Re: Ignernt question regarding flint and steel

  • Pete McKee
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2007
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Karen" <kareni@...> wrote:

      > I haven't made fire; I have some linen I can put to making charcloth
      > and the rest of the kit, but so far, making sparks was as far as I've
      > gotten.
      >
      > EydĂ­s

      Eydis,

      If you can get sparks consistently, you've gotten past the major
      hurdle most folks have in learning to use the flint & steel. The
      other one is how to lay a fire using the proper mix of tinder,
      kindling, and fuel wood.

      It's good to see folks learning such a basic historical skill! Keep
      it up!

      Take care,
      Pete McKee
    • Rob Lewis
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 21, 2007
        Also experiment with different charcloth materials, some will work better
        for you than others. Personally I have had pretty good luck with charcloth I
        made from burlap, I had no luck with the fine cotton based charcloth that
        the person who started me out preferred. I have not used mine very much so
        far, but the key thing seems to be that you have to keep experimenting to
        find the best setup for yourself.

        Ivan Kosinski
        College of Brymstonne
        Atenveldt