Re: [Authentic_SCA] 15th century stitching?

  • Elizabeth Walpole
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 27, 2007
      <snip> A friend of ours has challenged her to
      > do her next piece of garb hand-sewn. I told her I'd be delighted to
      > help, and then asked what she is making. She has decided to make a
      > houpalande. I have no ideas what stitches and seam treatments were
      > used that late in period, and I am at a point in my PhD project where
      > I really can't spare the time to go looking (and the only one of the
      > above titles I own is Woven into the Earth, which wouldn't go that
      > late). Does anyone know off the top of their head what stitches and
      > seam finishes she should be using for this project?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > --Kareina

      Methods of creating a seam and stopping cloth from ravelling didn't change a
      lot (though there were some changes) until the invention of the sewing
      machine, you might want to look at this article
      http://heatherrosejones.com/archaeologicalsewing/index.html the techniques
      are grouped by fabric type (as that's the most influential factor in how you
      would sew a seam than the century). Not all the stitches are equally popular
      but it gives you an idea of a wide variety of different stitches you can
      use.
      HTH
      Elizabeth
      Elizabeth Walpole | Elizabeth Beaumont