Re: [Authentic_SCA] Higher Entry Standard Events?

  • Folo Watkins
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 14, 2007
      >Is is possible (allowed under the rules) to have an event with entry
      >standards higher than the simple attempt at pre-17th Century
      >clothing? Could you, for instance, have an event that required people
      >to show up in an attempt at Viking garb?

      No. Under Scadian rules, you can ask but cannot enforce. That's why we're
      seeing the development of more serious living-history groups from various
      periods.

      Of course, if a person shows up in a totally modern outfit (as I've seen in
      many local events as well as egregiously at Pennsic) , theoretically, you
      can ask them to change or leave, but *nobody* in the SCA would say anything :)

      Cheers, Folo
      www.micelfolcland.org
    • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 14, 2007
        Moderator note: Apologies for any delays - evidently this got trapped in a spam filter by Yahoo.

        > No. Under Scadian rules, you can ask but cannot enforce.

        You CAN, however declare a theme for the event, and then offer incentive for theme compliance, such prizes for as thematic garb, table settings, etc.
        I have seen where this can be really effective, especially if you get Royalty to attend and have them support the theme.

        Capt Elias

      • Sandra Dodd
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 14, 2007
          -=-Is is possible (allowed under the rules) to have an event with entry
          standards higher than the simple attempt at pre-17th Century
          clothing? Could you, for instance, have an event that required people
          to show up in an attempt at Viking garb?
          -=-

          The simple answer is that you can't "require."

          I've seen events pretty much succeed, but here's the really important
          difference:

          It can't be something like a Crown Tournament or Coronation. It
          can't be something involving serious official business (awards,
          peerage ceremonies, elevations of any sort). If you want to have
          something local/regional and small, you might mostly pull it off.

          We had a 1066 weekend here that worked out, but it was preceeded a
          month or two before by a day of presentations on the time period
          (language stuff (Norse effects on English, and why), where the Norse
          were travelling and trading, costume, the 1066 military excitement
          in England, prominent Normans (partly because certain names were
          coming up in various presentations)... I don't remember what all
          now, but it was a fun day.

          So that was preparation for the event itself, and the tournament was
          axes, and the food was a kind of potluck, but aimed to be foods they
          might have eaten (also discussed at the workshops, I think; it's been
          a while).

          Because it was presented entirely as "this will be FUN!" it worked.

          The barony supported it because it was a happy uplifting project and
          not a "we're better; you guys suck" exclusionary thing. There's
          another factor: Your local group will still need to sign whatever
          forms and sponsor and all that. We needed an insurance rider and the
          site we used was a groups only site and had to be rented by
          established groups.

          So it's not straightforward or guaranteed, but if your local area is
          open to the idea and you can find people to help you who are tactful
          and enthusiastic, you might pull off one special-period event.
          (Still, you couldn't turn someone away if all your advance promotions
          and pep talks didn't sell the idea fully.)

          AElflaed of Duckford
          Outlands

        • Katherine Throckmorton
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 14, 2007
            On 9/14/07, jjordan_12 <tjordan_12@...> wrote:

            > >Is is possible (allowed under the rules) to have an event with entry
            > >standards higher than the simple attempt at pre-17th Century
            > >clothing? Could you, for instance, have an event that required people
            > >to show up in an attempt at Viking garb?

            It could not be a *requirement* for entrance to the event. That said,
            having a "theme" event is quite possible. Taking your Viking example, it
            would be quite do-able to have "The Danelaw Day of Doom", and request that
            people show up in Viking garb. With an event like this it is often a good
            idea to plan a exciting day of Viking stuff, perhaps including a Viking
            themed feast.
            If Viking isn't popular in your area already, it might be a good idea to
            teach some classes on Viking clothing, starting 3-4 months before the
            event. Based on my experience with themed events in my area, I'd say that
            at least 75% of the people who come to the event will be dressed according
            to the theme the first year, and that number will go up if it becomes a
            popular annual event.

            -Katherine (catch more flies with honey) Throckmorton

          • jjordan_12
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 14, 2007
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Sandra Dodd <Sandra@...> wrote:

              > It can't be something like a Crown Tournament or Coronation. It
              > can't be something involving serious official business (awards,
              > peerage ceremonies, elevations of any sort). If you want to have
              > something local/regional and small, you might mostly pull it off.

              No official business is a great point. It would be inappropriate to
              exclude people from the business of the Kingdom.

              I was thinking small and local, but I've had inquiries from far away.

