Re: Michaelsmas Event - Fairfield, PA 9/21--9/23/2007

  • Pete McKee
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 7, 2007
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "sdv1964" <sdv1964@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > My name is Steve and I am President of Lord Grey's Retinue a 15th
      > century living history group.
      >
      > http://www.lordgreys.org/
      >

      > I am extending an invitation to the members of this yahoo group.
      Please
      > take a moment to look at our website and the clothing standards
      for the
      > event. The time period for the event is 1471 England therefor all
      > clothing, equipment and tentage must reflect that time period and
      > location.
      >
      > Contact information for the event is on the flyer. Any questions
      can
      > also be sent to me or posted here in this group.
      >
      > Thank you for your time and consideration,
      >
      > Steve Vaught
      > President
      > Lord Grey's Retinue

      Steve,

      I've met and spoken with members of your group at Military Through
      the Ages at Jamestown Settlement a couple of times now. I've always
      been impressed with the camp life portrayal you do there.

      I am very interested in attending this event as a labourer with my
      pack horse. However, if I do,it will be my first ever medieval
      event. That means, unless some of my 17th century stuff translates,
      I have absolutely none of the clothing approprate for the 1470's.
      From looking at your website, it appears that none of it will.

      I'm confident that I can meet your groups' standards with my camp
      gear. It's the clothing and horse gear that I will need guidance
      on. Here is a link to a photo of my horse with a full pack at a
      recent 18th century event http://coht.org/gallery/displayimage.php?
      album=33&pos=0 . The main difference I see between my saddle and
      the one illustrated on your website is the peaked pommel and cantle
      versus the rounded one.

      If the moderators see fit, I would like to have a conversation here
      with you or your members on getting a basic set of authentic 1470's
      clothes together as inexpensively as possible.

      Take care,
      Pete McKee
    • Pete McKee
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 7, 2007
        Hmmm, let me try that photo link again.

        http://coht.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=33&pos=0

        Take care,
        Pete McKee
      • Steve Vaught
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 8, 2007
          MODERATOR'S NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive their messages in digest form, please do not top post. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

          (Repeated messages deleted from posting.)
          Hey Pete,

          What size are you? A few members have a couple of doublets and sets of hose that we may be able to lend. The most inexpensive way to get the clothes is to make them. Reconstructing History sells the doulet and hose pattern for men. On the Reconstructing History page there is a description on making a shirt.

          You pack horse set up looks cool. The spiders are a bit late for us though. I would love to be able to document those to the 15th century.

          We have many tents but you might want to make a bedroll. A simple body sized bag stuffed with hay is quite comfy.

          Hope this helps,

          If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask,

          Steve
        • Pete McKee
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 10, 2007
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Steve Vaught <sdv1964@...>
            wrote:

            Snip...

            > If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask,
            >
            > Steve

            Thanks Steve,

            I take it then that the pointed pack frame will pass muster? My
            camp gear consists of a wool blanket or two, a bed that can be
            stuffed or not, and a 10X10 canvas square that can be set up in
            various configurations. For cooking and eating, I have brass &
            copper kettles, wooden bowl & spoon, partially glazed redware and
            borderware drinking vessels, and a narrow bladed eating knife. What
            I don't have are appropriate clothes for the time period.

            Yes, loaners are certainly the best way to get outfitted for a first
            time out. I'm not sure, though that your folks would appreciate me
            tending to my horse all weekend in their clothes!

            Making the clothes is the least expensive way to go. However, my
            tailoring skills are extremly limited. The doublet is far beyond me,
            but I think I could put the hosen together. I've made Native
            American leggings of wool before, and the hosen only look a bit more
            involved than that. For simplicity, I would go with the stirrup
            style. Is the seam on the inside or the back? I take it when you
            say joined hosen, you mean the two legs are stitched together. This
            would be from the back waist through the crotch, to a slit fly, tied
            at the front waist, with the open fly covered by a codpiece?
            Codpiece? There's another item I have no experience from which to
            to draw on. (Save the elaborate armoured ones those German guys
            wear at MTA!)

            Is anyone in your group interested in some barter? I'm a fair hand
            at light leatherwork. Point me to the correct hardware, and I can
            have some belts and pouches made up by September. I also made the
            wooden crate you see in the packhorse photo.

            This post is already overly long. I'll save the subject of shoes
            for the next one.

