Re: [Authentic_SCA] Question by a newbie

  • Roxanne Price
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
      Sounds to me like you are discribing something kind of like a Mahdu(sp?)Last I heard it was and indian or african style spear and ax combo.
      A fighter would be able to tell you more.
      Molly
    • henrikofhavn
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
        PBS program tonight about Japanese Swords - how they are made, etc.

        For anyone who may be interested in blacksmithing and soft metal
        (Copper, silver, gold, alloys)working techniques that were used in
        Asia
        and are similar to some used in various European locations - in
        period,
        The sword construction methods are similar to some Viking era swords
        in terms of forging and working the metal in a charcoal fire.
        Although most Samurai Swords are different in shape to Viking swords,
        the ancient Japanese also made straight double edged sword blades (
        called "Ken" or "Tsurugi" swords ) that are similar to Viking sword
        shapes ( see the film "Rashomon" for an example of such a sword
        wielded by the "Bandit" character in the story.) The forging
        techniques presented apply to all blade shapes and are useful to know.

        I recommend watching the NOVA program tonight on PBS. Channel 9 (
        local San Francisco channel) at 8:00
        PM is presenting this program , which is about historical Japanese
        Swords. This program details how they were made ( blades and hilt and
        scabbards and associated fittings) and used.

        Henrik

        Nova October 9, 2007

        Episode: "Secrets of the Samurai Sword"

        The craft of the traditional swordsmiths; samurai fighting school and
        the discipline of sword making.
      • Kareina Talvi Tytär
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
          Dufnall Saxonbane (for now at least) wrote:
          >[snip]
          >Though I may rethink it as a lot of my nonSCA friends that I am
          >getting into the SCA with me are all doing late era English personas.
          >I am torn on weather or not I should change I like the viking era but
          >they and the English didn't really get along too well lol.
          [snip]

          One of the beauties of the SCA is that we do *not* all have the same persona!

          Because I, personally, have no interest in the late periods, I used
          to agree when people sitting around the camp fire late at night said
          things like "I wish the SCA-cut off period was moved up by (insert
          some # of centuries here) to get rid of all the late-period stuff".

          But then I went to the 21 birthday party of the son of one of the
          local SCA folk. Except for the three or four of us who are friends
          of his parents, the attendees, all very, very trendy young people
          (the boy in question works as a DJ at one of the city's most popular
          night-clubs), looked to be cut from the exact same cooky-cutter
          pattern. There was simply no variety to the look of any of them.

          Ever since that day, I've loved the variety inherent within the SCA.
          We may not be recreating any *one* time and place, but to me the
          value in not everyone looking the same is more than worth it! So, if
          you like the Viking Era, by all means, do what *you* like and don't
          worry about what your friends & loved ones choose. (though, if you
          all agree to do so, you can have fun interacting with one another
          once in a while *as your personas would have*, just be careful not to
          over do it!)

          --Kareina, in Ynys Fawr, Lochac
          (Tasmania, Australia)
        • Katherine Throckmorton
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
            Voron wrote:

            > >As for the name I wanted to be Viking so I looked up Viking names and
            > >found Dufnial/dufnall and really liked it it wasn't untill after I
            > >realized that I forgot to look up what time and exact area it was from
            > >(I feel kinda stupid about that).

            Don't feel bad about that. It happens all of the time, and most people
            *never* worry about figuring out exactly what time and place their name is
            from.
            .
            >I am torn on weather or not I should change I like the viking era but
            >they and the English didn't really get along too well lol.

            If you like doing Viking then do it and enjoy it. If you are minority
            persona in your area, it might be worthwhile to see if there are any Viking
            mailing lists that you can get on, since you can get the support there that
            you aren't getting in your local area. Also, if you continue to do Viking
            and do it well, you may find that people in your area develop a interest in
            doing Viking stuff.

            > >On a different topic I was also considering doing a just after the
            > >fall of Rome era persona (I believe that is as early as it goes though
            > > I would prefer to do a true roman persona). I was wondering if any one
            > >knew a good site to get late roman or just after the fall names for my
            > >persona.

