Re: Belts

  • borderlands15213
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 6 9:47 AM
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Ann Catelli <elvestoorder@...>
      wrote:

      > --- Despair Bear <despairbear@...> wrote:
      >

      > > --- Natasha Laity Snyder <tangwystel@...>
      > > wrote:
      > >
      > > > What about knitted belts? A possiblility?
      > > > Documented?
      > > >
      > > > Tangwystel
      > >
      > > Early period saxon comes to mind, card woven belts.
      > > Say around 900 made from linen or wool, possibly
      > > silk?. Not as long as the traditional "SCA belts"
      > > and
      > > 1 inch wide or less.
      > >

      > > Godric
      >
      > Which are definitely not knitted.
      >
      > Off-hand, I would say that knitting is a technique not
      > well-suited to belts.
      > Even the not-stretchy sort of knitting, done very
      > tightly, would not be a good candidate to my mind.
      > Most, if not all, of the knitting done until the late
      > eighteenth century was very tightly made and not a
      > stretchy material.
      <<<snipped>>>

      > Ann in CT

      Very curious am I, now.
      I don't knit, at least not much (I know knit stitch and purl stitch
      and that's great, except I haven't learned how to cast on correctly,
      no matter which method you talk about) so I admit there's a great
      deal I don't know.
      I recall, however, a lady in my town who was for a while doing
      volunteer work through a program with her church, in which various of
      the parish were engaged in knitting bandages for lepers (that's what
      she said--- ) and they *had* to be made of cotton yarn because they
      wouldn't stretch, despite being knitted.
      So, if a belt were knitted of linen? Of hemp? Of silk? None of
      those is stretchy?....

      Sort of ruminating, but without much base of knowledge...

      Yseult the Gentle
    • Ann Catelli
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 6 4:40 PM
        --- borderlands15213 <borderlands15213@...>
        wrote:

        > I don't knit, at least not much.
        > I recall, however, a lady in my town who was for a
        > while doing
        > volunteer work through a program with her church, in
        > which various of
        > the parish were engaged in knitting bandages for
        > lepers (that's what
        > she said--- ) and they *had* to be made of cotton
        > yarn because they
        > wouldn't stretch, despite being knitted.
        > So, if a belt were knitted of linen? Of hemp? Of
        > silk? None of those is stretchy?....
        >
        > Yseult the Gentle

        But your t-shirts, say, are cotton and knit, and
        stretch.

        Non-stretchy fibers, such as silk, cotton, and linen
        can be knit.
        The knit fabric formed by most modern knitters and
        knitting machines, too, is stretchy, no matter the
        fiber.

        My lone experience knitting with silk ('raw' silk) was
        very annoying, as it has no resiliance, which property
        makes knitting wool so much more of a pleasure for me.

        The non-stretchy behavior of early knitted fabrics is
        caused by very tight knitting, so far as I know.
        Even woolen knitting, which has potential stretch from
        fiber and the knit structure, was not meant to
        stretch.

        Fine gauge knitting is not 100%; some wool scoggers
        from the Mary Rose were knit coarsely; I don't know
        their other properties.

        Coarsely knit hats, at least, were then fulled to
        within an inch of their lives, and a nap raised and
        trimmed, like some woven woolens.

        I'd recommend find Richard Rutt A History of Hand
        Knitting (try local libraries &/or local fiber geeks)
        to get a good general background. Probably the best
        book out there on knitting history.

        Ann in CT

        Be a PS3 game guru.
      • borderlands15213
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 9 9:15 AM
          wrote:

          > --- borderlands15213 <borderlands15213@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > I don't knit, at least not much.
          > > I recall, however, a lady in my town who was for a
          > > while doing
          > > volunteer work through a program with her church, in
          > > which various of
          > > the parish were engaged in knitting bandages for
          > > lepers (that's what
          > > she said--- ) and they *had* to be made of cotton
          > > yarn because they
          > > wouldn't stretch, despite being knitted.
          > > So, if a belt were knitted of linen? Of hemp? Of
          > > silk? None of those is stretchy?....
          > >
          > > Yseult the Gentle
          >
          > But your t-shirts, say, are cotton and knit, and
          > stretch.

          Agreed... I was taking the lady's word for the lack of stretchiness,
          and if you'll review my post [above] I had said "...n't stretch,
          despite being knitted." In view of your observations, below,
          regarding early knitting, is it possible these "bandages" were also
          being very tightly knitted?

          > Non-stretchy fibers, such as silk, cotton, and linen
          > can be knit.
          > The knit fabric formed by most modern knitters and
          > knitting machines, too, is stretchy, no matter the
          > fiber.
          >
          ><<snipped>>>
          >
          > The non-stretchy behavior of early knitted fabrics is
          > caused by very tight knitting, so far as I know.
          > Even woolen knitting, which has potential stretch from
          > fiber and the knit structure, was not meant to
          > stretch.

