Re: [Authentic_SCA] Needed: Books on Sewing Accessories

  • Heather Rose Jones
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2007
      On Sep 3, 2007, at 3:32 PM, Jessica wrote:

      > Greetings, All,
      >
      > I'm going to be doing some research on Needles and Pins in the 12th
      > Century.
      > Does anyone have any suggestions on where I would look? I have
      > three books
      > out from the library on general antique/historical sewing
      > accessories, but
      > I'd like to know if there's anything that I've overlooked.

      In my experience, books on antique sewing accessories don't tend to
      be useful: small iron objects aren't likely to have survived but bone
      or bronze might. If you were looking more at the 14-15th century,
      then paintings and manuscript illustrations might be a good source
      (either for dressing pins or for depictions of needlework), but the
      12th century is a bit early for that level of detail or type of
      motif. I have a vague recollection that the Shire Archaeology series
      has a pamphlet on pin/needle makers that reaches back a bit further
      than your typical antiques book (although perhaps not as early as the
      12th century). Again, if your target were a couple centuries later,
      then wills, inventories, and household accounts might provide some
      useful information, but I'm not sure what's available that early.

      Tangwystyl
    • Cynthia J Ley
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2007
        Check out:

        Andare, Mary. Old Needlework Boxes and Tools: Their Story and how to
        Collect Them.
        Lots of history, and a fun read.

        Groves, Sylvia. History of Needlework Tools and Accessories. Lots of
        history, lots of fun, lots of photos of period stuff.

        Arlys

        On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 16:32:11 -0600 "Jessica" <noinini@...> writes:
        > Greetings, All,
        >
        > I'm going to be doing some research on Needles and Pins in the 12th
        > Century.
        > Does anyone have any suggestions on where I would look? I have
        > three books
        > out from the library on general antique/historical sewing
        > accessories, but
        > I'd like to know if there's anything that I've overlooked.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Findabhair

      • Tiffany Brown
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2007
          On 04/09/07, Heather Rose Jones <heather.jones@...> wrote:
          > Archaeological reports might be useful: small iron objects aren't likely to have survived
          > but bone or bronze might.

          Definitely archaeological reports. For 12th C, the museum of London
          books are an easy place to start. The york archeology books are
          probably great too (but no Libraries in Australia have any of them
          <sigh>) and should cover this period. Look for books that cover
          "small finds" "dress accessories" "metalwork" "household items"
          "textile items" especially.

          The trouble with pins is that it's really tricky to determine what is
          a sewing pin and what a pin used to fasten clothing. But since I often
          use sewing pins to fasten my clothing anyway, this difference may be
          moot. I imagine the sewing pins will generally be the plainer pins,
          and not the largest ones. Needles are a lot easier to be sure about,
          but watch out for large blunt bone, horn or antler needles. These
          would most likely be used for naalbinding, not sewing.

          The other point is that when I'm handsewing my 12th C garments, I
          don't commonly use more than half a dozen pins. I generally find it
          easier to match the seams together as I sew than have them pre pinned.
          I don't know if this is typical or not, but I really don't need many
          pins to handsew shapes that are mostly squares.

          Finally, there is a passage by Alexander Nequam translated in UT
          Holmes "Daily living in the 12th Century" that discusses what needles
          a maid should have. It's really a primary school primer designed to
          teach latin words, so the list may not be accurate in composition, but
          it should be giving a list of all the common types of needle (common
          enough to be known to a worldly clergyman) that existed at the time.

          Teffania
        • Sandra Dodd
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2007
            -=-http://www.metaldetectingtours.com/htm/
            artifact_coin_finds_saxon_medieval.shtml-=-

            There's a thimble there
            and another one on the third page of the Anglo-Saxon/Medieval section.

            AElflaed
            Outlands