Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Porcupine quills - used in period?

  • Sandra Dodd
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 2007
      I'm sorry I don't know the answer to the quill-use question, but am
      still on side business about porcupines.

      -=-Porcupines are Old World, as well, Wiki says the name comes from the
      Middle French porc d'épine "thorny pork".
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcupine-=-

      That would be "thorny pig."

      There were porcupines in Europe, too (slightly different ones).
      http://www.sandiegozoo.org/animalbytes/t-porcupine.html

      Because I've recommended etymology, I want to expand a little bit.

      "Alligator" comes from Spanish, "el lagarto" and there was a very
      early period term in English, used in my first husband's name, James
      Alagarto of Duckford. But it doesn't mean there were alligators in
      Spain. Spanish explorers named them when they saw them (in Florida,
      I think), and the English explorers picked the name up from them.

      Telephone is a Greek word, but the ancient Greeks didn't have
      telephones. Still, there are times when citations of use of a word
      in period IS proof of the existence of the object or the concept.

      Some of the oldest things we have and use are words, and though some
      people don't care to sort the old words and phrases from the new
      ones, it's a fun hobby (and cheap!) for those who have the interest.

      AElflaed of Duckford
      Outlands

    • Diane Sawyer Dooley
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2007
        Try replying via web post. I'd do it myself with this reply, but the government network I'm on blocks access to Yahoo!Groups. Not Yahoo!Mail, not Yahoo!, just Yahoo!Groups. Go figure.

        Tasha

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 5, 2007
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Amy Heilveil" <amyheilveil@...>
          wrote:

          > I have not seen any references to these being used as scribal tools in
          > Europe during the SCA time frame.

          I suppose I should clarify; these aren't those humongous ones from
          African porcupines, these are the skinny little ones that you can cut
          off the ends and use as essentially very long bugle beads. With a
          diameter of only about 3/64" and not a lot of tensile strength, they
          aren't very useful for writing. Wish they were; at least I could do
          something period with them.

          Eydís