Re: Another Persona Question

  • Cécile de Brétigny
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
      All the history books that I have read generalize things to
      > the point that good documentation or further research is almost
      > impossible so could anyone point me to more specific research on any
      > aspect of that time period? Thanks, Sarah

      Sorry I am chiming in rather late on this subject. I am also
      researching French costume in the 16th century.

      The painters Jean and Francois Clouet were popular French court
      painters (like Hans Holbein in the Tudor court). If you do a google
      image search on "Clouet" you should find a lot. I started finding more
      images by searching on royal mistresses like Anne de Pisseleu
      d'Heilly, Francoise de Foix and Diane de Poitiers. Francois I prefered
      Italian tastes to Spanish ones, and it influenced how the court ladies
      dressed. There is an interesting article on this. "Living Dolls:
      François I Dresses His Women".

      http://muse.jhu.edu/demo/renaissance_quarterly/v060/60.1croizat.html

      French costume in Tudor England is rather touch and go--rather like
      the wives of Henry VIII. Spanish inspriration was common during
      Katherine of Aragon's popularity. Anne Boleyn's rise popularized
      French styles. With Jane Seymore, the styles shifted away from French
      styles (too scandalous). After Jane's death, French styles started to
      come back into vogue. With Edward VI and later Mary I, there was a lot
      of Spanish influence on women's fashion.

      Cecile de Bretigny
      Atenveldt
      ladycecilia@...