Origami and Napkin folding

  • olorin1984
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 14, 2007
      Greetings,
      I am interested in doing more research into period origami and other
      paperfolding-like techniques. I am pretty familiar with what sorts of
      things would have been around in period, both in Japan, and in Europe,
      as it turns out however, it's not a lot.
      One thing I have read about though, and would be interested in
      pursuing further, is that napkin folding was a fairly common practice
      in Europe during the 16th century. I have a copy of a book called "Li
      Tre Trattati" which was written in 1639 and shows several pictures of
      very elaborate decorations made from folded napkins. Unfortunately,
      my book is in Italian, and from what I can tell does not give very
      much instruction as to how to actually construct any of the pieces
      anyway. I was wondering if there was anyone on this list who might
      have done some research in this area and could direct or guide me as
      to where to look next. If so, I'd really appreciate any direction you
      can give me. Thanks,

      David Twynam
    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 15, 2007
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "olorin1984" <dscoblen@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        > I am interested in doing more research into period origami and other
        > paperfolding-like techniques. I am pretty familiar with what sorts of
        > things would have been around in period, both in Japan, and in Europe,
        > as it turns out however, it's not a lot.

        I would be interested to hear what you have found about "origami"
        before 1600. All I have found about paper folding in Japan has to do
        with either votives for Shinto temples or decorative folds and knots
        for letters.

        Many thanks,
        Saionji no Hanae
      • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 15, 2007
          > I would be interested to hear what you have found about "origami"
          > before 1600. All I have found about paper folding in Japan has
          > to do
          > with either votives for Shinto temples or decorative folds and knots
          > for letters.
          >
          > Many thanks,
          > Saionji no Hanae

          Konichiwa, Saionji-dono!

          I am very interested in the "Shinto Votive" paper folding, especially the rope barriers and folded prayer chains. Any lnks or references you can share?

          Capt Elias

        • Yolanda or Aeric
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 15, 2007
            Somewhere online, there is the "book of 1000 cranes" in japanese. If
            I remember correctly (and I probably don't) it was written pre 1600.

            If you can find it, it would be a good starting point.

            y.
          • wodeford
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 15, 2007
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Yolanda or Aeric <antir@...> wrote:

              > Somewhere online, there is the "book of 1000 cranes" in japanese. If
              > I remember correctly (and I probably don't) it was written pre 1600.

              Pardon, but if you are referring to this one, it is not:
              http://www.origami.gr.jp/Model/Senbazuru/index-e.html

              If you are refering to the story of Sadako Sasaki and the 1000 cranes,
              that one dates to 1945.
              http://www.sadako.org/sadakostory.htm

              Also of possible interest.
              http://origami.ousaan.com/library/historye.html

              Saionji no Hanae
              West Kingdom
            • olorin1984
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 15, 2007
                MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our many members who receive this list in digest format, we ask that you do not top post and that you edit anything from the previous message that does not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

                MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED AND EDITED.

                > I would be interested to hear what you have found about "origami"
                > before 1600. All I have found about paper folding in Japan has to do
                > with either votives for Shinto temples or decorative folds and knots
                > for letters.

                Saionji,
                I actually taught a class a couple of months ago on this subject and
                would be happy to share what I have found. I uploaded the handout
                from my class to the files section of the group as "Period Origami
                Handout.pdf"
                The handout gives a brief overview of some of the models that were
                around pre/around 1600 both in Europe, and in Japan. The handout
                doesn't go into much more detail regarding history, or even the
                origins of the word origami (which is pretty modern I believe), but it
                does have a list of references at the end with some excellent places
                to do further research.
                I would particularly recommend David Lister's esays on the subject.
                He is the historian of the British Origami Society and has written a
                lot on the history of origami.
                You can find his essays here:
                http://www.britishorigami.info/academic/lister/index.htm

                David
              • Yolanda or Aeric
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 15, 2007
                  At 10:43 AM 10/15/2007, you wrote:
                  >--- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Yolanda or Aeric <antir@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Somewhere online, there is the "book of 1000 cranes" in japanese. If
                  > > I remember correctly (and I probably don't) it was written pre 1600.
                  >
                  >Pardon, but if you are referring to this one, it is not:
                  >http://www.origami.gr.jp/Model/Senbazuru/index-e.html
                  >
                  >If you are refering to the story of Sadako Sasaki and the 1000 cranes,
                  >that one dates to 1945.
                  >http://www.sadako.org/sadakostory.htm
                  >
                  >Also of possible interest.
                  >http://origami.ousaan.com/library/historye.html

                  I said I probably didn't remember correctly the date it was written. :)

                  I've been folding for a couple of years now. You don't want to know
                  how many of the tiny stars or cranes or other things I've given
                  away. My lord has a modular swan on his desk at work that gets ooos
                  and ahs from his coworkers.

                  Lady Yolanda de Guelph MI
                  Artiste of Gryphonshold
                  "It's good to be the king. It's better to be Sylverstone."
                  ~Sylverstone, September Crown, 2007