Re: Codpiece redux

  • xina007eu
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 6, 2007
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Sandra Dodd <Sandra@...> wrote:

      > -=-
      > This is followed by a discussion of the codpiece as container, this
      > time with references to contemporary sources, codpieces as signs of
      > virility, and a description of her sources including contemporary
      > portraits.-=-
      >
      > Container for things other than... the obvious?
      > Like keys and ID? Money?

      Yes, like an additional pocket.
      I don't think people normally carried keys with them as there usually
      was somebody at home (at least in larger households). They didn't
      have driving licenses and other ID back then. I don't know about
      passports - 18th and 19th century passports were large documents that
      one might slip inside one's coat or jacket and that one carried only
      when travelling abroad. Money and handkerchiefs, yes, this is
      documented.
      Best regards,

      Christina
    • xina007eu