Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: looking for Documentation on leather drawstring pouches

  • Elizabeth Walpole
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 31, 2007
      <snip> Thank you i went to the site and did what you said. they are not
      > exactly what i was thinking of what i was making was basicly a
      > leather circle that is drawn up with pull strings and hung of the
      > belt like seen in the movies.

      Sorry if people get this twice I accidentally double clicked on the reply
      button, which turns into the send button once you've clicked on it once so
      the second click was actually hitting send
      Anyway, I'm pretty sure I've heard that we don't have any evidence for
      pouches which are cut as a single circle with the edges gathered in period,
      it's not the most efficient use of a piece of fabric or leather (you've got
      to cut off all the corners and it's not very secure (easy for pickpockets to
      gain access to). Of course this could be one of those costuming myths but I
      think you need to start searching for circle pouches in any medium before
      limiting yourself to just leather.
      Elizabeth
      Elizabeth Walpole | Elizabeth Beaumont
      http://au.geocities.com/amiperiodornot/
    • Adele de Maisieres
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 31, 2007
        Robert Van Rens wrote:
        >> Um, I think the main problem you're having is that you've decided what
        >> to make and now you're trying to ind a justification for it.
        >>

        > Nonsense. Offhand, I can think of two huntsmen from Gaston Phebus that have
        > pouches like those described; some quick research will turn up others. Drew
        > Shoemaker makes a similar type of pouch; chskc his website and see if he
        > lists his source there.

        What is nonsense, exactly? The idea that you'll have more success if
        you do the research before the project?

        --
        Adele de Maisieres

        Habeo metrum - musicamque,