Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Origami and Napkin folding

  • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 15, 2007
      > I would be interested to hear what you have found about "origami"
      > before 1600. All I have found about paper folding in Japan has
      > to do
      > with either votives for Shinto temples or decorative folds and knots
      > for letters.
      >
      > Many thanks,
      > Saionji no Hanae

      Konichiwa, Saionji-dono!

      I am very interested in the "Shinto Votive" paper folding, especially the rope barriers and folded prayer chains. Any lnks or references you can share?

      Capt Elias

    • Yolanda or Aeric
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 15, 2007
        Somewhere online, there is the "book of 1000 cranes" in japanese. If
        I remember correctly (and I probably don't) it was written pre 1600.

        If you can find it, it would be a good starting point.

        y.
      • wodeford
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 15, 2007
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Yolanda or Aeric <antir@...> wrote:

          > Somewhere online, there is the "book of 1000 cranes" in japanese. If
          > I remember correctly (and I probably don't) it was written pre 1600.

          Pardon, but if you are referring to this one, it is not:
          http://www.origami.gr.jp/Model/Senbazuru/index-e.html

          If you are refering to the story of Sadako Sasaki and the 1000 cranes,
          that one dates to 1945.
          http://www.sadako.org/sadakostory.htm

          Also of possible interest.
          http://origami.ousaan.com/library/historye.html

          Saionji no Hanae
          West Kingdom
        • olorin1984
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 15, 2007
            MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our many members who receive this list in digest format, we ask that you do not top post and that you edit anything from the previous message that does not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

            MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED AND EDITED.

            > I would be interested to hear what you have found about "origami"
            > before 1600. All I have found about paper folding in Japan has to do
            > with either votives for Shinto temples or decorative folds and knots
            > for letters.

            Saionji,
            I actually taught a class a couple of months ago on this subject and
            would be happy to share what I have found. I uploaded the handout
            from my class to the files section of the group as "Period Origami
            Handout.pdf"
            The handout gives a brief overview of some of the models that were
            around pre/around 1600 both in Europe, and in Japan. The handout
            doesn't go into much more detail regarding history, or even the
            origins of the word origami (which is pretty modern I believe), but it
            does have a list of references at the end with some excellent places
            to do further research.
            I would particularly recommend David Lister's esays on the subject.
            He is the historian of the British Origami Society and has written a
            lot on the history of origami.
            You can find his essays here:
            http://www.britishorigami.info/academic/lister/index.htm

            David
          • Yolanda or Aeric
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 15, 2007
              At 10:43 AM 10/15/2007, you wrote:
              >--- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Yolanda or Aeric <antir@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Somewhere online, there is the "book of 1000 cranes" in japanese. If
              > > I remember correctly (and I probably don't) it was written pre 1600.
              >
              >Pardon, but if you are referring to this one, it is not:
              >http://www.origami.gr.jp/Model/Senbazuru/index-e.html
              >
              >If you are refering to the story of Sadako Sasaki and the 1000 cranes,
              >that one dates to 1945.
              >http://www.sadako.org/sadakostory.htm
              >
              >Also of possible interest.
              >http://origami.ousaan.com/library/historye.html

              I said I probably didn't remember correctly the date it was written. :)

              I've been folding for a couple of years now. You don't want to know
              how many of the tiny stars or cranes or other things I've given
              away. My lord has a modular swan on his desk at work that gets ooos
              and ahs from his coworkers.

              Lady Yolanda de Guelph MI
              Artiste of Gryphonshold
              "It's good to be the king. It's better to be Sylverstone."
              ~Sylverstone, September Crown, 2007