Re: [Authentic_SCA] Question by a newbie

  • Roxanne Price
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
      Sounds to me like you are discribing something kind of like a Mahdu(sp?)Last I heard it was and indian or african style spear and ax combo.
      A fighter would be able to tell you more.
      Molly
    • Voron
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
        In order:
        Yes I got that from the Viking Answer lady sorry for the lack of citation.

        I am in Misty Highlands in the Æthelmearc Kingdom.

        As for the name I wanted to be Viking so I looked up Viking names and
        found Dufnial/dufnall and really liked it it wasn't untill after I
        realized that I forgot to look up what time and exact area it was from
        (I feel kinda stupid about that). As I said I really like it so I was
        hoping it was from a period and area I would enjoy for my persona.
        Though I may rethink it as a lot of my nonSCA friends that I am
        getting into the SCA with me are all doing late era English personas.
        I am torn on weather or not I should change I like the viking era but
        they and the English didn't really get along too well lol.

        Randomly I was told that you can have a chopping head on pole arms up
        to 7 1/2 feet long (I will double check this later) and really the
        main point of the ax head on the weapon I was designing was to catch
        the edge of shields and pull them aside then I could use the but spike
        to score my hit. Also I realize that what I am talking about is really
        just a 7 1/2 foot long pole ax with a trusting tip on both ends held
        backwards. So I guess it is period though used weirdly.

        On a different topic I was also considering doing a just after the
        fall of Rome era persona (I believe that is as early as it goes though
        I would prefer to do a true roman persona). I was wondering if any one
        knew a good site to get late roman or just after the fall names for my
        persona. I just love the Roman empire and I love the whole Lorica
        Segmentata, Short sword and/or sort spear, and shield look.

        Grrr so indecisive. Well thanks for the help given already and I am
        sorry if I am completely nub sauce.

        Dufnall Saxonbane (for now at least)
      • henrikofhavn
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
          PBS program tonight about Japanese Swords - how they are made, etc.

          For anyone who may be interested in blacksmithing and soft metal
          (Copper, silver, gold, alloys)working techniques that were used in
          Asia
          and are similar to some used in various European locations - in
          period,
          The sword construction methods are similar to some Viking era swords
          in terms of forging and working the metal in a charcoal fire.
          Although most Samurai Swords are different in shape to Viking swords,
          the ancient Japanese also made straight double edged sword blades (
          called "Ken" or "Tsurugi" swords ) that are similar to Viking sword
          shapes ( see the film "Rashomon" for an example of such a sword
          wielded by the "Bandit" character in the story.) The forging
          techniques presented apply to all blade shapes and are useful to know.

          I recommend watching the NOVA program tonight on PBS. Channel 9 (
          local San Francisco channel) at 8:00
          PM is presenting this program , which is about historical Japanese
          Swords. This program details how they were made ( blades and hilt and
          scabbards and associated fittings) and used.

          Henrik

          Nova October 9, 2007

          Episode: "Secrets of the Samurai Sword"

          The craft of the traditional swordsmiths; samurai fighting school and
          the discipline of sword making.
        • Kareina Talvi Tytär
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
            Dufnall Saxonbane (for now at least) wrote:
            >[snip]
            >Though I may rethink it as a lot of my nonSCA friends that I am
            >getting into the SCA with me are all doing late era English personas.
            >I am torn on weather or not I should change I like the viking era but
            >they and the English didn't really get along too well lol.
            [snip]

            One of the beauties of the SCA is that we do *not* all have the same persona!

            Because I, personally, have no interest in the late periods, I used
            to agree when people sitting around the camp fire late at night said
            things like "I wish the SCA-cut off period was moved up by (insert
            some # of centuries here) to get rid of all the late-period stuff".

            But then I went to the 21 birthday party of the son of one of the
            local SCA folk. Except for the three or four of us who are friends
            of his parents, the attendees, all very, very trendy young people
            (the boy in question works as a DJ at one of the city's most popular
            night-clubs), looked to be cut from the exact same cooky-cutter
            pattern. There was simply no variety to the look of any of them.

            Ever since that day, I've loved the variety inherent within the SCA.
            We may not be recreating any *one* time and place, but to me the
            value in not everyone looking the same is more than worth it! So, if
            you like the Viking Era, by all means, do what *you* like and don't
            worry about what your friends & loved ones choose. (though, if you
            all agree to do so, you can have fun interacting with one another
            once in a while *as your personas would have*, just be careful not to
            over do it!)

            --Kareina, in Ynys Fawr, Lochac
            (Tasmania, Australia)
          • Katherine Throckmorton
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
              Voron wrote:

              > >As for the name I wanted to be Viking so I looked up Viking names and
              > >found Dufnial/dufnall and really liked it it wasn't untill after I
              > >realized that I forgot to look up what time and exact area it was from
              > >(I feel kinda stupid about that).

              Don't feel bad about that. It happens all of the time, and most people
              *never* worry about figuring out exactly what time and place their name is
              from.
              .
              >I am torn on weather or not I should change I like the viking era but
              >they and the English didn't really get along too well lol.

