Re: [Authentic_SCA] Out of Persona Activities

  • bronwynmgn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2007
      In a message dated 9/1/2007 5:10:55 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

      <<What does one do with activities that are either out of time period
      for your persona or not "gender appropriate" for your persona. I am
      interested in many of the metal working arts (blade making, armor
      making, and farrier work) but as my perspective persona (I haven't
      completely decided yet so this may change) is a 16th century noble
      woman it wouldn't be historically accurate for a noble woman (and I
      haven't found any documentation on any women metalsmiths). >>

      In general, do the activities. A lot of it may be done away from events,
      where your persona won't matter. If doing them at an event or demo, dress
      appropriately to the work you are doing and don't mention your persona to those
      watching and asking questions - your persona at that moment is an armourer,
      regardless of what she might be during the later feast and dancing. Lots of
      folks have multiple personas for a variety of reasons.

      There is an East Kingdom Metalsmith's guild, which I I think has a yahoo
      list. As many of the guild members are women, I wouldn't be surprised if they
      have amassed references to female metalsmiths. I know that there is at least
      one medieval bell on which is engraved "Johanna made me" (in Latin, of
      course, and name genders are pretty clear in Latin), but I can't for the life of me
      remember where I found that tidbit of info...

      Brangwayna Morgan