Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Question by a newbie

  • Kareina Talvi Tytär
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
      Dufnall Saxonbane (for now at least) wrote:
      >[snip]
      >Though I may rethink it as a lot of my nonSCA friends that I am
      >getting into the SCA with me are all doing late era English personas.
      >I am torn on weather or not I should change I like the viking era but
      >they and the English didn't really get along too well lol.
      [snip]

      One of the beauties of the SCA is that we do *not* all have the same persona!

      Because I, personally, have no interest in the late periods, I used
      to agree when people sitting around the camp fire late at night said
      things like "I wish the SCA-cut off period was moved up by (insert
      some # of centuries here) to get rid of all the late-period stuff".

      But then I went to the 21 birthday party of the son of one of the
      local SCA folk. Except for the three or four of us who are friends
      of his parents, the attendees, all very, very trendy young people
      (the boy in question works as a DJ at one of the city's most popular
      night-clubs), looked to be cut from the exact same cooky-cutter
      pattern. There was simply no variety to the look of any of them.

      Ever since that day, I've loved the variety inherent within the SCA.
      We may not be recreating any *one* time and place, but to me the
      value in not everyone looking the same is more than worth it! So, if
      you like the Viking Era, by all means, do what *you* like and don't
      worry about what your friends & loved ones choose. (though, if you
      all agree to do so, you can have fun interacting with one another
      once in a while *as your personas would have*, just be careful not to
      over do it!)

      --Kareina, in Ynys Fawr, Lochac
      (Tasmania, Australia)
    • Katherine Throckmorton
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
        Voron wrote:

        > >As for the name I wanted to be Viking so I looked up Viking names and
        > >found Dufnial/dufnall and really liked it it wasn't untill after I
        > >realized that I forgot to look up what time and exact area it was from
        > >(I feel kinda stupid about that).

        Don't feel bad about that. It happens all of the time, and most people
        *never* worry about figuring out exactly what time and place their name is
        from.
        .
        >I am torn on weather or not I should change I like the viking era but
        >they and the English didn't really get along too well lol.

        If you like doing Viking then do it and enjoy it. If you are minority
        persona in your area, it might be worthwhile to see if there are any Viking
        mailing lists that you can get on, since you can get the support there that
        you aren't getting in your local area. Also, if you continue to do Viking
        and do it well, you may find that people in your area develop a interest in
        doing Viking stuff.

        > >On a different topic I was also considering doing a just after the
        > >fall of Rome era persona (I believe that is as early as it goes though
        > > I would prefer to do a true roman persona). I was wondering if any one
        > >knew a good site to get late roman or just after the fall names for my
        > >persona.

        Technically speaking, the SCA has no early cut off. How acceptable Roman
        personas are varies depending on where you are, but at least in my area
        there are a fair number of people doing Roman with few raised eyebrows. A
        good source for Roman names are the articles at the Academy of St. Gabriel,
        which can be found here:
        www.s-gabriel.org/names
        If you want to change your persona entirely, that is a fine and valid
        choice. On the other hand, it is also possible to have two personas, if you
        don't want to give up your Viking life.

        -Katherine

      • Folo Watkins
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
          > > I like the viking era but
          > >they and the English didn't really get along too well lol.

          Yeah. Not like the English themselves of earlier, current and later eras... :)

          Cheers, Folo
        • Despair Bear
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
            --- Voron <voron_20@...> wrote:

            > Randomly I was told that you can have a chopping
            > head on pole arms up
            > to 7 1/2 feet long (I will double check this later)
            > and really the
            > main point of the ax head on the weapon I was
            > designing was to catch
            > the edge of shields and pull them aside then I could
            > use the but spike
            > to score my hit. Also I realize that what I am
            > talking about is really
            > just a 7 1/2 foot long pole ax with a trusting tip
            > on both ends held
            > backwards. So I guess it is period though used
            > weirdly.

            A single cutting/smashing head is OK, I had got the
            impression that you where looking to have one on each
            end of the weapon which is not allowed. You may also
            encounter in some places what is referred to as a 90
            degree rule, meaning that a two handed weapon can not
            be swung threw a 90 degree arc. Check with your
            kingdoms conventions of combat.

            Godric

          • wodeford
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "henrikofhavn" <duke_henrik@...>
              wrote:

              > PBS program tonight about Japanese Swords - how they are made, etc.

              Thanks for the heads-up, Your Grace. It was well worth a look,
              especially the metallurgical details.

              If you missed it tonight, go to http://www.pbs.org and see when/if
              repeat broadcasts are scheduled for your local area.

              Jehanne de Wodeford (who is sometimes Saionji no Hanae)
              West Kingdom
            • Voron
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 10, 2007
                ... Is there an Oriental Section of the SCA? I am curious because I
                have a friend that thought the SCA sounded kinda neat but doesn't want
                to join since he is only really interested in Asian Weapons and stuff.
                I told him I didn't think that the SCA covers Asian stuff but I of
                course could be wrong about that. I is the Noob :p

                thanks for all the help btw
                Dufnial Saxonbane/Titus Volcatius Lanatus Pallidus (Still torn
                about my persona...)
              • wodeford
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 10, 2007
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Voron" <voron_20@...> wrote:

                  > ... Is there an Oriental Section of the SCA? I am curious because I
                  > have a friend that thought the SCA sounded kinda neat but doesn't want
                  > to join since he is only really interested in Asian Weapons and stuff.
                  > I told him I didn't think that the SCA covers Asian stuff but I of
                  > course could be wrong about that. I is the Noob :p

                  This language appears in the Introduction to the Society For Creative
                  Anachronism Organizational Handbook and may be found on page 9 of the
                  PDF at http://sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf

                  "For Society members, most of the world, and all of the centuries
                  prior to the 17th, can serve as a source for personal research.
                  However, the further you go from the core of Medieval and Renaissance
                  Europe, the less the environment we offer will resemble what someone
                  of your time and country would find natural or homelike. For example,
                  you can be an Asian or African guest at a European court, but you
                  cannot expect others to share your special interests - like any
                  long-term visitor in a foreign land, you are the one who will have to
                  adapt to the customs you find around you. Since members have free
                  choice of what areas they will explore, it follows that Society
                  branches cannot decide to specialize in a specific time and place,
                  since that would make it hard for members there to pursue their own
                  interests in other times and places."

                  I know a number of people with East Asian persona and (split my time
                  as both Jehanne de Wodeford and Saionji no Hanae).

                  If your friend is interested in pursing a Japanese persona,
                  sca-jml@yahoogroups.com and the Tousando forum at
                  http://tousando.proboards18.com/ may be of interest.

                  Jehanne de Wodeford
                  West Kingdom
                • Voron
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 14, 2007
                    MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our members, please sign your posts so we know who you are. Thank you! Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

                    Thanks