              If you like doing Viking then do it and enjoy it. If you are minority
              persona in your area, it might be worthwhile to see if there are any Viking
              mailing lists that you can get on, since you can get the support there that
              you aren't getting in your local area. Also, if you continue to do Viking
              and do it well, you may find that people in your area develop a interest in
              doing Viking stuff.

              > >On a different topic I was also considering doing a just after the
              > >fall of Rome era persona (I believe that is as early as it goes though
              > > I would prefer to do a true roman persona). I was wondering if any one
              > >knew a good site to get late roman or just after the fall names for my
              > >persona.

              Technically speaking, the SCA has no early cut off. How acceptable Roman
              personas are varies depending on where you are, but at least in my area
              there are a fair number of people doing Roman with few raised eyebrows. A
              good source for Roman names are the articles at the Academy of St. Gabriel,
              which can be found here:
              www.s-gabriel.org/names
              If you want to change your persona entirely, that is a fine and valid
              choice. On the other hand, it is also possible to have two personas, if you
              don't want to give up your Viking life.

              -Katherine

            • Folo Watkins
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
                > > I like the viking era but
                > >they and the English didn't really get along too well lol.

                Yeah. Not like the English themselves of earlier, current and later eras... :)

                Cheers, Folo
              • Despair Bear
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
                  --- Voron <voron_20@...> wrote:

                  > Randomly I was told that you can have a chopping
                  > head on pole arms up
                  > to 7 1/2 feet long (I will double check this later)
                  > and really the
                  > main point of the ax head on the weapon I was
                  > designing was to catch
                  > the edge of shields and pull them aside then I could
                  > use the but spike
                  > to score my hit. Also I realize that what I am
                  > talking about is really
                  > just a 7 1/2 foot long pole ax with a trusting tip
                  > on both ends held
                  > backwards. So I guess it is period though used
                  > weirdly.

                  A single cutting/smashing head is OK, I had got the
                  impression that you where looking to have one on each
                  end of the weapon which is not allowed. You may also
                  encounter in some places what is referred to as a 90
                  degree rule, meaning that a two handed weapon can not
                  be swung threw a 90 degree arc. Check with your
                  kingdoms conventions of combat.

                  Godric

                • wodeford
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "henrikofhavn" <duke_henrik@...>
                    wrote:

                    > PBS program tonight about Japanese Swords - how they are made, etc.

                    Thanks for the heads-up, Your Grace. It was well worth a look,
                    especially the metallurgical details.

                    If you missed it tonight, go to http://www.pbs.org and see when/if
                    repeat broadcasts are scheduled for your local area.

                    Jehanne de Wodeford (who is sometimes Saionji no Hanae)
                    West Kingdom
                  • Voron
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 10, 2007
                      ... Is there an Oriental Section of the SCA? I am curious because I
                      have a friend that thought the SCA sounded kinda neat but doesn't want
                      to join since he is only really interested in Asian Weapons and stuff.
                      I told him I didn't think that the SCA covers Asian stuff but I of
                      course could be wrong about that. I is the Noob :p

                      thanks for all the help btw
                      Dufnial Saxonbane/Titus Volcatius Lanatus Pallidus (Still torn
                      about my persona...)
                    • wodeford
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 10, 2007
                        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Voron" <voron_20@...> wrote:

                        > ... Is there an Oriental Section of the SCA? I am curious because I
                        > have a friend that thought the SCA sounded kinda neat but doesn't want
                        > to join since he is only really interested in Asian Weapons and stuff.
                        > I told him I didn't think that the SCA covers Asian stuff but I of
                        > course could be wrong about that. I is the Noob :p

                        This language appears in the Introduction to the Society For Creative
                        Anachronism Organizational Handbook and may be found on page 9 of the
                        PDF at http://sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf

                        "For Society members, most of the world, and all of the centuries
                        prior to the 17th, can serve as a source for personal research.
                        However, the further you go from the core of Medieval and Renaissance
                        Europe, the less the environment we offer will resemble what someone
                        of your time and country would find natural or homelike. For example,
                        you can be an Asian or African guest at a European court, but you
                        cannot expect others to share your special interests - like any
                        long-term visitor in a foreign land, you are the one who will have to
                        adapt to the customs you find around you. Since members have free
                        choice of what areas they will explore, it follows that Society
                        branches cannot decide to specialize in a specific time and place,
                        since that would make it hard for members there to pursue their own
                        interests in other times and places."

                        I know a number of people with East Asian persona and (split my time
                        as both Jehanne de Wodeford and Saionji no Hanae).

                        If your friend is interested in pursing a Japanese persona,
                        sca-jml@yahoogroups.com and the Tousando forum at
                        http://tousando.proboards18.com/ may be of interest.

                        Jehanne de Wodeford
                        West Kingdom
                      • Voron
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 14, 2007
                          MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our members, please sign your posts so we know who you are. Thank you! Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

                          Thanks