Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Question by a newbie

  • Folo Watkins
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
      > > I like the viking era but
      > >they and the English didn't really get along too well lol.

      Yeah. Not like the English themselves of earlier, current and later eras... :)

      Cheers, Folo
    • Despair Bear
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
        --- Voron <voron_20@...> wrote:

        > Randomly I was told that you can have a chopping
        > head on pole arms up
        > to 7 1/2 feet long (I will double check this later)
        > and really the
        > main point of the ax head on the weapon I was
        > designing was to catch
        > the edge of shields and pull them aside then I could
        > use the but spike
        > to score my hit. Also I realize that what I am
        > talking about is really
        > just a 7 1/2 foot long pole ax with a trusting tip
        > on both ends held
        > backwards. So I guess it is period though used
        > weirdly.

        A single cutting/smashing head is OK, I had got the
        impression that you where looking to have one on each
        end of the weapon which is not allowed. You may also
        encounter in some places what is referred to as a 90
        degree rule, meaning that a two handed weapon can not
        be swung threw a 90 degree arc. Check with your
        kingdoms conventions of combat.

        Godric

      • wodeford
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "henrikofhavn" <duke_henrik@...>
          wrote:

          > PBS program tonight about Japanese Swords - how they are made, etc.

          Thanks for the heads-up, Your Grace. It was well worth a look,
          especially the metallurgical details.

          If you missed it tonight, go to http://www.pbs.org and see when/if
          repeat broadcasts are scheduled for your local area.

          Jehanne de Wodeford (who is sometimes Saionji no Hanae)
          West Kingdom
        • Voron
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 10, 2007
            ... Is there an Oriental Section of the SCA? I am curious because I
            have a friend that thought the SCA sounded kinda neat but doesn't want
            to join since he is only really interested in Asian Weapons and stuff.
            I told him I didn't think that the SCA covers Asian stuff but I of
            course could be wrong about that. I is the Noob :p

            thanks for all the help btw
            Dufnial Saxonbane/Titus Volcatius Lanatus Pallidus (Still torn
            about my persona...)
          • wodeford
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 10, 2007
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Voron" <voron_20@...> wrote:

              > ... Is there an Oriental Section of the SCA? I am curious because I
              > have a friend that thought the SCA sounded kinda neat but doesn't want
              > to join since he is only really interested in Asian Weapons and stuff.
              > I told him I didn't think that the SCA covers Asian stuff but I of
              > course could be wrong about that. I is the Noob :p

              This language appears in the Introduction to the Society For Creative
              Anachronism Organizational Handbook and may be found on page 9 of the
              PDF at http://sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf

              "For Society members, most of the world, and all of the centuries
              prior to the 17th, can serve as a source for personal research.
              However, the further you go from the core of Medieval and Renaissance
              Europe, the less the environment we offer will resemble what someone
              of your time and country would find natural or homelike. For example,
              you can be an Asian or African guest at a European court, but you
              cannot expect others to share your special interests - like any
              long-term visitor in a foreign land, you are the one who will have to
              adapt to the customs you find around you. Since members have free
              choice of what areas they will explore, it follows that Society
              branches cannot decide to specialize in a specific time and place,
              since that would make it hard for members there to pursue their own
              interests in other times and places."

              I know a number of people with East Asian persona and (split my time
              as both Jehanne de Wodeford and Saionji no Hanae).

              If your friend is interested in pursing a Japanese persona,
              sca-jml@yahoogroups.com and the Tousando forum at
              http://tousando.proboards18.com/ may be of interest.

              Jehanne de Wodeford
              West Kingdom
            • Voron
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 14, 2007
                MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our members, please sign your posts so we know who you are. Thank you! Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

                Thanks