Re: help with a roma[gypsy] persona

  • azilisarmor
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 13, 2007
      Something else occurred to me after reading your post: since "gypsy,"
      like "pirate," is in many respects an occupational description, you
      might encourage your daughter to never mind the clothes and
      concentrate on developing a mindset. She's living with you now, but
      what habits might she have carried over from her previous life?
      Not only would this get her out of the dilemma of what to wear, but
      she could have a lot of fun researching the "bad behavior" she would
      be expected to display.

      Deroch
    • ladybridx
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 13, 2007
        [MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive their messages in digest form, we ask that you do not top post. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator]

        MESSAGE ORDER REARRANGED.

        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "veann" <mother_snyder@...> wrote:

        > my daughter is wanting to start playing again and would like a gypsy
        > person.

        Documenting "Gypsy" is a hard thing to do. First there is Gypsy as
        vocation (vagabond, traveling merchant/jack-of-all-trades,
        con-artist), then there is also Gypsy (many many different words
        depending on nationality of origin) as ethnicity. There are alot of
        traditions that go with both these definitions, both fantastical/urban
        legend and what little "real" information filters out to those of us
        who were not born to it.
        Here is a cool website with some art images of Gypsies
        http://www.latchodrom.org/paintings.htm
        Many are a bit late for SCA period of study, but it's a good start.
        If you are looking for a persona whose costume is going to look like
        the modern romantic ideal of a Gypsy girl (like Esmerelda from The
        Hunchback of Notre Dame) then the closest you are going to get is
        probably Indian, as the women did wear bright mixed colors, skirts and
        veils and lots of jewelry... and it's good fun to go looking through
        period art for such things.
        If you are wanting to be Italian, the images seem to show that common
        Italian dress with the addition of a soft turban-like headrap, and a
        large red (or black?) shawl that covers the body quite modestly is
        appropriate.
        brid

      • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 13, 2007

          > > my daughter is wanting to start playing again and would like a gypsy
          > > person.

          http://www.latchodrom.org/romani.htm Another link about the Romani

          http://www.enslin.com/rae/gypsy/camps.htm This one is Roma wagons

          Ranvaig
        • veann snyder
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 14, 2007
            thank you all so much and she is very excited. as she already belly-dances. so she can use a mundane skill to help her pay. she really liked the bad behavior commit. lord have mercy on my soul lol.
            thanks again Anna zen
          • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 14, 2007
              >thank you all so much and she is very excited. as she already belly-dances. so she can use a mundane skill to help her pay. she really liked the bad behavior commit. lord have mercy on my soul lol.
              > thanks again Anna zen

              Tell her to remember that its not just any old bad behavior. She should research just HOW an adopted Roma would behave. Possibly things like fortune telling or playing the "wrong" sort of music.

              Here are some more links about gypsies, not all of them period, except to show that the "traditional" idea of gypsies is pretty modern, even if the culture is not.
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people
              http://www.berksfhs.org.uk/journal/Sep2002/TheReadingWagon.htm

              Ranvaig