wedding rings:
              Byzantine
              http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Wedding_ring_Louvre_AC924.jpg
              Jewish betrothal ring?
              http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Jewish_wedding_ring_MNMA_Cl20658.jpg
              Posy rings at Oxford:
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuartyeates/54892553/in/set-72057594075223093/
              Pairs of 15th century posy rings:
              http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/nwh_gfx_en/ART26227.html
              A Fede (hand-clasp design) ring from Italy:
              http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/1487_renaissance/qtvr_fede.html

              It seems that wedding and betrothal rings were used as a sign of
              relationship status, which I thought became quite clear when looking
              at the rings worn by nuns as 'brides of Christ' and widows, I just
              wish I had photocopied that page so I could give you a better
              reference. Also, the sort of lovey-dovey messages on the rings might
              indicate that the rings are symbols of affection and love rather than
              ownership. Or it's a way of showing how hip you were when it came to
              your credentials in courtly love.

              Hope the information helps,
              ~Asfridhr
            • Sarah Stovall
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 6, 2007
                  At 12:32 PM -0600 on 11/26/07, Beth and Bob Matney wrote:

                  >So sorry about the top post (senor moment).
                  >
                  >I can send you a photo of some of the rings, but the photo is very
                  >large (hi-res).

                  I'd be interested in a copy of that photo if you'd still care to send
                  it. My fiancee and I are getting married in a somewhat medieval
                  ceremony next fall.
                  --
                  Auf wiedersehen!
                  Michael

                  "..No."

                  -Real Genius
                • Beth and Bob Matney
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 7, 2007
                    Hi Michael

                    Sure. I'll be glad to send you a copy. I'll break it up in several
                    pieces so that each is not so large. (We use a 12.8Mp camera). As
                    someone posted later in the thread, there is a book that you can ILL as well.

                    Take care,
                    Beth

                    At 07:27 PM 12/6/2007, you wrote:
                    >At 12:32 PM -0600 on 11/26/07, Beth and Bob Matney wrote:
                    >
                    > >So sorry about the top post (senor moment).
                    > >
                    > >I can send you a photo of some of the rings, but the photo is very
                    > >large (hi-res).
                    >
                    >I'd be interested in a copy of that photo if you'd still care to send
                    >it. My fiancee and I are getting married in a somewhat medieval
                    >ceremony next fall.
                    >--
                    > Auf wiedersehen!
                    > Michael
                  • Michael Hurley
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 7, 2007
                      At 6:15 AM -0600 on 12/7/07, Beth and Bob Matney wrote:

                      >Hi Michael
                      >
                      >Sure. I'll be glad to send you a copy. I'll break it up in several
                      >pieces so that each is not so large. (We use a 12.8Mp camera). As
                      >someone posted later in the thread, there is a book that you can ILL as well.

                      Thanks for them muchly. They'll be quite handy.
                      --
                      Auf wiedersehen!
                      Michael

                      "..No."

                      -Real Genius
                    • balanttina
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 9, 2007
                        hello!

                        I found an interesting document among my 'collection' that mentiones
                        what we would call an engagement ring. it dates to February 17, 1476
                        and was issued in a village of Vesina, in the parish of Jugo, in the
                        bishopric of Trident, in the castle of Henry (in present-day Carinthia
                        in Austria, I think)

                        my loose translation is as folows:

                        'Odorik, sun of William of Brezio, an imperial public notary in
                        Trident, makes a nuptial contract for Paul, sun of the late John
                        Alouisia of Petra plana near Trident, and a bride Dorothea, dauther of
                        Henry de Jugo. Before the notary, bride and groom have declared to wed
                        each other, and the groom has put on a bride's finger a golden ring as
                        a sign of true and valid matrimony. The father gave the bride a dowry
                        of 500 florins, the groom gave her 'jutrna' (husband's present to his
                        wife on the morning after the first night spent together, the morning
                        after the wedding) of 150 florins.'

                        lp, celestina