PBS program tonight about laminated (Japanese) Swords how they are made, etc.

  • henrikofhavn
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
      PBS program tonight about Japanese Swords - how they are made, etc.

      For anyone who may be interested in blacksmithing and soft metal
      (Copper, silver, gold, alloys)working techniques that were used in
      Asia
      and are similar to some used in various European locations - in
      period,
      The sword construction methods are similar to some Viking era swords
      in terms of forging and working the metal in a charcoal fire.
      Although most Samurai Swords are different in shape to Viking swords,
      the ancient Japanese also made straight double edged sword blades (
      called "Ken" or "Tsurugi" swords ) that are similar to Viking sword
      shapes ( see the film "Rashomon" for an example of such a sword
      wielded by the "Bandit" character in the story.) The forging
      techniques presented apply to all blade shapes and are useful to know.

      I recommend watching the NOVA program tonight on PBS. Channel 9 (
      local San Francisco channel) at 8:00
      PM is presenting this program , which is about historical Japanese
      Swords. This program details how they were made ( blades and hilt and
      scabbards and associated fittings) and used.

      Henrik

      Nova October 9, 2007

      Episode: "Secrets of the Samurai Sword"

      The craft of the traditional swordsmiths; samurai fighting school and
      the discipline of sword making.
    • Kareina Talvi Tytär
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
        Dufnall Saxonbane (for now at least) wrote:
        >[snip]
        >Though I may rethink it as a lot of my nonSCA friends that I am
        >getting into the SCA with me are all doing late era English personas.
        >I am torn on weather or not I should change I like the viking era but
        >they and the English didn't really get along too well lol.
        [snip]

        One of the beauties of the SCA is that we do *not* all have the same persona!

        Because I, personally, have no interest in the late periods, I used
        to agree when people sitting around the camp fire late at night said
        things like "I wish the SCA-cut off period was moved up by (insert
        some # of centuries here) to get rid of all the late-period stuff".

        But then I went to the 21 birthday party of the son of one of the
        local SCA folk. Except for the three or four of us who are friends
        of his parents, the attendees, all very, very trendy young people
        (the boy in question works as a DJ at one of the city's most popular
        night-clubs), looked to be cut from the exact same cooky-cutter
        pattern. There was simply no variety to the look of any of them.

        Ever since that day, I've loved the variety inherent within the SCA.
        We may not be recreating any *one* time and place, but to me the
        value in not everyone looking the same is more than worth it! So, if
        you like the Viking Era, by all means, do what *you* like and don't
        worry about what your friends & loved ones choose. (though, if you
        all agree to do so, you can have fun interacting with one another
        once in a while *as your personas would have*, just be careful not to
        over do it!)

        --Kareina, in Ynys Fawr, Lochac
        (Tasmania, Australia)
      • Katherine Throckmorton
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
          Voron wrote:

          > >As for the name I wanted to be Viking so I looked up Viking names and
          > >found Dufnial/dufnall and really liked it it wasn't untill after I
          > >realized that I forgot to look up what time and exact area it was from
          > >(I feel kinda stupid about that).

          Don't feel bad about that. It happens all of the time, and most people
          *never* worry about figuring out exactly what time and place their name is
          from.
          .
          >I am torn on weather or not I should change I like the viking era but
          >they and the English didn't really get along too well lol.

          If you like doing Viking then do it and enjoy it. If you are minority
          persona in your area, it might be worthwhile to see if there are any Viking
          mailing lists that you can get on, since you can get the support there that
          you aren't getting in your local area. Also, if you continue to do Viking
          and do it well, you may find that people in your area develop a interest in
          doing Viking stuff.

          > >On a different topic I was also considering doing a just after the
          > >fall of Rome era persona (I believe that is as early as it goes though
          > > I would prefer to do a true roman persona). I was wondering if any one
          > >knew a good site to get late roman or just after the fall names for my
          > >persona.

