Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Origami and Napkin folding

  • Yolanda or Aeric
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 15, 2007
      Somewhere online, there is the "book of 1000 cranes" in japanese. If
      I remember correctly (and I probably don't) it was written pre 1600.

      If you can find it, it would be a good starting point.

      y.
    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 15, 2007
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Yolanda or Aeric <antir@...> wrote:

        > Somewhere online, there is the "book of 1000 cranes" in japanese. If
        > I remember correctly (and I probably don't) it was written pre 1600.

        Pardon, but if you are referring to this one, it is not:
        http://www.origami.gr.jp/Model/Senbazuru/index-e.html

        If you are refering to the story of Sadako Sasaki and the 1000 cranes,
        that one dates to 1945.
        http://www.sadako.org/sadakostory.htm

        Also of possible interest.
        http://origami.ousaan.com/library/historye.html

        Saionji no Hanae
        West Kingdom
      • olorin1984
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 15, 2007
          MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our many members who receive this list in digest format, we ask that you do not top post and that you edit anything from the previous message that does not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

          MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED AND EDITED.

          > I would be interested to hear what you have found about "origami"
          > before 1600. All I have found about paper folding in Japan has to do
          > with either votives for Shinto temples or decorative folds and knots
          > for letters.

          Saionji,
          I actually taught a class a couple of months ago on this subject and
          would be happy to share what I have found. I uploaded the handout
          from my class to the files section of the group as "Period Origami
          Handout.pdf"
          The handout gives a brief overview of some of the models that were
          around pre/around 1600 both in Europe, and in Japan. The handout
          doesn't go into much more detail regarding history, or even the
          origins of the word origami (which is pretty modern I believe), but it
          does have a list of references at the end with some excellent places
          to do further research.
          I would particularly recommend David Lister's esays on the subject.
          He is the historian of the British Origami Society and has written a
          lot on the history of origami.
          You can find his essays here:
          http://www.britishorigami.info/academic/lister/index.htm

          David
        • Yolanda or Aeric
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 15, 2007
            At 10:43 AM 10/15/2007, you wrote:
            >--- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Yolanda or Aeric <antir@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Somewhere online, there is the "book of 1000 cranes" in japanese. If
            > > I remember correctly (and I probably don't) it was written pre 1600.
            >
            >Pardon, but if you are referring to this one, it is not:
            >http://www.origami.gr.jp/Model/Senbazuru/index-e.html
            >
            >If you are refering to the story of Sadako Sasaki and the 1000 cranes,
            >that one dates to 1945.
            >http://www.sadako.org/sadakostory.htm
            >
            >Also of possible interest.
            >http://origami.ousaan.com/library/historye.html

            I said I probably didn't remember correctly the date it was written. :)

            I've been folding for a couple of years now. You don't want to know
            how many of the tiny stars or cranes or other things I've given
            away. My lord has a modular swan on his desk at work that gets ooos
            and ahs from his coworkers.

            Lady Yolanda de Guelph MI
            Artiste of Gryphonshold
            "It's good to be the king. It's better to be Sylverstone."
            ~Sylverstone, September Crown, 2007