Re: [Authentic_SCA] Another Persona Question

  • Sandra Dodd
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2007
      This might be too adventurous and risky (though you'll be safe in
      your desk chair), but...

      A few times I've had some luck with using google and searching on a
      foreign domain. Maybe you could translate a phrase with the
      language translator and then go to languages, choose France or French
      (so you get the Canadian stuff too) and then images, and see what
      comes up that way.

      There is probably lots of French research just not translated into
      English.

      I've usually just been looking for the images and not accompanying
      text, and it's never been about costume, but I've had some
      interesting finds that way.

      AElflaed of Duckford
      Outlands
    • Cécile de Brétigny
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
        All the history books that I have read generalize things to
        > the point that good documentation or further research is almost
        > impossible so could anyone point me to more specific research on any
        > aspect of that time period? Thanks, Sarah

        Sorry I am chiming in rather late on this subject. I am also
        researching French costume in the 16th century.

        The painters Jean and Francois Clouet were popular French court
        painters (like Hans Holbein in the Tudor court). If you do a google
        image search on "Clouet" you should find a lot. I started finding more
        images by searching on royal mistresses like Anne de Pisseleu
        d'Heilly, Francoise de Foix and Diane de Poitiers. Francois I prefered
        Italian tastes to Spanish ones, and it influenced how the court ladies
        dressed. There is an interesting article on this. "Living Dolls:
        François I Dresses His Women".

        http://muse.jhu.edu/demo/renaissance_quarterly/v060/60.1croizat.html

        French costume in Tudor England is rather touch and go--rather like
        the wives of Henry VIII. Spanish inspriration was common during
        Katherine of Aragon's popularity. Anne Boleyn's rise popularized
        French styles. With Jane Seymore, the styles shifted away from French
        styles (too scandalous). After Jane's death, French styles started to
        come back into vogue. With Edward VI and later Mary I, there was a lot
        of Spanish influence on women's fashion.

        Cecile de Bretigny
        Atenveldt
        ladycecilia@...