          Technically speaking, the SCA has no early cut off. How acceptable Roman
          personas are varies depending on where you are, but at least in my area
          there are a fair number of people doing Roman with few raised eyebrows. A
          good source for Roman names are the articles at the Academy of St. Gabriel,
          which can be found here:
          www.s-gabriel.org/names
          If you want to change your persona entirely, that is a fine and valid
          choice. On the other hand, it is also possible to have two personas, if you
          don't want to give up your Viking life.

          -Katherine

        • Folo Watkins
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
            > > I like the viking era but
            > >they and the English didn't really get along too well lol.

            Yeah. Not like the English themselves of earlier, current and later eras... :)

            Cheers, Folo
          • Despair Bear
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
              --- Voron <voron_20@...> wrote:

              > Randomly I was told that you can have a chopping
              > head on pole arms up
              > to 7 1/2 feet long (I will double check this later)
              > and really the
              > main point of the ax head on the weapon I was
              > designing was to catch
              > the edge of shields and pull them aside then I could
              > use the but spike
              > to score my hit. Also I realize that what I am
              > talking about is really
              > just a 7 1/2 foot long pole ax with a trusting tip
              > on both ends held
              > backwards. So I guess it is period though used
              > weirdly.

              A single cutting/smashing head is OK, I had got the
              impression that you where looking to have one on each
              end of the weapon which is not allowed. You may also
              encounter in some places what is referred to as a 90
              degree rule, meaning that a two handed weapon can not
              be swung threw a 90 degree arc. Check with your
              kingdoms conventions of combat.

              Godric

            • wodeford
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "henrikofhavn" <duke_henrik@...>
                wrote:

                > PBS program tonight about Japanese Swords - how they are made, etc.

                Thanks for the heads-up, Your Grace. It was well worth a look,
                especially the metallurgical details.

                If you missed it tonight, go to http://www.pbs.org and see when/if
                repeat broadcasts are scheduled for your local area.

                Jehanne de Wodeford (who is sometimes Saionji no Hanae)
                West Kingdom
              • Voron
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 10, 2007
                  ... Is there an Oriental Section of the SCA? I am curious because I
                  have a friend that thought the SCA sounded kinda neat but doesn't want
                  to join since he is only really interested in Asian Weapons and stuff.
                  I told him I didn't think that the SCA covers Asian stuff but I of
                  course could be wrong about that. I is the Noob :p

                  thanks for all the help btw
                  Dufnial Saxonbane/Titus Volcatius Lanatus Pallidus (Still torn
                  about my persona...)
                • wodeford
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 10, 2007
                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Voron" <voron_20@...> wrote:

                    > ... Is there an Oriental Section of the SCA? I am curious because I
                    > have a friend that thought the SCA sounded kinda neat but doesn't want
                    > to join since he is only really interested in Asian Weapons and stuff.
                    > I told him I didn't think that the SCA covers Asian stuff but I of
                    > course could be wrong about that. I is the Noob :p

                    This language appears in the Introduction to the Society For Creative
                    Anachronism Organizational Handbook and may be found on page 9 of the
                    PDF at http://sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf

                    "For Society members, most of the world, and all of the centuries
                    prior to the 17th, can serve as a source for personal research.
                    However, the further you go from the core of Medieval and Renaissance
                    Europe, the less the environment we offer will resemble what someone
                    of your time and country would find natural or homelike. For example,
                    you can be an Asian or African guest at a European court, but you
                    cannot expect others to share your special interests - like any
                    long-term visitor in a foreign land, you are the one who will have to
                    adapt to the customs you find around you. Since members have free
                    choice of what areas they will explore, it follows that Society
                    branches cannot decide to specialize in a specific time and place,
                    since that would make it hard for members there to pursue their own
                    interests in other times and places."

                    I know a number of people with East Asian persona and (split my time
                    as both Jehanne de Wodeford and Saionji no Hanae).

                    If your friend is interested in pursing a Japanese persona,
                    sca-jml@yahoogroups.com and the Tousando forum at
                    http://tousando.proboards18.com/ may be of interest.

                    Jehanne de Wodeford
                    West Kingdom
                  • Voron
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 14, 2007
                      MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our members, please sign your posts so we know who you are. Thank you! Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

                      Thanks