Re: 13th century Bible

  • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 9, 2007
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Christiana
      <christiana_davochelie@...> wrote:

      > Greetings, Andrea. The name of the Bible is the
      > Maciejowski Bible. Don't ask me to pronounce it. My
      > friends and I just call it the "Mak" Bible.
      >
      > Christiana

      My cousin is called Maciej, and it's always been pronounced as Matchie.
      So my guess would be Matchiovski.
      Guess we'd have to ask the SIG list to be sure :)
      Rosie
    • Michael Hurley
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 15, 2007
        At 10:01 AM +0000 on 8/9/07, Rosie (aka Nawojka) wrote:

        >My cousin is called Maciej, and it's always been pronounced as Matchie.
        >So my guess would be Matchiovski.

        As I understand it, it's Mah-chaiy-YOV-sky. My problem is that now I
        know how to pronounce it, I can never remember how to spell it!
        --
        Auf wiedersehen!
        Michael

        "..No."

        -Real Genius
      • Sarah Michele Ford
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 16, 2007
          On 8/16/07, Michael Hurley <mephit@...> wrote:

          > As I understand it, it's Mah-chaiy-YOV-sky. My problem is that now I
          > know how to pronounce it, I can never remember how to spell it!

          I heard the best name for it at Pennsic: The Mispronounski Bible. ;^)

          Alianor

        • squire009
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 16, 2007
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hurley <mephit@...> wrote:

            > At 10:01 AM +0000 on 8/9/07, Rosie (aka Nawojka) wrote:
            >
            > >My cousin is called Maciej, and it's always been pronounced as Matchie.
            > >So my guess would be Matchiovski.
            >
            > As I understand it, it's Mah-chaiy-YOV-sky. My problem is that now I
            > know how to pronounce it, I can never remember how to spell it!
            > --
            > Auf wiedersehen!
            > Michael
            I've read that there are about 5 different ways to pronounce the name.
            I know people that prefer to pronounce it as the Mispronounski Bible. ;)

            Alcyoneus
          • Michael Hurley
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 17, 2007
              At 8:26 AM -0400 on 8/16/07, Sarah Michele Ford wrote:

              >On 8/16/07, Michael Hurley <mephit@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> As I understand it, it's Mah-chaiy-YOV-sky. My problem is that now I
              >> know how to pronounce it, I can never remember how to spell it!
              >
              >I heard the best name for it at Pennsic: The Mispronounski Bible. ;^)

              It's also known as the Morgan Bible which is so much easier to remember!
              --
              Auf wiedersehen!
              Michael

              "..No."