13th century silk dress?

  • Andrea Hughett
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 7, 2007
      My daughter has informed me suggested dress for her
      wedding is formal/semiformal from any period of
      history. I might as well do 13th century and get some
      added use out of it, I guess. So I have a few
      questions....

      I'm thinking a basic geometric cut/St. Louis tunic
      style gown. Would silk have been available in mid-13th
      century England or France? Is forest green a likely
      color?

      At that time were sleeves wrist length, or longer so
      they bunched up? And I am drawing a blank on what the
      headdress is called - the one that looks like a
      topless pillbox hat, with a band under the chin? Would
      that be white or could it be colored? Linen or silk?
      When did it come into use - was it 13th century?

      Thank you for any help.

      Andrea of Anglespur
      kitscaa Gwervyl verch Hywel Gwyddwyllt
      So many books, so little time!

      http://tv.yahoo.com/
    • Andrea Hughett
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 7, 2007
        What is the name of that 13th century Bible with the
        gorgeous pictures? It starts with Macj...or suchlike?
        I can't seem to spell it well enough to find it
        online.

        Thanks.

        Andrea of Anglespur
        kitscaa Gwervyl verch Hywel Gwyddwyllt
        So many books, so little time!

        http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
      • julian wilson
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 7, 2007
          Gentle Lady,
          it's the Maciejowski Bible

          YIS,
          Matthew Baker,
          dwelling in "old" Jersey

          Andrea Hughett <aindreva@...> wrote:
          What is the name of that 13th century Bible with the
          gorgeous pictures? It starts with Macj...or suchlike?
          I can't seem to spell it well enough to find it
          online.

          Thanks.

          Andrea of Anglespur
          kitscaa Gwervyl verch Hywel Gwyddwyllt
          So many books, so little time!

        • Christiana
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 7, 2007
            Greetings, Andrea. The name of the Bible is the
            Maciejowski Bible. Don't ask me to pronounce it. My
            friends and I just call it the "Mak" Bible.

            Christiana

            http://tv.yahoo.com/
          • mackayjenn
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 7, 2007
              Hey, have you been over the the 13th century garb list? There's one on
              Yahoo. They might be able to help you with your questions.

              Gemma Northwode
            • Andrea Hughett
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 7, 2007
                --- julian wilson <smnco37@...> wrote:

                > Gentle Lady,
                > it's the Maciejowski Bible

                That's it! Thank you kindly.

                Andrea of Anglespur
                kitscaa Gwervyl verch Hywel Gwyddwyllt
                So many books, so little time!

              • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 9, 2007
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Christiana
                  <christiana_davochelie@...> wrote:

                  > Greetings, Andrea. The name of the Bible is the
                  > Maciejowski Bible. Don't ask me to pronounce it. My
                  > friends and I just call it the "Mak" Bible.
                  >
                  > Christiana

                  My cousin is called Maciej, and it's always been pronounced as Matchie.
                  So my guess would be Matchiovski.
                  Guess we'd have to ask the SIG list to be sure :)
                  Rosie
                • Michael Hurley
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 15, 2007
                    At 10:01 AM +0000 on 8/9/07, Rosie (aka Nawojka) wrote:

                    >My cousin is called Maciej, and it's always been pronounced as Matchie.
                    >So my guess would be Matchiovski.

                    As I understand it, it's Mah-chaiy-YOV-sky. My problem is that now I
                    know how to pronounce it, I can never remember how to spell it!
                    --
                    Auf wiedersehen!
                    Michael

                    "..No."

                    -Real Genius
                  • Sarah Michele Ford
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 16, 2007
                      On 8/16/07, Michael Hurley <mephit@...> wrote:

                      > As I understand it, it's Mah-chaiy-YOV-sky. My problem is that now I
                      > know how to pronounce it, I can never remember how to spell it!

                      I heard the best name for it at Pennsic: The Mispronounski Bible. ;^)

                      Alianor

                    • squire009
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 16, 2007
                        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hurley <mephit@...> wrote:

                        > At 10:01 AM +0000 on 8/9/07, Rosie (aka Nawojka) wrote:
                        >
                        > >My cousin is called Maciej, and it's always been pronounced as Matchie.
                        > >So my guess would be Matchiovski.
                        >
                        > As I understand it, it's Mah-chaiy-YOV-sky. My problem is that now I
                        > know how to pronounce it, I can never remember how to spell it!
                        > --
                        > Auf wiedersehen!
                        > Michael
                        I've read that there are about 5 different ways to pronounce the name.
                        I know people that prefer to pronounce it as the Mispronounski Bible. ;)

                        Alcyoneus
                      • Michael Hurley
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 17, 2007
                          At 8:26 AM -0400 on 8/16/07, Sarah Michele Ford wrote:

                          >On 8/16/07, Michael Hurley <mephit@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> As I understand it, it's Mah-chaiy-YOV-sky. My problem is that now I
                          >> know how to pronounce it, I can never remember how to spell it!
                          >
                          >I heard the best name for it at Pennsic: The Mispronounski Bible. ;^)

                          It's also known as the Morgan Bible which is so much easier to remember!
                          --
                          Auf wiedersehen!
                          Michael

                          "..No."