            Take care
            Pete McKee
          • Steve Vaught
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 12, 2007
              Hey Pete,

              To be honest, I think your pack stuff looks cool but I really have no idea if it is even close to 15th century. I will look into it, but I really don't see a problem.

              As far as clothing goes. We would really need to make patterns for you. 15th century clothing really contours to the body. I forget where are you located? I will talk to our sewing people maybe we can get you in for a fitting. If not the best suggestion would be to purchase the clothes from Historic Enterprises. They have the shirt, brais, hosen, hat, and doublet. Someone can probably lend you a livery to wear. Take a look at he stardards posted for the event and also the standards on our webpage.

              www.lordgreys.org

              Hope this helps and I will get back to you about the clothing and stuff,

              Steve
            • Pete McKee
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 17, 2007
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Steve Vaught <sdv1964@...> wrote:

                > Hey Pete,
                >
                >Take a look at he stardards posted for the event and also the
                standards on our webpage.

                > www.lordgreys.org
                >
                > Hope this helps and I will get back to you about the clothing and
                stuff,

                > Steve

                Thanks Steve,

                Your website has been very helpful. I'm looking at my budget and the
                feasability of getting a proper kit together in such a short time. To
                buy a basic kit of shoes, hat, braies, hosen, and linen tunic, I'm
                looking at over $300, all in one chunk. The doublet instead of the
                tunic pushes it up to well over $400. That makes me think again on
                the possibility of loaners. If any of your number are willing, I can
                pay up front for the dry cleaning. Do remind them that I'll be
                tending a horse for the event. Shoes are often the most difficult to
                borrow, so I'd buy those right away.

                Take care,
                Pete McKee
              • Pete McKee
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 17, 2007
                  wrote:

                  > Hey Pete,
                  >
                  > To be honest, I think your pack stuff looks cool but I really
                  have no idea if it is even close to 15th century. I will look into
                  it, but I really don't see a problem.

                  >> Hope this helps and I will get back to you about the clothing
                  and stuff,

                  > Steve

                  Again, thanks Steve,

                  My motivation for attending your event revolves around the horse.
                  One of my goals is to be able to demonstrate animal transportation
                  in several different time periods. Ultimately, I hope to do that
                  with an ox & cart as well. For now, it's the pack horse due to
                  modern transportation limitations. The illustration on your website
                  of goods being transported on donkeys shows a pack saddle with
                  rounded pommel and cantle.

                  http://www.replications.com/greys/images/Portrayals/marshalsea/pack01
                  .jpg

                  Compared to the peaked pommel & cantle on my rig.

                  http://coht.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=33&pos=0

                  I could make one with the rounded parts, but not by September.
                  Please do run this by your horse folks. Thanks again.

                  Take care,
                  Pete McKee
                • Steve Vaught
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 18, 2007
                    Hey Pete,

                    I will zip this past my group but I don't see it being too terrible a problem. I ahve emailed James in our group about clothing. What size are you? Chest size waist at the navel sleeve length etc. I have 3 doublets and 3 pairs of hose if we are close in size I wouls not have a problem lending them out.

                    Steve
                  • Pete McKee
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 19, 2007
                      To all;

                      This thread has essentially become a conversation between Steve, of
                      Lord Greys Retinue, and myself. Rather than cause clutter, we will
                      continue the conversation off list.

                      This is a brand new time period for me, so if anyone has information
                      on 15th century horse gear, clothing, or houshold organization, I'm
                      all ears.

                      Steve, I've already recieved e-mail from one of your members, and will
                      contact you through the information on your website.

                      Thank you for your generous invitation, and the help in getting kitted
                      up for this period.

                      Take care,
                      Pete McKee
                    • Sarah Stovall
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 19, 2007
                        MODERATOR'S NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who read this list in digest form, we ask that you not top post and that you snip anything that is not germane to your response. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator. (Message order reversed below.)

                        This thread has essentially become a conversation between Steve, of
                        Lord Greys Retinue, and myself. Rather than cause clutter, we will
                        continue the conversation off list.

                        This is a brand new time period for me, so if anyone has information
                        on 15th century horse gear, clothing, or houshold organization, I'm
                        all ears.

                        Steve, I've already recieved e-mail from one of your members, and will
                        contact you through the information on your website.

                        Thank you for your generous invitation, and the help in getting kitted
                        up for this period.

                        Take care,

                        Pete McKee

                        Pete as a fellow rider/horse handler I too would be interested in any information on period tack and horse gear. Thanks~ Sarah

                        *They also serve who only stand and wait. *