Re: [Authentic_SCA] Advice on Sewing Fur

  • Kareina Talvi Tytär
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 25, 2007
      Emmie wrote:
      >I just found a wonderful bargain on Ebay ($38 including s/h on two full
      >length mink jackets - craft cutters.) I have several profects in mind,
      >but I have never sewn with fur... so any and all advice would be
      >welcomed. I want to take advantage of my bargain and not destroy it.

      Generally, when making something out of fur, one lines the individual
      pieces of fur with fabric, and then sews them together. Since these
      have already been assembled into jackets, it is likely that they
      already have the fabric backing, so you can save a step in the process.

      It is better to cut the fur from the skin side with something like a
      razor blade, stopping as soon as you've gone through the skin,
      otherwise you will be cutting the hairs from quite a bit away from
      the seam (depending on the length of the fur), and it won't grow back!

      Take into account the nap of the fur, layin out your pattern in such
      a way as to make certain that it is all pointing the direction you
      wish it to on the finished project. Depending on what you are doing
      with it, this might be easier or harder to accomplish, and may or may
      not waste scraps of fur in between the pieces you wind up using.

      If it needs cleaning, one method is to rub something absorbent, like
      cornmeal into the fur and then brush it out again. This takes a
      while, but doesn't dry or damage it like cleaning with water &
      detergent. If it must be cleaned with water (something icky was
      spilled on it), try using a gentle shampoo, and "work" it while it
      dries to keep it from stiffening up.

      --Kareina, who hasn't played with fur in ages, but one of her uncles
      was an Alaskan fur trapper, so did have the chance to do so once upon a time