          How would that be achieved, this very tight knitting? Gauge of
          needles, or tension, or both?

          > Fine gauge knitting is not 100%; some wool scoggers
          > from the Mary Rose were knit coarsely; I don't know
          > their other properties.

          <<snipped>>

          > I'd recommend find Richard Rutt A History of Hand
          > Knitting (try local libraries &/or local fiber geeks)
          > to get a good general background. Probably the best
          > book out there on knitting history.

          ...another post-Pennsic project....

          Thank you, Ann, for your insights and thoughtful commentary.

          Yseult the Gentle
        • Rebecca Klingbeil
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 10 7:11 AM

            > But your t-shirts, say, are cotton and knit, and
            > stretch.
            >
            > Non-stretchy fibers, such as silk, cotton, and linen
            > can be knit.
            > The knit fabric formed by most modern knitters and
            > knitting machines, too, is stretchy, no matter the
            > fiber.

            She's probably thinking of the cotton "crochet" yarn
            that they make doillies out of - it is not
            particularly "stretchy" though the knitting would give
            it some "give". This is just a "guess", mind you.

            [snip]

            > Ann in CT

            My only comment on this, as a knitter rather than a
            researcher, is that if you were going to "knit" a
            belt, wouldn't it make sense to felt it afterwards?

            Felting would remove most of the "sproing" and give
            you a nice surface for decoration.

            Leofwynn
          • Ann Catelli
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 10 2:58 PM
              wrote:

              > > The non-stretchy behavior of early knitted fabrics
              > > is caused by very tight knitting, so far as I
              know.
              > > Even woolen knitting, which has potential stretch
              > > from fiber and the knit structure, was not meant
              > > stretch.
              >
              > How would that be achieved, this very tight
              > knitting? Gauge of needles, or tension, or both?
              >
              > Yseult the Gentle

              I'd go with answer c, "both."

              Some of the beautiful multi-colored relic bags, now in
              Switzerland, iirc, have gauges about modern t-shirts
              number of stitches per inch. And were, of course,
              hand-knit. :o
              Tiny little wires for needles, tightly tensioned silk
              on the needles.

              Some wonderful people on the historic knit yahoo group
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HistoricKnit/) have
              reproduced or been closely inspired by the relic bags.

              I'll never do it, though. I used to knit quite
              tightly and was working my way down through the 0
              sizes in needles (0 is 2.25mm, 00 is smaller, and all
              the way down to 11/0 (0.25mm) is available for sale)
              when I developed Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from knitting
              too much. bad plan.

              Still smaller modern knitting may be seen at
              <http://www.bugknits.com/>, and the supplies she has
              includes the above-mentioned 11/0 needles; she sells
              Up to size 5/0(1mm) steel double-pointed.
              So it's still possible.

              I recommend the historic knit list highly, as they do
              try to document what/where/when as accurately as may
              be. Their time period is up to 50 years ago, with
              outposts of 19th, 18th, and medieval enthusiasts in
              the group.

              Ann in CT
              stopping before I ramble even further

              http://sims.yahoo.com/
            • borderlands15213
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 11 12:29 PM
                wrote:

                > > How would that be achieved, this very tight
                > > knitting? Gauge of needles, or tension, or both?
                >
                > I'd go with answer c, "both."
                <<<<snipped>>>

                > I recommend the historic knit list highly, as they do
                > try to document what/where/when as accurately as may
                > be. Their time period is up to 50 years ago, with
                > outposts of 19th, 18th, and medieval enthusiasts in
                > the group.
                >
                > Ann in CT
                > stopping before I ramble even further

                You are a very wicked woman, you know, tempting me this way with yet
                another list *and* another set of skills to learn! And I've been so
                good, lately, unsubscribing from many of those lists I haven't read or
                don't read as often or as thoroughly as I ought!
                *Especially* when I'm so far behind on so many projects in so many
                other areas, already begun, too.
                Very, very wicked....

                Yseult the Gentle
                story. Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
                > http://sims.yahoo.com/

              • Ann Catelli
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 11 5:39 PM
                  --- borderlands15213 wrote:

                  > > Ann wrote
                  > > historic knit list
                  >
                  > You are a very wicked woman, you know, tempting me
                  > this way with yet
                  > another list *and* another set of skills to learn!
                  > And I've been so
                  > good, lately, unsubscribing from many of those lists
                  > I haven't read or
                  > don't read as often or as thoroughly as I ought!
                  > *Especially* when I'm so far behind on so many
                  > projects in so many
                  > other areas, already begun, too.
                  > Very, very wicked....
                  >
                  > Yseult the Gentle

                  Ann in CT makes a curtsey modestly

                  p.s. I knit enough Monday night that my CTS is flaring
                  up--don't go that far! ac

