Dyeing leather...

  • Karen Isaacson
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 2007
      As a heads-up FYI to anyone who wants to dye leather [apologies for
      cross-posting], http://labricoleuse.livejournal.com/tag/leatherworking
      has a 7/20/07 posting that says that Tandy is phasing out solvent-based
      dyes on a national level because of bans in CA and CT. Blogger also
      says keep an eye out as she is testing the water based alternatives.

      Eydís Gunnarsdóttir
    • Michael Hurley
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 9, 2007
        At 1:41 PM -0700 on 8/9/07, Karen Isaacson wrote:

        >As a heads-up FYI to anyone who wants to dye leather [apologies for
        >cross-posting], http://labricoleuse.livejournal.com/tag/leatherworking
        >has a 7/20/07 posting that says that Tandy is phasing out solvent-based
        >dyes on a national level because of bans in CA and CT. Blogger also
        >says keep an eye out as she is testing the water based alternatives.
        >
        >Eydís Gunnarsdóttir

        Well, damn! If this is true, I'm really miffed. I
        don't use anything but oil-based dyes as the
        alcohol- and water-based ones have never worked
        well for me at all. They rub off on everything,
        color saturation is mediocre at best (and only at
        the beginning before the dye has worn away), and
        the surface always turns out mottled for me.
        Oil-based dyes have always worked beautifully for
        me. No shedding of color, little to no mottling,
        and good, rich color. The EcoFlo line of dyes
        better be the absolute bees knees or Tandy will
        have lost a great deal of my money.
        --
        Auf wiedersehen!
        Michael

        "..No."

        -Real Genius
      • Karen
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 11, 2007
          I regularly see solvent-based dyes listed on EBay and I'm sure other
          companies will respond differently depending on their philosophy about
          the dyes' ingredients - some will have a blanket drop of the product,
          and some will say 'no shipping to ___". You see this regularly with
          plants that are regulated by the potential destination state...

          Eydís