Porcupine quills - used in period?

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2007
      I have about a sandwich baggie full [they are in a plastic container,
      fortunately] of porcupine quills. I looked and didn't see any use in
      period, but I could have missed something...I know they were used by
      Native Americans, but how about in Europe? Europeans were aware of
      porcupines [vis-a-vis manticores and the porky's use as one of Louis
      XII's symbols] but did they ever do anything besides admire the
      porcupine's ability to fend off attackers?

      Eydís Gunnarsdóttir
    • squire009
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2007
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Karen" <kareni@...> wrote:

        > I have about a sandwich baggie full [they are in a plastic container,
        > fortunately] of porcupine quills. I looked and didn't see any use in
        > period, but I could have missed something...I know they were used by
        > Native Americans, but how about in Europe? Europeans were aware of
        > porcupines [vis-a-vis manticores and the porky's use as one of Louis
        > XII's symbols] but did they ever do anything besides admire the
        > porcupine's ability to fend off attackers?
        >
        > Eydís Gunnarsdóttir

        Porcupines are Old World, as well, Wiki says the name comes from the
        Middle French porc d'épine "thorny pork".
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcupine

        Alcyoneus
      • Sandra Dodd
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 4, 2007
          I'm sorry I don't know the answer to the quill-use question, but am
          still on side business about porcupines.

          -=-Porcupines are Old World, as well, Wiki says the name comes from the
          Middle French porc d'épine "thorny pork".
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcupine-=-

          That would be "thorny pig."

          There were porcupines in Europe, too (slightly different ones).
          http://www.sandiegozoo.org/animalbytes/t-porcupine.html

          Because I've recommended etymology, I want to expand a little bit.

          "Alligator" comes from Spanish, "el lagarto" and there was a very
          early period term in English, used in my first husband's name, James
          Alagarto of Duckford. But it doesn't mean there were alligators in
          Spain. Spanish explorers named them when they saw them (in Florida,
          I think), and the English explorers picked the name up from them.

          Telephone is a Greek word, but the ancient Greeks didn't have
          telephones. Still, there are times when citations of use of a word
          in period IS proof of the existence of the object or the concept.

          Some of the oldest things we have and use are words, and though some
          people don't care to sort the old words and phrases from the new
          ones, it's a fun hobby (and cheap!) for those who have the interest.

          AElflaed of Duckford
          Outlands

        • Kathleen Keeler
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 4, 2007
            > > I have about a sandwich baggie full [they are in a plastic container,
            > > fortunately] of porcupine quills. I looked and didn't see any use in
            > > period, but I could have missed something...I know they were used by
            > > Native Americans, but how about in Europe? Europeans were aware of
            > > porcupines [vis-a-vis manticores and the porky's use as one of Louis
            > > XII's symbols] but did they ever do anything besides admire the
            > > porcupine's ability to fend off attackers?
            > >
            > > Eydís Gunnarsdóttir
            > >

            > Porcupines are Old World, as well, Wiki says the name comes from the
            > Middle French porc d'épine "thorny pork".
            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcupine
            > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcupine>
            >
            > Alcyoneus
            >
            > _
            > According to my "Natural History of Europe" by Paul Hamlin: the
            > common or crested porcupine is found in south Italy and the central
            > Balkans. "a rodent with powerful gnawing teeth capable of tackling a
            > wide range of vegetable foodstuffs. ...dusk and noctural animals
            > living in cultivated areas."

            So, apparently parts of Europe had them available, but in contrast to
            North America, in the south, not the north. And as a terrestrial not
            arborial animal.

            (yahoo drives me crazy trying to edit to reply to messages. This is a
            test: as I write it's appearing along the right margin and now on the
            bottom. Suggestions welcome.)
            Agnes deLanvallei

            > _,_._,__

          • Amy Heilveil
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 4, 2007
              I have not seen any references to these being used as scribal tools in
              Europe during the SCA time frame. Sorry. :( I'm not the end all and
              be all of scribal sources, but I'm fairly extensively read on the
              topic.

              OTOH, you could use them and envelope the 'holding' end in a fitted
              wooden tube. You'd get to use them and it wouldn't look odd.

              How are they for writing? I really like my fowl quills.

              Smiles,
              Despina de la just sticking my nose in for a minute
            • Diane Sawyer Dooley
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 4, 2007
                Try replying via web post. I'd do it myself with this reply, but the government network I'm on blocks access to Yahoo!Groups. Not Yahoo!Mail, not Yahoo!, just Yahoo!Groups. Go figure.

                Tasha

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 5, 2007
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Amy Heilveil" <amyheilveil@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I have not seen any references to these being used as scribal tools in
                  > Europe during the SCA time frame.

                  I suppose I should clarify; these aren't those humongous ones from
                  African porcupines, these are the skinny little ones that you can cut
                  off the ends and use as essentially very long bugle beads. With a
                  diameter of only about 3/64" and not a lot of tensile strength, they
                  aren't very useful for writing. Wish they were; at least I could do
                  something period with them.

                  Eydís