16th Century Polish cookbook

  • Lady_Lark_Azure
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 30, 2007
      So...

      I was out at my dad's place this past weekend, helping him clear some
      stuff out of the attic which used to be at my grandparent's place.
      One of the things I came across was a cookbook of my grandmother's.
      It's probably from around the turn of the century (I honestly didn't
      look for a publication date), but it is the text of a Polish cookbook,
      from the area of Silesia, which was written in 1553.

      While dad could wade through the Polish, and I could spend hours with
      a dictionary, I figured there might be folks out there with more
      knowledge and experience with recipe redaction who would be interested
      (me, I just want the recipe's when they're done). The book is a
      family heirloom for me, so I want it to remain in my possession, but
      if someone were honestly willing to put the work in, I will photograph
      every page, burn it to CD and send it to you (it's too fragile to
      force the pages flat to a scanner bed).

      Isabeau
    • Natasha Laity Snyder
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 31, 2007
        What i would like is a recipe for the bohemia bread dumplings...yumm

        Tangwystel
      • Kareina Talvi Tytär
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 31, 2007
          >Isabeau wrote:
          >
          >[snip] The book is a
          >family heirloom for me, so I want it to remain in my possession, but
          >if someone were honestly willing to put the work in, I will photograph
          >every page, burn it to CD and send it to you (it's too fragile to
          >force the pages flat to a scanner bed).

          Oh, I hope that someone takes you up on this offer, and then makes
          the recipes available! I loved the Polish cooking my dad and Nanna
          did, but never learned any Polish myself, and it would be interesting
          to see how Polish food changed between the 16th century and what was
          cooked when my family left Poland a couple of generations back.

          --Kareina
        • squire009
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 2007
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Natasha Laity Snyder
            <tangwystel@...> wrote:

            > What i would like is a recipe for the bohemia bread dumplings...yumm
            >
            > Tangwystel

            I love Google. ;)

            http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Bohemian%20bread%20dumplings

            Alcyoneus
          • Lady_Lark_Azure
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1, 2007
              > Oh, I hope that someone takes you up on this offer, and then makes
              > the recipes available! I loved the Polish cooking my dad and Nanna
              > did, but never learned any Polish myself, and it would be interesting
              > to see how Polish food changed between the 16th century and what was
              > cooked when my family left Poland a couple of generations back.

              That's part of why I want this as well. I didn't pick up the
              language, but I did pick up the recipes. Mom and gram taught me to
              make babka, pierogi, nalesniki and kotleti--yum! If I can make things
              for a feast, that would be great!

              Does anyone have professional advice on how to take care of the book
              itself to preserve it? I was thinking of wrapping it in acid free
              paper, getting some silica packs to keep down the humidity, and
              storing it that way, but I want to make sure that's the right thing to
              do first. It really is fragile...and I looked, there's no publication
              date.

              Isabeau
            • ericarchambault@juno.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 1, 2007
                Why not set up a folder in the files section
                with the images of the original book, where
                the ambitious members of the group could post
                their translations and redactions?

                I would enjoy doing some of the redactions,
                but translating early Polish isn't high on
                my list of skills to acquire.

                ~Hercule
              • Lady_Lark_Azure
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 1, 2007
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "ericarchambault@..."
                  <ericarchambault@...> wrote:

                  > Why not set up a folder in the files section
                  > with the images of the original book, where
                  > the ambitious members of the group could post
                  > their translations and redactions?
                  >
                  > I would enjoy doing some of the redactions,
                  > but translating early Polish isn't high on
                  > my list of skills to acquire.
                  >
                  > ~Hercule

                  An interesting idea, but I'm not sure about the storage space. I know
                  we almost maxed out at one point and I don't want to be a hog. Maybe
                  I'll store them in Photobucket and post the link.

                  Isabeau
                • Rob Lewis
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 1, 2007
                    MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive their messages in digest form, we ask that you not top post and that you trim any portion of the preceding message which is not necessary to repeat. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

                    How about checking with the Slavic Interest Group (sig@..., just like
                    in the CC field, since I am sending it on to them)? I believe they have a
                    few people doing late period Polish and Ukrainian research there who may be
                    interested in translating this book.

                    Ivan Kosinski
                    College of Brymstonne
                    Atenveldt

                    MKA Rob Lewis
                  • chrisknight2004
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 1, 2007
                      MODERATOR NOTE. Please sign your posts so we can get to know you better. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

                      you can email me a page, I'll have a go at it with an online
                      dictionary. I might even make the recipe and send you a photograph.
                    • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 2, 2007
                        > > Why not set up a folder in the files section
                        > > with the images of the original book, where
                        > > the ambitious members of the group could post
                        > > their translations and redactions?
                        >>
                        > An interesting idea, but I'm not sure about the storage space. I know
                        > we almost maxed out at one point and I don't want to be a hog.

                        Why not put them up on a web page? Geocities is easy enough to work
                        with. I'm impressed by Helewyse's site:
                        http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/
                        She puts up the original, then the translations as she does them.
                        Even if you have a few people helping you out on this project, you can
                        easily add any translations emailed to you by cutting and pasting.
                        Rosie