Re: [Authentic_SCA] Higher Entry Standard Events?

  • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 14, 2007
      Moderator note: Apologies for any delays - evidently this got trapped in a spam filter by Yahoo.

      > No. Under Scadian rules, you can ask but cannot enforce.

      You CAN, however declare a theme for the event, and then offer incentive for theme compliance, such prizes for as thematic garb, table settings, etc.
      I have seen where this can be really effective, especially if you get Royalty to attend and have them support the theme.

      Capt Elias

    • Nastasiia Ivanova Medvedeva
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 17, 2007
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Terri Morgan" <online2much@...>
        wrote:

        > I have a Norse persona (well, actually, a 950 Manx persona) but in my
        > closet is one outfit for each of the 'main' SCA timeperiod/cultures that
        > seem to crop up as themed events. I won't wear an out-of-period
        outfit to an
        > event where I know the organisers have worked hard to create an
        atmosphere
        > of 'just out of a painting'. I know that this may be fighting words
        but - I
        > think it's rude.

        {snip}

        > Hrothny

        There is a difference between themed events and high-authenticity
        events, IMO, and I'm with you -- if there has been a lot of effort and
        a real push to create a particular theme and atmosphere, I won't go if
        I'm not interested in the period/theme/atmosphere, because I don't
        want to spoil it for others. I knew that wasn't the case for the
        event this past weekend, so I felt comfortable wearing what I wanted.

        Tasha
      • jjordan_12
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 18, 2007
          I was pointed to this:
          http://www.realviking.vikingagevessels.org/

          Which is an event run twice a few years back in the Midrealm. I'm
          intrigued by the parallels.

          Jester of Anglesey
          John (Tony) Jordan
        • Linda
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 21, 2007
            How very sad, someone did not respect your event. If they had been
            dressed as Cnut in the Mammen pictures for he really dressed quite
            dashing and even though they would have not been totally dressed in
            your period, atleast they would not have stood out like sore thumbs.

            Wish I could have seen your event.

            I think themed events are wonderful and even though I have not been
            involved in many I would love to do so in the future.

            YIS
            Dame Seraphine
          • msgilliandurham
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 26, 2007
              I wonder how setting aside an area for a display of "era-accurate"
              encampments would work? Maybe as part of a themed event? On the idea
              of "Artisans Row" but for encampments?

              YIS,
              Gillian Durham
            • Kevin Myers
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 26, 2007
                MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive this list in digest form, we ask that you not top post. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.
                (Message order edited.)

                --- msgilliandurham <msgilliandurham@...> wrote:
                > I wonder how setting aside an area for a display of "era-accurate"
                > encampments would work?

                This has been done at a couple of events here in Northshield over the
                last few years, quite successfully. At Autumn Rose in the Shire of
                Rokecliff (Lacrosse, WI) since about 2004 and up in Minot, ND? this
                summer. These endevours have been sponsored by members of the Order of
                the Pyxis, which is an award order recognizing excellence in period
                atmosphere here in Northshield.

                -Ollamh Cainnech ruad mcGuairi, OL, OPxs
              • Katherine Throckmorton
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 26, 2007
                  On 9/26/07, msgilliandurham <msgilliandurham@...> wrote:

                  > >I wonder how setting aside an area for a display of "era-accurate"
                  > >encampments would work?

                  That would depend largely on how the event was handling land allocation. In
                  general, I'd suggest getting a hold of the autocrat, or the deputy in charge
                  of the land allocation. Explain what it is you want to do, and the space it
                  will take. Once you have the space, it is just a matter of letting people
                  know that it is going on and coordinating the encampment.
                  If it is a event at Estrella, where there is already a period encampment
                  area, it would be easy to talk to the person who is in charge about getting
                  some space for a era-specific encampment, there are already a group of
                  Vikings who do that.

                  Enforcement isn't generally a issue, since the people who are in the camp
                  are fairly self-selecting.

                  -Katherine