                  Got a little couch potato?
                • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 12 4:36 PM
                    > > I recommend the historic knit list highly, as they do
                    > > try to document what/where/when as accurately as may
                    > > be. Their time period is up to 50 years ago, with
                    > > outposts of 19th, 18th, and medieval enthusiasts in
                    > > the group.
                    > >
                    > > Ann in CT
                    > You are a very wicked woman, you know, tempting me this way with yet
                    > another list *and* another set of skills to learn!
                    > Yseult the Gentle

                    You know you want to! Actually it is a really good list. I've been
                    reading it for months now, and I can't even knit! But finally my
                    grandmother is coming to our A&S meeting tomorrow to be our
                    first "guest lecturer" and start teaching us.
                    Rosie
                  • borderlands15213
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 13 8:58 AM
                      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Rosie (aka Nawojka)"
                      <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:
                      <<snipped>>
                      > > You are a very wicked woman, you know, tempting me this way with yet
                      > > another list *and* another set of skills to learn!
                      > > Yseult the Gentle
                      >

                      > You know you want to!

                      *Another* wicked woman! And enabler...

                      >Actually it is a really good list. <<snipped>>

                      And sneaky, seductive, appealing-making....
                      <shakes head> What is this Currently Medieval World coming to!!!

                      Yseult the Gentle
                    • Beth and Bob Matney
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 13 11:59 AM
                        I am collecting images of period potter's wheels. There is, of
                        course, the one on page 277 of

                        Agricola, Georg, Herbert Hoover, and Lou Henry Hoover. De Re
                        Metallica. New York: Dover, 1986.

                        but I'm looking for any other images. If you know of any existing or
                        archaeological finds that would be even better.

                        TIA
                        Beth
                      • lenastrid
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 16 5:44 AM
                          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Beth and Bob Matney <bmatney@...>
                          wrote:

                          > I am collecting images of period potter's wheels. There is, of
                          > course, the one on page 277 of
                          >
                          > Agricola, Georg, Herbert Hoover, and Lou Henry Hoover. De Re
                          > Metallica. New York: Dover, 1986.

                          Is that the one of the female potter in her sleeveless shift? (seen
                          here:http://it.geocities.com/a_pollett/cards23.htm)

                          If not, there's another one for you.

                          /Lena
                        • Beth and Bob Matney
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 16 6:19 AM
                            >Is that the one of the female potter in her sleeveless shift? (seen
                            >here:http://it.geocities.com/a_pollett/cards23.htm

                            Lena,

                            Thank you! I had not seen this site before and it is new potter image
                            for me. Agricola's image is of a man and the wheel is a bit different.

                            Beth
                          • xina007eu
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 20 10:57 AM
                              <bmatney@...> wrote:

                              > I am collecting images of period potter's wheels. There is, of
                              > course, the one on page 277 of
                              >
                              > Agricola, Georg, Herbert Hoover, and Lou Henry Hoover. De Re
                              > Metallica. New York: Dover, 1986.
                              >
                              > but I'm looking for any other images. If you know of any existing
                              or
                              > archaeological finds that would be even better.
                              >
                              > TIA
                              > Beth

                              Hi Beth,
                              here's a 16h century one:
                              http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Eygentliche_Beschreibung_Aller_St%C3%
                              A4nde_auff_Erden:Der_Hafner

                              A Greek wheel, an Egyptian one, and reconstructions of a Roman and a
                              Meedieval one (basically the same type as in the woodcut from the
                              Ständebuch).

                              Hope that helps!

                              Best regards,

                              Christina
                            • Beth and Bob Matney
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 20 12:35 PM
                                At 12:57 PM 7/20/2007, Christina wrote:
                                >here's a 16h century one:
                                >http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Eygentliche_Beschreibung_Aller_St%C3%4nde_auff_Erden:Der_Hafner
                                >

                                >A Greek wheel, an Egyptian one, and reconstructions of a Roman and a
                                >Meedieval one (basically the same type as in the woodcut from the
                                >Ständebuch).

                                I could not find then from the link... it gave an
                                empty page. What were your search words? (My German is a bit rusty)

                                Beth
                              • xina007eu
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 24 12:59 AM
                                  <bmatney@...> wrote:

                                  > At 12:57 PM 7/20/2007, Christina wrote:
                                  > >here's a 16h century one:
                                  > >http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Eygentliche_Beschreibung_Aller_St%C3%
                                  4nde_auff_Erden:Der_Hafner

                                  > >A Greek wheel, an Egyptian one, and reconstructions of a Roman and
                                  > >Meedieval one (basically the same type as in the woodcut from the
                                  > >Ständebuch).
                                  >
                                  > I could not find then from the link... it gave an
                                  > empty page. What were your search words? (My German is a bit rusty)
                                  >
                                  > Beth

                                  Go to
                                  http://de.wikisource.org
                                  then search for