Re: [Authentic_SCA] Wedding and Engagement Rings

  • Sandra Dodd
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 26, 2007
      -=I can send you a photo of some of the rings, but the photo is very
      large (hi-res).-=-

      Thanks, but I was hoping more to be able to bring a link for the
      benefit of the person who first inquired.

      AElflaed

    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 26, 2007
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah" <thswildcats@...> wrote:

        > For curiosities sake were there any symbols that declared one as wed
        > or unwed?

        Try "A History of Private Life" by Phillippe Ariès, Georges Duby, and
        Arthur Goldhammer. Volume 2 is specific to the Middle Ages. (Sadly,
        mine is in an attic on the other side of the continent!)

        Jehanne de Wodeford
        West Kingdom
      • Chris Laning
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 26, 2007
          Well, I have one data point, FWIW: Queen Mary Tudor had a wedding
          ring when she was married to Philip II of Spain. That's mid-1500s. I
          *think* I remember that it was a plain gold band, and something is
          teasing the back of my brain that she wanted one specifically because
          it was traditional. Now I have to figure out where on earth I would
          have seen that.

          (I have a mind like a lint trap: lots of interesting fluff, no idea
          where any of it came from.... :)

        • Sharon L. Krossa
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 26, 2007
            At 1:45 PM +0000 11/26/07, Sarah wrote:
            >Was there any such existance of
            >period wedding rings or engagement rings? I have read that wedding
            >rings for women were originally worn by roman women more as a sign of
            >possesion (them being owned) than as a sign of commitment but that the
            >idea faded out and nobody wore wedding rings up until the Victorians
            >popularized it with women but that men did not start wearing wedding
            >rings until WWI. Is that an accurate statement?

            No, that's not all that accurate. This is a summary of what I found
            for Scotland (taken from an email I sent to someone a while ago):

            Just as modernly, often the bride was given a "spousing
            ring". Sometimes this was given during the betrothal ceremony rather
            than the wedding, sometimes as part of the marriage ceremony. (The term
            "spousing ring" is ambiguous, and so the term itself doesn't indicate
            when it was given.)

            It seems that at least in the late Middle Ages, men also were given
            spousing rings by their brides, but apparently not during the marriage
            ceremony itself.

            For more info on historical Scottish wedding rings (including photos),
            see:

            Marshall, Rosaline K. "The Wearing of Wedding Rings in Scotland." Review
            of Scottish Culture 2: 1-12.

            I believe that rings were used in some way in other cultures as well,
            though I don't know the details offhand (nor do I have handy
            references to paste!)

            Affrick
            --
            Sharon Krossa, PhD - skrossa-yg@...
            Medieval Scotland - http://MedievalScotland.org/
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 27, 2007
              Chaucer refers to rings seven times in "The Canterbury Tales." (See http://www.larsdatter.com/chaucer.htm for these and other references to clothing and accessories in "The Canterbury Tales.") Of those references, three refer to weddings:
              - To folk that han ywedded hem with rynges (The Man of Law's Tale, 712)
              - This markys hath hir spoused with a ryng / Broght for the same cause (The Clerk's Tale, 386-387)
              - And eek my weddyng ryng for everemore. (The Clerk's Tale, 868)
              Two of the other references are to magic or legendary rings (The Squire's Tale, 146-155 and 242-244), and the two others are fairly generic references.

              Some wedding rings made in Italy and worn by Jews in Amsterdam:
              http://www.insecula.com/oeuvre/O0023595.html
              http://www.insecula.com/oeuvre/O0023596.html
              http://www.insecula.com/oeuvre/O0023597.html
              http://www.insecula.com/oeuvre/O0023598.html

              See http://www.larsdatter.com/rings.htm for more images of rings from the 6th-16th centuries,

              Karen
            • quokkaqueen
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 3, 2007
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah" <thswildcats@...> wrote:

                > For curiosities sake were there any symbols that declared one as wed
                > or unwed?

                <<snip>>
                > Thanks, Sarah

                While in a library today, I found a big book that might be helpful:
                Diana Scarisbrick "Rings: Symbols of wealth, power and affection"
                (London: Thames & Hudson, 1993) ISBN: 0-8109-3775-1

                It mentions rings being worn by nuns as a symbol of their marriage to
                Jesus, as well as rings being worn by widows.
                I didn't have much loose change on me, so I didn't get to photocopy
                everything I wanted to, but I copied some of the more interesting parts.

                p.49-50 Mentions diamond rings.

                "In 1518 when the infant Mary Tudor, daughter of Henry VIII, was
                married by proxy to the baby Dauphin of France, Cardinal Wolsey, who
                was officiating, put a diamond ring on her finger. This contract being
                annulled, she was again betrothed, at the age of six, in 1522 to her
                cousin... Emporer Charles V who sent her a ring with a diamond....
                Another diamond ring was used at the marriage of Marguerite of
                Angouleme to Henry II of Navarre in 1527 was explained by Typotius:
                the round hoop signifying eternity and the diamond bezel signifying
                glory represented a king and queen bound together by everlasting love."