              > So it's not straightforward or guaranteed, but if your local area
              is
              > open to the idea and you can find people to help you who are
              tactful
              > and enthusiastic, you might pull off one special-period event.

              Tactful... I might have to outsource that. I don't have a great
              deal of tact. Maybe I'll just run this outside the SCA and avoid
              the headaches.

              Thank you, very much, for the answer and the excellent suggestions
              on how to proceed.

              Jester of Anglesey
              John (Tony) Jordan
            • jjordan_12
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 14, 2007
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Katherine Throckmorton"
                <katherine.throckmorton@...> wrote:

                > On 9/14/07, jjordan_12 <tjordan_12@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > >Is is possible (allowed under the rules) to have an event
                with entry
                > > >standards higher than the simple attempt at pre-17th Century
                > > >clothing? Could you, for instance, have an event that required
                people
                > > >to show up in an attempt at Viking garb?
                > >

                > It could not be a *requirement* for entrance to the event. That
                said,
                > having a "theme" event is quite possible. Taking your Viking
                example, it
                > would be quite do-able to have "The Danelaw Day of Doom", and
                request that
                > people show up in Viking garb. With an event like this it is often
                a good
                > idea to plan a exciting day of Viking stuff, perhaps including a
                Viking
                > themed feast.
                > If Viking isn't popular in your area already, it might be a good
                idea to
                > teach some classes on Viking clothing, starting 3-4 months before
                the
                > event. Based on my experience with themed events in my area, I'd
                say that
                > at least 75% of the people who come to the event will be dressed
                according
                > to the theme the first year, and that number will go up if it
                becomes a
                > popular annual event.
                >
                > -Katherine (catch more flies with honey) Throckmorton

                Thank you. I've already got the drafts of files that deal with
                costume, dining ware, and tentage completed (examples, patterns,
                where to buy what you don't care to make, etc...) and the tentative
                timeline calls for monthly gatherings so that folks can make
                clothing and share information prior to the event. I plan a
                YahooGroup, or something similar, for discussion and information
                sharing.

                But I'm thinking I might just do this outside the SCA rather than
                deal with the headaches (bruised egos and misperceptions of intent,
                mostly) that seem likely to occur.

                Thank you for the answer and suggestions.

                Jester of Anglesey
                John (Tony) Jordan
              • jjordan_12
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 14, 2007
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Folo Watkins <folo@...> wrote:

                  > >Is is possible (allowed under the rules) to have an event with
                  entry
                  > >standards higher than the simple attempt at pre-17th Century
                  > >clothing? Could you, for instance, have an event that required
                  people
                  > >to show up in an attempt at Viking garb?
                  >
                  > No. Under Scadian rules, you can ask but cannot enforce. That's
                  why we're
                  > seeing the development of more serious living-history groups from
                  various
                  > periods.
                  >
                  > Of course, if a person shows up in a totally modern outfit (as
                  I've seen in
                  > many local events as well as egregiously at Pennsic) ,
                  theoretically, you
                  > can ask them to change or leave, but *nobody* in the SCA would say
                  anything :)

                  > Cheers, Folo
                  > www.micelfolcland.org

                  Pity. I'd rather do this as part of the SCA rather than be
                  perceived as leading some elitist, separatist movement.

                  Thank you for the answer.

                  Jester of Anglesey
                  John (Tony) Jordan
                • Schrecht
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 14, 2007
                    Jester wrote:
                    > Tactful... I might have to outsource that. I don't have a great
                    > deal of tact. Maybe I'll just run this outside the SCA and avoid
                    > the headaches.

                    Outsourcing is a possibility. I'll say to you what I've said to many other talented, authenticity-minded people over the years: don't take your energies out. Stay and play, and make authenticity more fun for people. If you have to outsource, do it: recruit a cadre of evangelists, and a couple of ambassador types, and you stay out of the limelight, if that's what you have to do.

                    Got a little couch potato?
                  • Katherine Throckmorton
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 14, 2007
                      On 9/14/07, jjordan_12 <tjordan_12@...> wrote:

                      > >Thank you. I've already got the drafts of files that deal with
                      > >costume, dining ware, and tentage completed (examples, patterns,
                      > >where to buy what you don't care to make, etc...) and the tentative
                      > >timeline calls for monthly gatherings so that folks can make
                      > >clothing and share information prior to the event. I plan a
                      > >YahooGroup, or something similar, for discussion and information
                      > >sharing.

