Re: PBS program tonight about laminated (Japanese) Swords how they are made, et

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "henrikofhavn" <duke_henrik@...>
      wrote:

      > PBS program tonight about Japanese Swords - how they are made, etc.

      Thanks for the heads-up, Your Grace. It was well worth a look,
      especially the metallurgical details.

      If you missed it tonight, go to http://www.pbs.org and see when/if
      repeat broadcasts are scheduled for your local area.

      Jehanne de Wodeford (who is sometimes Saionji no Hanae)
      West Kingdom
    • Voron
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 10, 2007
        ... Is there an Oriental Section of the SCA? I am curious because I
        have a friend that thought the SCA sounded kinda neat but doesn't want
        to join since he is only really interested in Asian Weapons and stuff.
        I told him I didn't think that the SCA covers Asian stuff but I of
        course could be wrong about that. I is the Noob :p

        thanks for all the help btw
        Dufnial Saxonbane/Titus Volcatius Lanatus Pallidus (Still torn
        about my persona...)
      • wodeford
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 10, 2007
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Voron" <voron_20@...> wrote:

          > ... Is there an Oriental Section of the SCA? I am curious because I
          > have a friend that thought the SCA sounded kinda neat but doesn't want
          > to join since he is only really interested in Asian Weapons and stuff.
          > I told him I didn't think that the SCA covers Asian stuff but I of
          > course could be wrong about that. I is the Noob :p

          This language appears in the Introduction to the Society For Creative
          Anachronism Organizational Handbook and may be found on page 9 of the
          PDF at http://sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf

          "For Society members, most of the world, and all of the centuries
          prior to the 17th, can serve as a source for personal research.
          However, the further you go from the core of Medieval and Renaissance
          Europe, the less the environment we offer will resemble what someone
          of your time and country would find natural or homelike. For example,
          you can be an Asian or African guest at a European court, but you
          cannot expect others to share your special interests - like any
          long-term visitor in a foreign land, you are the one who will have to
          adapt to the customs you find around you. Since members have free
          choice of what areas they will explore, it follows that Society
          branches cannot decide to specialize in a specific time and place,
          since that would make it hard for members there to pursue their own
          interests in other times and places."

          I know a number of people with East Asian persona and (split my time
          as both Jehanne de Wodeford and Saionji no Hanae).

          If your friend is interested in pursing a Japanese persona,
          sca-jml@yahoogroups.com and the Tousando forum at
          http://tousando.proboards18.com/ may be of interest.

          Jehanne de Wodeford
          West Kingdom
        • Voron
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 14, 2007
            MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our members, please sign your posts so we know who you are. Thank you! Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

            Thanks