Re: Ignernt question regarding flint and steel

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2007
      You need a sharp edge, and that will wear with use
      > (the chipping you're experiencing). Have you made fire with your
      > flint & steel yet?

      Ok, now I get the picture. This is as bad as me being a city kid
      trying to learn country stuff... : )

      I haven't made fire; I have some linen I can put to making charcloth
      and the rest of the kit, but so far, making sparks was as far as I've
      gotten.

      Eydís
    • Pete McKee
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 2007
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Karen" <kareni@...> wrote:

        > I haven't made fire; I have some linen I can put to making charcloth
        > and the rest of the kit, but so far, making sparks was as far as I've
        > gotten.
        >
        > Eydís

        Eydis,

        If you can get sparks consistently, you've gotten past the major
        hurdle most folks have in learning to use the flint & steel. The
        other one is how to lay a fire using the proper mix of tinder,
        kindling, and fuel wood.

        It's good to see folks learning such a basic historical skill! Keep
        it up!

        Take care,
        Pete McKee
      • Rob Lewis
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 21, 2007
          Also experiment with different charcloth materials, some will work better
          for you than others. Personally I have had pretty good luck with charcloth I
          made from burlap, I had no luck with the fine cotton based charcloth that
          the person who started me out preferred. I have not used mine very much so
          far, but the key thing seems to be that you have to keep experimenting to
          find the best setup for yourself.

          Ivan Kosinski
          College of Brymstonne
          Atenveldt