                      Good. This is precisely the sort of thing that you need to do if you are
                      trying to do a theme event, especially one that is encourages a
                      medium-to-high standard of authenticity. And I use the word "encourage"
                      deliberately. The key thing here is to Make It Fun.
                      "Yippee! Here is a chance to make Viking clothing! Viking clothing is
                      neat! And comfortable! And practical! Come here so you can have a neat new
                      outfit to wear to the Really! Spiffy! Viking! Event!, where we will eat
                      viking food and play viking games and raid Lindesfarne!" is a attitude that
                      is likely to be successful in getting a large number of people enthused
                      about the project, and getting everyone else to show up in a reasonable
                      attempt at Viking clothing.
                      "Ok guys, I know that none of you give a rats *ss about authenticity, but
                      for this event I expect everyone to at least *try* to show up in something
                      that looks Viking. I'd rather if everyone was dressed appropriately for
                      Viking age Dublin, but I'll be happy with "not inspired by Hagar the
                      Horrible". I'll be having sewing days at my house so that maybe some of you
                      will have clothes that don't totally suck." is a attitude that will cause
                      people to not show up for the prep classes and not show up for the event.

                      >But I'm thinking I might just do this outside the SCA rather than
                      > >deal with the headaches (bruised egos and misperceptions of intent,
                      > >mostly) that seem likely to occur.

                      Doing it outside of the SCA is just as likely to upset people, because it
                      will make it seem like you (and everyone else involved with the project) are
                      a bunch of joyless, stuffy hardcores who just want to sit around, knawing on
                      lutefisk and basking in the glow of your own self-rightiousness, who think
                      that the SCA "not good enough".
                      No matter wether you choose to run this as a private event or a SCA event,
                      the key thing is to remember that you are selling a particular time period
                      to people who have not bought the idea that doing Viking is cool. And like
                      all selling, this means that you need to be friendly, positive and not p*ss
                      off the customers.
                      If you real goal in all this is to find a group of people to do a high
                      authenticity Viking impression with, you have three options. The first is
                      to form a household. The second is to connect with people from all over the
                      SCA who want to do a authentic Viking encampment at a major War. The third
                      is to go off and form your own, small, tightly focused Viking reenactment
                      group.
                      The third option may seem like the most tempting, but I will say now that
                      small, narrow focus groups are very, very vulnerable to personality politics
                      and often become hidebound and boring very quickly.

                      The good thing about the SCA is that there are generally enough people
                      around that the group does not stagnate, and one person can't totally
                      dominate the entire SCA scene in one area. The other good thing is that our
                      lack of specific focus means that someone who normally does 16th century
                      English can say "Y'know, normally I'm a late period kind of gal. But the
                      Viking theme event that Jester is planning sounds really cool." and proceede
                      to spend the next few months taking a break from doing her usual period and
                      devote herself to the coolness that is going a-viking. And this last is
                      something that can work heavily in your favor if you want to do a theme
                      event in a SCA context.

                      -Katherine

                    • jjordan_12
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 14, 2007
                        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Katherine Throckmorton"
                        <katherine.throckmorton@...> wrote:

                        > Doing it outside of the SCA is just as likely to upset people,
                        because it
                        > will make it seem like you (and everyone else involved with the
                        project) are
                        > a bunch of joyless, stuffy hardcores who just want to sit around,
                        knawing on
                        > lutefisk and basking in the glow of your own self-rightiousness,
                        who think
                        > that the SCA "not good enough".

                        Yeah. :(

                        > No matter wether you choose to run this as a private event or a
                        SCA event,
                        > the key thing is to remember that you are selling a particular
                        time period
                        > to people who have not bought the idea that doing Viking is cool.

                        This I don't expect to have a problem with. Viking was just an
                        example. I'm actually looking at 1350-1450 Spain (Murcia, on the
                        border between Aragon and Granada). Selling *that* to
                        Outlanders... I expect most of them will very politely (and
                        completely in the spirit of helpfulness) rip my documentation to
                        shreds as they pull out their notebooks and show me their
                        research. :)

                        > And like
                        > all selling, this means that you need to be friendly, positive and
                        not p*ss
                        > off the customers.
                        > If you real goal in all this is to find a group of people to do a
                        high
                        > authenticity Viking impression with, you have three options. The
                        first is
                        > to form a household. The second is to connect with people from
                        all over the
                        > SCA who want to do a authentic Viking encampment at a major War.

                        I've actually been shocked since a few people from out of kindom
                        read my event draft and expressed an interest in attending. I
                        envisioned this being a fairly small gathering; just some folks
                        sharing a common interest getting together for a weekend and having
                        some fun.

