Re: 16th Century Polish cookbook

  • Lady_Lark_Azure
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2007
      > Oh, I hope that someone takes you up on this offer, and then makes
      > the recipes available! I loved the Polish cooking my dad and Nanna
      > did, but never learned any Polish myself, and it would be interesting
      > to see how Polish food changed between the 16th century and what was
      > cooked when my family left Poland a couple of generations back.

      That's part of why I want this as well. I didn't pick up the
      language, but I did pick up the recipes. Mom and gram taught me to
      make babka, pierogi, nalesniki and kotleti--yum! If I can make things
      for a feast, that would be great!

      Does anyone have professional advice on how to take care of the book
      itself to preserve it? I was thinking of wrapping it in acid free
      paper, getting some silica packs to keep down the humidity, and
      storing it that way, but I want to make sure that's the right thing to
      do first. It really is fragile...and I looked, there's no publication
      date.

      Isabeau
    • ericarchambault@juno.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2007
        Why not set up a folder in the files section
        with the images of the original book, where
        the ambitious members of the group could post
        their translations and redactions?

        I would enjoy doing some of the redactions,
        but translating early Polish isn't high on
        my list of skills to acquire.

        ~Hercule
      • Lady_Lark_Azure
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2007
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "ericarchambault@..."
          <ericarchambault@...> wrote:

          > Why not set up a folder in the files section
          > with the images of the original book, where
          > the ambitious members of the group could post
          > their translations and redactions?
          >
          > I would enjoy doing some of the redactions,
          > but translating early Polish isn't high on
          > my list of skills to acquire.
          >
          > ~Hercule

          An interesting idea, but I'm not sure about the storage space. I know
          we almost maxed out at one point and I don't want to be a hog. Maybe
          I'll store them in Photobucket and post the link.

          Isabeau
        • Rob Lewis
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 2007
            MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive their messages in digest form, we ask that you not top post and that you trim any portion of the preceding message which is not necessary to repeat. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

            How about checking with the Slavic Interest Group (sig@..., just like
            in the CC field, since I am sending it on to them)? I believe they have a
            few people doing late period Polish and Ukrainian research there who may be
            interested in translating this book.

            Ivan Kosinski
            College of Brymstonne
            Atenveldt

            MKA Rob Lewis
          • chrisknight2004
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1, 2007
              MODERATOR NOTE. Please sign your posts so we can get to know you better. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

              you can email me a page, I'll have a go at it with an online
              dictionary. I might even make the recipe and send you a photograph.
            • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2007
                > > Why not set up a folder in the files section
                > > with the images of the original book, where
                > > the ambitious members of the group could post
                > > their translations and redactions?
                >>
                > An interesting idea, but I'm not sure about the storage space. I know
                > we almost maxed out at one point and I don't want to be a hog.

                Why not put them up on a web page? Geocities is easy enough to work
                with. I'm impressed by Helewyse's site:
                http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/
                She puts up the original, then the translations as she does them.
                Even if you have a few people helping you out on this project, you can
                easily add any translations emailed to you by cutting and pasting.
                Rosie