            Technically speaking, the SCA has no early cut off. How acceptable Roman
            personas are varies depending on where you are, but at least in my area
            there are a fair number of people doing Roman with few raised eyebrows. A
            good source for Roman names are the articles at the Academy of St. Gabriel,
            which can be found here:
            www.s-gabriel.org/names
            If you want to change your persona entirely, that is a fine and valid
            choice. On the other hand, it is also possible to have two personas, if you
            don't want to give up your Viking life.

            -Katherine

          • Folo Watkins
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
              > > I like the viking era but
              > >they and the English didn't really get along too well lol.

              Yeah. Not like the English themselves of earlier, current and later eras... :)

              Cheers, Folo
            • Despair Bear
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
                --- Voron <voron_20@...> wrote:

                > Randomly I was told that you can have a chopping
                > head on pole arms up
                > to 7 1/2 feet long (I will double check this later)
                > and really the
                > main point of the ax head on the weapon I was
                > designing was to catch
                > the edge of shields and pull them aside then I could
                > use the but spike
                > to score my hit. Also I realize that what I am
                > talking about is really
                > just a 7 1/2 foot long pole ax with a trusting tip
                > on both ends held
                > backwards. So I guess it is period though used
                > weirdly.

                A single cutting/smashing head is OK, I had got the
                impression that you where looking to have one on each
                end of the weapon which is not allowed. You may also
                encounter in some places what is referred to as a 90
                degree rule, meaning that a two handed weapon can not
                be swung threw a 90 degree arc. Check with your
                kingdoms conventions of combat.

                Godric

              • wodeford
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "henrikofhavn" <duke_henrik@...>
                  wrote:

                  > PBS program tonight about Japanese Swords - how they are made, etc.

                  Thanks for the heads-up, Your Grace. It was well worth a look,
                  especially the metallurgical details.

                  If you missed it tonight, go to http://www.pbs.org and see when/if
                  repeat broadcasts are scheduled for your local area.

                  Jehanne de Wodeford (who is sometimes Saionji no Hanae)
                  West Kingdom
                • Voron
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 10, 2007
                    ... Is there an Oriental Section of the SCA? I am curious because I
                    have a friend that thought the SCA sounded kinda neat but doesn't want
                    to join since he is only really interested in Asian Weapons and stuff.
                    I told him I didn't think that the SCA covers Asian stuff but I of
                    course could be wrong about that. I is the Noob :p

                    thanks for all the help btw
                    Dufnial Saxonbane/Titus Volcatius Lanatus Pallidus (Still torn
                    about my persona...)
                  • wodeford
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 10, 2007
                      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Voron" <voron_20@...> wrote:

                      > ... Is there an Oriental Section of the SCA? I am curious because I
                      > have a friend that thought the SCA sounded kinda neat but doesn't want
                      > to join since he is only really interested in Asian Weapons and stuff.
                      > I told him I didn't think that the SCA covers Asian stuff but I of
                      > course could be wrong about that. I is the Noob :p

                      This language appears in the Introduction to the Society For Creative
                      Anachronism Organizational Handbook and may be found on page 9 of the
                      PDF at http://sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf

                      "For Society members, most of the world, and all of the centuries
                      prior to the 17th, can serve as a source for personal research.
                      However, the further you go from the core of Medieval and Renaissance
                      Europe, the less the environment we offer will resemble what someone
                      of your time and country would find natural or homelike. For example,
                      you can be an Asian or African guest at a European court, but you
                      cannot expect others to share your special interests - like any
                      long-term visitor in a foreign land, you are the one who will have to
                      adapt to the customs you find around you. Since members have free
                      choice of what areas they will explore, it follows that Society
                      branches cannot decide to specialize in a specific time and place,
                      since that would make it hard for members there to pursue their own
                      interests in other times and places."

                      I know a number of people with East Asian persona and (split my time
                      as both Jehanne de Wodeford and Saionji no Hanae).

                      If your friend is interested in pursing a Japanese persona,
                      sca-jml@yahoogroups.com and the Tousando forum at
                      http://tousando.proboards18.com/ may be of interest.

                      Jehanne de Wodeford
                      West Kingdom
                    • Voron
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 14, 2007
                        MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our members, please sign your posts so we know who you are. Thank you! Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

                        Thanks