                        > The third
                        > is to go off and form your own, small, tightly focused Viking
                        reenactment
                        > group.
                        > The third option may seem like the most tempting, but I will say
                        now that
                        > small, narrow focus groups are very, very vulnerable to
                        personality politics
                        > and often become hidebound and boring very quickly.

                        Not interested. While I'm happy to run the occasional event, I'm
                        not up to the day to day running of a group and I thank God on a
                        regular basis for the helium-handed volunteers that make the SCA
                        work. Besides, without the SCA, I wouldn't be doing this so I
                        wouldn't like to 'poach' members.

                        Jester of Anglesey
                        John (Tony) Jordan
                      • Katherine Throckmorton
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 14, 2007
                          On 9/14/07, jjordan_12 <tjordan_12@...> wrote:

                          >This I don't expect to have a problem with. Viking was just an
                          >example. I'm actually looking at 1350-1450 Spain (Murcia, on the
                          >border between Aragon and Granada). Selling *that* to
                          >Outlanders.

                          Ok, in that case you are in a even better position, because all you have to
                          do is persuade people to do something that they are already inclined to do,
                          and sit back while everyone else is swept up in the tidal wave of the
                          Reconquista. Since there are already a number of interested people in your
                          area this will be a big help on the planning weekends as well, since it
                          could very easily turn into a great chance for people with similar interests
                          to meet , network and have fun together. Hopefully this will work to reduce
                          any perception that you are pushing a stuffy elitist agenda.

                          >I've actually been shocked since a few people from out of kindom

                          > >read my event draft and expressed an interest in attending. I
                          > >envisioned this being a fairly small gathering; just some folks
                          > >sharing a common interest getting together for a weekend and having
                          > >some fun.

                          Well for anyone who is already interested in the period from out of kingdom,
                          this would be a rare opportunity to do their chosen period for a whole
                          weekend with a minimum of distraction, so it isn't too surprising. There
                          are people who come in from out of kingdom for a local themed event that
                          isn't nearly as well planned, or authentic, as your event sounds. It
                          sounds to me like your worries about people not coming to the event, or
                          coming and not participating in the theme may be exaggerated.

                          Good luck! It sounds like a fun event.

                          -Katherine

                        • Jennifer Mackay
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 14, 2007
                            In Antir, themed events tend to work well. There's lots of Vikings
                            around here (I'm not one), but there are other themes, too.

                            My persona is earlier than the 14th century, but I had an interest in
                            visiting a 14th c. English medieval living history place in WA state
                            north of where I live. It's not run by SCA, but another group; nice
                            place.

                            http://www.camlann.org

                            My husband went with me for our 3rd anniversary. It was fun, and nice
                            not to see a Ren Fairey thing with people selling fairy wings.

                            Gemma Northwode
                            Antir
                            Barony of Stromgard
                          • bronwynmgn@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 15, 2007
                              In a message dated 9/15/2007 5:02:19 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                              Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

                              <<I've actually been shocked since a few people from out of kindom
                              read my event draft and expressed an interest in attending. I
                              envisioned this being a fairly small gathering; just some folks
                              sharing a common interest getting together for a weekend and having
                              some fun.>>

                              That's because it's very difficult to find a Spanish-themed event in the SCA.
                              Honestly, there are a bunch of people in the SCA who are really into Spanish
                              stuff, but they are terribly scattered, and it's tough to find a
                              Spanish-themed event or even classes on Spanish stuff - even at Pennsic, one of my shire
                              mates is one of the few people who teaches anything Spanish, and sometimes
                              her classes are the only ones. But they are very well attended. We did a
                              Spanish event a few years ago and had a hurricane not come to call that weekend,
                              we'd have had over 100 Spanish geeks there from all over.

                              Brangwayna Morgan

                            • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 16, 2007
                                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "jjordan_12" <tjordan_12@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Is is possible (allowed under the rules) to have an event with
                                entry
                                > standards higher than the simple attempt at pre-17th Century
                                > clothing? Could you, for instance, have an event that required
                                people
                                > to show up in an attempt at Viking garb?
                                >
                                > John (Tony) Jordan

