Ignernt question regarding flint and steel

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2007
      I have a flint and steel that makes sparks when I hit it right, but is
      it supposed to knock off flint chips? I found another piece of flint
      in my rock collection and got the same result, and I don't remember
      reading that the rock was supposed to chip and I wonder what I'm doing
      wrong.

      Eydís Gunnarsdóttir
    • Pete McKee
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Karen" <kareni@...> wrote:

        > I have a flint and steel that makes sparks when I hit it right,
        but is
        > it supposed to knock off flint chips? ... I wonder what I'm doing
        > wrong.
        >
        > Eydís Gunnarsdóttir

        Eydis,

        You're not doing anything wrong. Flint is a glassy stone and will
        chip with use. Normally it is only small chips. Sometimes, it is
        not even noticable, but, if you are using a rather thin piece of
        flint, it is more likely to chip, and even break. The sharp edge of
        the flint is shaving off red hot curls of steel. These are the
        sparks you see. You need a sharp edge, and that will wear with use
        (the chipping you're experiencing). Have you made fire with your
        flint & steel yet?

        Take care,
        Pete McKee
      • Folo Watkins
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007
          >I have a flint and steel that makes sparks when I hit it right, but is
          >it supposed to knock off flint chips? I found another piece of flint
          >in my rock collection and got the same result, and I don't remember
          >reading that the rock was supposed to chip and I wonder what I'm doing
          >wrong.

          There is a steady market for new flintstones for muskets in later-period
          reenactment because for it to work, it must constantly be adjusted and
          replaced.

          Recently on Revlist (I think; it could have been a Regia list, but I've
          slept since then), someone cautioned during a thread on firemaking, don't
          use wool scraps as tinder. She said that she tried for an hour, getting
          more frustrated all the time, until someone pointed out that wool was a
          fire retardant. Use char cloth made from linen (preferably) and unwoven flax!

          Cheers, Folo
        • Karen
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 3, 2007
            You need a sharp edge, and that will wear with use
            > (the chipping you're experiencing). Have you made fire with your
            > flint & steel yet?

            Ok, now I get the picture. This is as bad as me being a city kid
            trying to learn country stuff... : )

            I haven't made fire; I have some linen I can put to making charcloth
            and the rest of the kit, but so far, making sparks was as far as I've
            gotten.

            Eydís
          • Pete McKee
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 3, 2007
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Karen" <kareni@...> wrote:

              > I haven't made fire; I have some linen I can put to making charcloth
              > and the rest of the kit, but so far, making sparks was as far as I've
              > gotten.
              >
              > Eydís

              Eydis,

              If you can get sparks consistently, you've gotten past the major
              hurdle most folks have in learning to use the flint & steel. The
              other one is how to lay a fire using the proper mix of tinder,
              kindling, and fuel wood.

              It's good to see folks learning such a basic historical skill! Keep
              it up!

              Take care,
              Pete McKee
            • Rob Lewis
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 21, 2007
                Also experiment with different charcloth materials, some will work better
                for you than others. Personally I have had pretty good luck with charcloth I
                made from burlap, I had no luck with the fine cotton based charcloth that
                the person who started me out preferred. I have not used mine very much so
                far, but the key thing seems to be that you have to keep experimenting to
                find the best setup for yourself.

                Ivan Kosinski
                College of Brymstonne
                Atenveldt