13th century pattens?

  • Sarah Michele Ford
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 15, 2007
      Hi all,
      I'm looking for resources on 13th century pattens - I dearly love my
      turnshoes but when I put a hole in the sole after just a handful of
      wearings, I decided to reserve them for indoor use until I can acquire
      myself a set of pattens. And lately I've decided that it would be a fun
      adventure to make said pattens myself. (Being fully aware that this means I
      may well be wearing my turnshoes only indoors for quite a while yet.) I had
      a look at our copy of Shoes & Pattens last night and there's only one 13th
      century example listed. I'd love to hear what other resources there are out
      there; pattens simply don't show up in the 13th century iconography I'm
      familiar with.

      Thanks,
      Alianor de Ravenglas

    • mackayjenn
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 15, 2007
        Did you try checking with the 13th century garb list? They might have
        more info in the archives.

        Gemma Northwode
      • Frederick
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 16, 2007
          Hello,

          I just started on a pattan project. The turn-shoes I made were from
          left over leather from another thing, so they are really thin.
          I'm tring a 15th century though.

          post some pics (I will if I ever get more leather for the straps)

          ~Galmr~
        • quokkaqueen
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 5, 2007
            I found some information on terminology that might be helpful for you,
            although it does come from Wikipedia so I can't guarantee it's
            correct. Also, all of the below links are in German, but they at least
            have pretty pictures.

            According to German Wikipedia, wooden shoes were known as 'Trippe' in
            the 13th century, instead of 'patten'.
            See:
            http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuh#Trippen.2C_Stelzschuhe_und_das_Aufkommen_des_Absatzes
            and http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trippe

            The appendix at the end of this PDF article has 13th century Pattens
            from London, Zeeland and France (Frankreich)
            http://www.brandenburg1260.de/schuhwerk.pdf

            This looks like it's based on 'Shoes and Pattens' which you've already
            looked at, but it has a line drawing of the 13th century patten for
            everyone else.
            http://freenet-homepage.de/mittelalterschuhe/neue_seite_55.htm

            This page has a colour photo of an early 14th century patten, which
            might be useful for comparison:
            http://www.spessartprojekt.de/forschung/partenstein/funde/trippe.php
            (it's the first picture at the top.)

            I hope this information is useful, apologies it's not in English though.
            ~Asfridhr

            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah Michele Ford"