                                We've had a few themed events recently. The local NVGers turn up to
                                the Norse themed ones. Most SCAers here seem to have norse garb so
                                wear it along to norse themed events. I only have norse gear at the
                                moment, so had to wear it to the Venetian ball a few months ago. I
                                felt like the country cousin and am getting help to make a cotehardie
                                for the next ball, but no one batted an eyelid. The only comment we
                                got was "You guys look so cute! Can I take a picture of our 'northern
                                visitors'!" Usually if people are capable of doing so, they'll make
                                an attempt at garb that'll be suitable for the theme. If they can't,
                                they'll be intimidated and not want to go unless someone who seems
                                important enough to be trusted tells them to come anyway. If you
                                really want people to dress to a theme, you make it simple (15th
                                century Hungarian would be a bad choice for this) and provide lots of
                                info. That means website showing patterns, and themed A&S nights for
                                a few months prior. I'm told that if you want real support for a
                                themed event, you have to run it annually for at least 6 years. I
                                haven't been around long enough to test that though :)
                                Rosie
                                Inland Lochac
                              • Nastasiia Ivanova Medvedeva
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 16, 2007
                                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Rosie (aka Nawojka)"
                                  <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:

                                  {snip}

                                  > We've had a few themed events recently. The local NVGers turn up to
                                  > the Norse themed ones. Most SCAers here seem to have norse garb so
                                  > wear it along to norse themed events. I only have norse gear at the
                                  > moment, so had to wear it to the Venetian ball a few months ago. I
                                  > felt like the country cousin and am getting help to make a cotehardie
                                  > for the next ball, but no one batted an eyelid. The only comment we
                                  > got was "You guys look so cute! Can I take a picture of our 'northern
                                  > visitors'!" Usually if people are capable of doing so, they'll make
                                  > an attempt at garb that'll be suitable for the theme. If they can't,
                                  > they'll be intimidated and not want to go unless someone who seems
                                  > important enough to be trusted tells them to come anyway.
                                  {snip}
                                  > Rosie
                                  > Inland Lochac

                                  Eh, sometimes. I only own Viking garb, so that's what I wear. We had
                                  a Canterbury Tales themed event this weekend, so 14th-c English was
                                  the order of the day. I wore my usual clothing, and told everyone I
                                  was there as a ghost (would been an even better joke if I'd been able
                                  to do something Anglo-Saxon). I certainly wasn't the only one wearing
                                  other than themed garb, and I certainly didn't feel out of place.

                                  Tasha
                                • bronwynmgn@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 17, 2007
                                    In a message dated 9/17/2007 5:05:21 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                    Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

                                    <<We had
                                    a Canterbury Tales themed event this weekend, so 14th-c English was
                                    the order of the day. I wore my usual clothing, and told everyone I
                                    was there as a ghost (would been an even better joke if I'd been able
                                    to do something Anglo-Saxon). I certainly wasn't the only one wearing
                                    other than themed garb, and I certainly didn't feel out of place.>>

                                    I don't do clothing for different themed events; I figure if Brangwayna was
                                    attending something Norse, for instance, she'd be wearing her own 12th century
                                    English clothes and coming as a visitor. I have neither enough time nor
                                    enough money to come up with a whole bunch of clothes I will probably never wear
                                    again, not to mention no place to store them.
                                    No one has ever made me feel uncomfortable about doing so. If they ask why
                                    I didn't make whatever sort of garb, I tell them, and they think the one part
                                    of the reason (not enough time etc) is logical and the other (visiting a
                                    strange land) makes perfect sense when you think about it.
                                    That said, I don't often attend strictly themed events, because I don't want
                                    to screw up the atmosphere and I'm often not interested in the theme anyway.
                                    If I need to attend it for some reason, then I am there as a foreign
                                    visitor, something not too terribly unlikely in any case. If it's just a sort of
                                    "we'll say this is a Viking event, but we're not really doing much related to
                                    Vikings anyway" sort of event, then I go and don't concern myself with it.

                                    The only time I do try to dress appropriately is when I attend Company of
                                    St. Michael activities. This is a 14th century English tourney company that my
                                    husband belongs to, with a high standard of authenticity required before you
                                    get invited to join (effectively, it's a highly -focused SCA household).
                                    It's my husband's passion and, while I am not a member and therefore not
                                    required to follow their rules, I do it out of courtesy to them and to what they
                                    are trying to do, which is give a reasonable approximation of a 14th century
                                    tourney.

                                    Brangwayna Morgan

                                  • Terri Morgan
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 17, 2007
                                      I have a Norse persona (well, actually, a 950 Manx persona) but in my
                                      closet is one outfit for each of the 'main' SCA timeperiod/cultures that
                                      seem to crop up as themed events. I won't wear an out-of-period outfit to an
                                      event where I know the organisers have worked hard to create an atmosphere
                                      of 'just out of a painting'. I know that this may be fighting words but - I
                                      think it's rude.

