Re: numbers on linen and silk thread in my possession...

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 23, 2007
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "thlmaimuna" <thlmaimuna@...> wrote:

      > Greetings, All!
      >
      > I know there is no such thing as a dumb question, but I still preface
      > my questions with "here's a dumb question..."
      >
      > I've some wonderful linen and silk thread that has numbers and
      > slashes on the top of the spool...
      >
      > The linen spools are identified as 112/1 and 70/2. The silk spool is
      > identified as 60/2/2. Does anyone know exactly what these numbers
      > represent?

      Out of curiosity I looked for information on this because I've always
      wondered myself, and the closest thing I could find is the indirect
      numbering system in which the higher the number, the finer the thread,
      and for cotton at least, the higher number is how many 840 yard hanks
      would make a pound, and the smaller is the number of plies [plys?].
      There may be a specific system for linen, but I didn't find any in my
      brief perusal of what's out there. Places like Van Sciver Bobbin Lace
      [ http://www.vansciverbobbinlace.com/ ] may have someone knowledgeable
      that can give you more information.

      If you want to accurately measure how much you have you need a
      McMorran yarn balance, which uses weight to estimate yardage ][I
      gather it's pretty accurate].

      Eydís Gunnarsdóttir