Re: [Authentic_SCA] Out of Persona Activities

  • Sandra Dodd
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2007
      -=-What does one do with activities that are either out of time period
      for your persona or not "gender appropriate" for your persona. I am
      interested in many of the metal working arts (blade making, armor
      making, and farrier work) but as my perspective persona (I haven't
      completely decided yet so this may change) is a 16th century noble
      woman it wouldn't be historically accurate for a noble woman (and I
      haven't found any documentation on any women metalsmiths). I'm not
      just interested in metalsmithing but any one who has dealt with trying
      to make something they enjoy mesh with their persona.-=-

      That's one of the drawbacks of serious focus on persona.
      What does your persona do about being around people of a 600 year or
      more timespan other times?

      Some kingdoms are not very persona-focussed, and some are moreso.
      Same with baronies, and households. In some places people are more
      likely to have either multiple personae or just lots of costumes from
      different periods and for different purposes. They will dress to the
      theme of the event.

      Years ago, when the only other similar group was the Civil War guys,
      it was easy to contrast the two. They were doing a particular thing
      in a particular time. I used to describe the SCA as a medieval-
      studies co-op.

      In a medieval studies co-op, people share what they know in exchange
      for learning what other people know. Learning about blacksmithing
      would help you appreciate metalwork when you see it, from then on,
      just like beginning to learn an instrument is valuable even if you
      abandon the project, because afterwards you appreciate what it takes
      to be good at such an instrument.

      -=- it wouldn't be historically accurate for a noble woman-=-

      I've made tents and done calligraphy and cooked and sung and taught
      classes at events, but if my persona includes being a noblewoman (for
      being a peer and a countess, if not just for the "we're all of the
      gentry" assumption), I'm already doing things that wouldn't be
      historically accurate for a noblewoman. I do my own laundry and
      dishes.

      Each person finds a comfortable landing concerning persona, but maybe
      some of those ideas will help.

      AElflaed of Duckford,
      Outlands

    • bronwynmgn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2007
        In a message dated 9/1/2007 5:10:55 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

        <<What does one do with activities that are either out of time period
        for your persona or not "gender appropriate" for your persona. I am
        interested in many of the metal working arts (blade making, armor
        making, and farrier work) but as my perspective persona (I haven't
        completely decided yet so this may change) is a 16th century noble
        woman it wouldn't be historically accurate for a noble woman (and I
        haven't found any documentation on any women metalsmiths). >>

        In general, do the activities. A lot of it may be done away from events,
        where your persona won't matter. If doing them at an event or demo, dress
        appropriately to the work you are doing and don't mention your persona to those
        watching and asking questions - your persona at that moment is an armourer,
        regardless of what she might be during the later feast and dancing. Lots of
        folks have multiple personas for a variety of reasons.

        There is an East Kingdom Metalsmith's guild, which I I think has a yahoo
        list. As many of the guild members are women, I wouldn't be surprised if they
        have amassed references to female metalsmiths. I know that there is at least
        one medieval bell on which is engraved "Johanna made me" (in Latin, of
        course, and name genders are pretty clear in Latin), but I can't for the life of me
        remember where I found that tidbit of info...

        Brangwayna Morgan