                There is a little bit more information about diamond wedding rings in
                George E. Harlow "The Nature of Diamonds" (Cambridge University Press,
                1998) ISBN: 0521629357
                Online:
                http://books.google.com/books?id=VO_dDD0mWmMC&pg=PA164&lpg=PA164&dq=typotius+wedding+ring&source=web&ots=UQk-EuIvfm&sig=zsGHgi9xSCaYawkDTxsG2YJ_tTA
                or http://snipurl.com/1ulnu

                Another style of ring is the Gimmel ring, which is sort of like a
                puzzle ring, with two or more rings attached together to make one big
                ring.
                http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/history/material_culture/plasket/meth.html

                There is also a book co-authored by Scarisbrick about the rings at the
                Ashmolean museum, "Finger Rings"
                Google books version with colour pictures:
                http://books.google.com/books?id=3HFEeYhdRmoC&pg=PA48&lpg=PA48&dq=renaissance+fede+ring&source=web&ots=Eoe4ba3uYQ&sig=EufHW596l2r8PjavzC32FxnXN1M#PPA48,M1
                or
                http://snipurl.com/1uloi

                Some photos of wedding rings:
                Byzantine
                http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Wedding_ring_Louvre_AC924.jpg
                Jewish betrothal ring?
                http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Jewish_wedding_ring_MNMA_Cl20658.jpg
                Posy rings at Oxford:
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuartyeates/54892553/in/set-72057594075223093/
                Pairs of 15th century posy rings:
                http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/nwh_gfx_en/ART26227.html
                A Fede (hand-clasp design) ring from Italy:
                http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/1487_renaissance/qtvr_fede.html

                It seems that wedding and betrothal rings were used as a sign of
                relationship status, which I thought became quite clear when looking
                at the rings worn by nuns as 'brides of Christ' and widows, I just
                wish I had photocopied that page so I could give you a better
                reference. Also, the sort of lovey-dovey messages on the rings might
                indicate that the rings are symbols of affection and love rather than
                ownership. Or it's a way of showing how hip you were when it came to
                your credentials in courtly love.

                Hope the information helps,
                ~Asfridhr
              • Sarah Stovall
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 6, 2007
                    At 12:32 PM -0600 on 11/26/07, Beth and Bob Matney wrote:

                    >So sorry about the top post (senor moment).
                    >
                    >I can send you a photo of some of the rings, but the photo is very
                    >large (hi-res).

                    I'd be interested in a copy of that photo if you'd still care to send
                    it. My fiancee and I are getting married in a somewhat medieval
                    ceremony next fall.
                    --
                    Auf wiedersehen!
                    Michael

                    "..No."

                    -Real Genius
                  • Beth and Bob Matney
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 7, 2007
                      Hi Michael

                      Sure. I'll be glad to send you a copy. I'll break it up in several
                      pieces so that each is not so large. (We use a 12.8Mp camera). As
                      someone posted later in the thread, there is a book that you can ILL as well.

                      Take care,
                      Beth

                      At 07:27 PM 12/6/2007, you wrote:
                      >At 12:32 PM -0600 on 11/26/07, Beth and Bob Matney wrote:
                      >
                      > >So sorry about the top post (senor moment).
                      > >
                      > >I can send you a photo of some of the rings, but the photo is very
                      > >large (hi-res).
                      >
                      >I'd be interested in a copy of that photo if you'd still care to send
                      >it. My fiancee and I are getting married in a somewhat medieval
                      >ceremony next fall.
                      >--
                      > Auf wiedersehen!
                      > Michael
                    • Michael Hurley
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 7, 2007
                        At 6:15 AM -0600 on 12/7/07, Beth and Bob Matney wrote:

                        >Hi Michael
                        >
                        >Sure. I'll be glad to send you a copy. I'll break it up in several
                        >pieces so that each is not so large. (We use a 12.8Mp camera). As
                        >someone posted later in the thread, there is a book that you can ILL as well.

                        Thanks for them muchly. They'll be quite handy.
                        --
                        Auf wiedersehen!
                        Michael

                        "..No."

                        -Real Genius
                      • balanttina
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 9, 2007
                          hello!

                          I found an interesting document among my 'collection' that mentiones
                          what we would call an engagement ring. it dates to February 17, 1476
                          and was issued in a village of Vesina, in the parish of Jugo, in the
                          bishopric of Trident, in the castle of Henry (in present-day Carinthia
                          in Austria, I think)

                          my loose translation is as folows:

                          'Odorik, sun of William of Brezio, an imperial public notary in
                          Trident, makes a nuptial contract for Paul, sun of the late John
                          Alouisia of Petra plana near Trident, and a bride Dorothea, dauther of
                          Henry de Jugo. Before the notary, bride and groom have declared to wed
                          each other, and the groom has put on a bride's finger a golden ring as
                          a sign of true and valid matrimony. The father gave the bride a dowry
                          of 500 florins, the groom gave her 'jutrna' (husband's present to his
                          wife on the morning after the first night spent together, the morning
                          after the wedding) of 150 florins.'

                          lp, celestina