                                      We had a guy in our area who moaned, groaned and sneered at all of us
                                      'because we weren't authentic enough'. When we hosted a themed event (Revels
                                      at the Inns of Court - Elizabethan era) and spent months teaching classes,
                                      setting up scenery, making clothing for anyone who wanted it (and doing that
                                      well enough that the Manteo folks - yes, those who just lost their garb in a
                                      fire, asked us to make clothing for them! They were guests at our event.)
                                      Anyway, up pops this guy and his 'household' all in furs and rough 'Viking'
                                      clothing. Since the entire event was in a huge Hall, there was no way to
                                      avoid the jarring effect. *I* will never do to others as that guy did to us.

                                      Hrothny
                                    • Nastasiia Ivanova Medvedeva
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 17, 2007
                                        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Terri Morgan" <online2much@...>
                                        wrote:

                                        > I have a Norse persona (well, actually, a 950 Manx persona) but in my
                                        > closet is one outfit for each of the 'main' SCA timeperiod/cultures that
                                        > seem to crop up as themed events. I won't wear an out-of-period
                                        outfit to an
                                        > event where I know the organisers have worked hard to create an
                                        atmosphere
                                        > of 'just out of a painting'. I know that this may be fighting words
                                        but - I
                                        > think it's rude.

                                        {snip}

                                        > Hrothny

                                        There is a difference between themed events and high-authenticity
                                        events, IMO, and I'm with you -- if there has been a lot of effort and
                                        a real push to create a particular theme and atmosphere, I won't go if
                                        I'm not interested in the period/theme/atmosphere, because I don't
                                        want to spoil it for others. I knew that wasn't the case for the
                                        event this past weekend, so I felt comfortable wearing what I wanted.

                                        Tasha
                                      • jjordan_12
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 18, 2007
                                          I was pointed to this:
                                          http://www.realviking.vikingagevessels.org/

                                          Which is an event run twice a few years back in the Midrealm. I'm
                                          intrigued by the parallels.

                                          Jester of Anglesey
                                          John (Tony) Jordan
                                        • Linda
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 21, 2007
                                            How very sad, someone did not respect your event. If they had been
                                            dressed as Cnut in the Mammen pictures for he really dressed quite
                                            dashing and even though they would have not been totally dressed in
                                            your period, atleast they would not have stood out like sore thumbs.

                                            Wish I could have seen your event.

                                            I think themed events are wonderful and even though I have not been
                                            involved in many I would love to do so in the future.

                                            YIS
                                            Dame Seraphine
                                          • msgilliandurham
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 26, 2007
                                              I wonder how setting aside an area for a display of "era-accurate"
                                              encampments would work? Maybe as part of a themed event? On the idea
                                              of "Artisans Row" but for encampments?

                                              YIS,
                                              Gillian Durham
                                            • Kevin Myers
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Sep 26, 2007
                                                MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive this list in digest form, we ask that you not top post. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.
                                                (Message order edited.)

                                                --- msgilliandurham <msgilliandurham@...> wrote:
                                                > I wonder how setting aside an area for a display of "era-accurate"
                                                > encampments would work?

                                                This has been done at a couple of events here in Northshield over the
                                                last few years, quite successfully. At Autumn Rose in the Shire of
                                                Rokecliff (Lacrosse, WI) since about 2004 and up in Minot, ND? this
                                                summer. These endevours have been sponsored by members of the Order of
                                                the Pyxis, which is an award order recognizing excellence in period
                                                atmosphere here in Northshield.

                                                -Ollamh Cainnech ruad mcGuairi, OL, OPxs
                                              • Katherine Throckmorton
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Sep 26, 2007
                                                  On 9/26/07, msgilliandurham <msgilliandurham@...> wrote:

                                                  > >I wonder how setting aside an area for a display of "era-accurate"
                                                  > >encampments would work?

                                                  That would depend largely on how the event was handling land allocation. In
                                                  general, I'd suggest getting a hold of the autocrat, or the deputy in charge
                                                  of the land allocation. Explain what it is you want to do, and the space it
                                                  will take. Once you have the space, it is just a matter of letting people
                                                  know that it is going on and coordinating the encampment.
                                                  If it is a event at Estrella, where there is already a period encampment
                                                  area, it would be easy to talk to the person who is in charge about getting
                                                  some space for a era-specific encampment, there are already a group of
                                                  Vikings who do that.

                                                  Enforcement isn't generally a issue, since the people who are in the camp
                                                  are fairly self-selecting.

                                                  -Katherine