Re: Heraldry Help

  • Dawn Malmstrom
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 6, 2007
      > Thanks Adele!
      > One day I'll get the hang of it myself. Is there some order of
      > importance for the different elements? I mean, does blazoning have
      > syntax?
      > Rosie

      Yes, to put it in as simple terms as possible. Think of the arms
      painted in layers on a shield facing you. You would "read" the arms
      starting in the first layer painted in the left upper corner. First up
      is the main field division (if any) and the color(s) of the field.
      Then the charges. then anything on the charges. Laurel has a great
      tutorial on heraldry that explains it better here:

      http://www.sca.org/heraldry/primer/index.html

      Hope this helps.

      Donata Bonacorsi
    • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7, 2007
        I mean, does blazoning have
        > > syntax?
        > > Rosie
        > >

        > Yes, to put it in as simple terms as possible. Think of the arms
        > painted in layers on a shield facing you. You would "read" the arms
        > starting in the first layer painted in the left upper corner. First
        up
        > is the main field division (if any) and the color(s) of the field.
        > Then the charges. then anything on the charges. Laurel has a great
        > tutorial on heraldry that explains it better here:
        >
        > http://www.sca.org/heraldry/primer/index.html
        >
        > Hope this helps.
        >
        > Donata Bonacorsi

        Yes, thanks Donata. I guess it will take a while to learn, but it is
        another language! I'll have to find someone to teach me how to
        pronounce it all :)
        Rosie