Michaelsmas Event - Fairfield, PA 9/21--9/23/2007

  • sdv1964
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 5, 2007
      Hello,

      My name is Steve and I am President of Lord Grey's Retinue a 15th
      century living history group.

      http://www.lordgreys.org/

      For the last 5 years we have hosted a private 15th century event called
      Michaelsmas. At this event we try to re enact a period camp and period
      activities.

      I am extending an invitation to the members of this yahoo group. Please
      take a moment to look at our website and the clothing standards for the
      event. The time period for the event is 1471 England therefor all
      clothing, equipment and tentage must reflect that time period and
      location. We are currently looking into creating a modern camping area
      on the other side of the stream but at this time there are no modern
      accomadations (other than a spot a pot).

      All tents and their interiors must be period inside and out. No modern
      gear is to be worn or carried which included watches, cell phones,
      cameras or eyeglasses. We strongly suggest keeping modern gear at a
      minimum and if you have need of it, it must be kept out of site.

      Michaelsmas will be held the weekend of September 21-23 at 2325
      Waynesboro Pike in Fairfield, PA, just outside of Gettysburg.

      Here is the link to the flyer from last year the please note the date
      changes for this year.

      http://www.replications.com/greys/paston/paston_flyer_registration.pdf

      The premise behind the event is:

      It is 1471. Grey and Vernon have decided to bury the hatchet. They come
      together at a party hosted by Lord Grey in one of his various
      properties. Throughout the day they engage in tests of prowess and
      contests having a feast on Saturday. But Sunday after church there is a
      disagreement on how the truce is being written and the feud begins
      again.

      We prefer you register by September 1st so we can have a head count on
      how many to cook for on at the Saturday meal, thanks.

      Costs

      Event Costs $25 for per adult; $10 per child; with a $50 maximum for a
      family, includes dinner on Saturday Night. Please make check payable
      to:

      Kimberly Barker
      181 E Reed Ave 107
      Alexandria VA 22305

      Please include the following information with payments:

      * Name
      * Address
      * Email
      * Phone
      * Other family members names

      Tentative Schedule

      Friday

      * Dinner on your own
      * Setup
      * Evening meeting to discuss scenarios

      Saturday

      * Breakfast on your own
      * Tierce: Morning prayer or short mass
      * Meeting to catch those missed the evening before
      * Archery Competition
      * Counted blow poll axe competition
      * Other individual activities as desired (music, sewing, games,
      braiding, etc.)
      * Sext: Midday prayer
      * Lunch on your own
      * Dueling practice
      * Steel fighting scenarios
      * Nones: Prayer
      * Main dinner for all
      * Vespers: Cleanup

      Sunday:

      * Breakfast on your own
      * Tierce: Morning prayer
      * Steel fighting scenarios.
      * Other individual activities as desired (music, sewing, games,
      braiding, etc.)
      * Sext: Prayer
      * Communal lunch, bring your food and we will eat together
      * Counted blow sword combat or combat with spears
      * Archery contest continued
      * Three legged stool jousting
      * Nones: Prayer
      * Fighting practice
      * Awarding of prizes for competitions
      * Communal dinner, bring your food and we will eat together
      * Those leaving Sunday can begin breakdown
      * Vespers: Prayer
      * Carousing!

      The Prayer activities may be reduced or eliminated dependent upon the
      presence of actual clergy at the event.

      The above are just suggestions of activities.

      There is no ratten fighting the but we will be using wooden wasters and
      steel for our scenarios. Bows and arrows are welcome provided that the
      are of period design and materials. No modern bows or arrows will be
      allowed.

      Since we are continually striving to improve our interpretations we ask
      that you try to keep you tent and equipment as period as possible.
      There may be space on the modern side of the stream for modern
      conveniences and camping equipment.

      Contact information for the event is on the flyer. Any questions can
      also be sent to me or posted here in this group.

      Thank you for your time and consideration,

      Steve Vaught
      President
      Lord Grey's Retinue
    • Pete McKee
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 7, 2007
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "sdv1964" <sdv1964@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > My name is Steve and I am President of Lord Grey's Retinue a 15th
        > century living history group.
        >
        > http://www.lordgreys.org/
        >

        > I am extending an invitation to the members of this yahoo group.
        Please
        > take a moment to look at our website and the clothing standards
        for the
        > event. The time period for the event is 1471 England therefor all
        > clothing, equipment and tentage must reflect that time period and
        > location.
        >
        > Contact information for the event is on the flyer. Any questions
        can
        > also be sent to me or posted here in this group.
        >
        > Thank you for your time and consideration,
        >
        > Steve Vaught
        > President
        > Lord Grey's Retinue

        Steve,

        I've met and spoken with members of your group at Military Through
        the Ages at Jamestown Settlement a couple of times now. I've always
        been impressed with the camp life portrayal you do there.

        I am very interested in attending this event as a labourer with my
        pack horse. However, if I do,it will be my first ever medieval
        event. That means, unless some of my 17th century stuff translates,
        I have absolutely none of the clothing approprate for the 1470's.
        From looking at your website, it appears that none of it will.

        I'm confident that I can meet your groups' standards with my camp
        gear. It's the clothing and horse gear that I will need guidance
        on. Here is a link to a photo of my horse with a full pack at a
        recent 18th century event http://coht.org/gallery/displayimage.php?
        album=33&pos=0 . The main difference I see between my saddle and
        the one illustrated on your website is the peaked pommel and cantle
        versus the rounded one.

        If the moderators see fit, I would like to have a conversation here
        with you or your members on getting a basic set of authentic 1470's
        clothes together as inexpensively as possible.

        Take care,
        Pete McKee
      • Pete McKee
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 7, 2007
          Hmmm, let me try that photo link again.

          http://coht.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=33&pos=0

          Take care,
          Pete McKee
        • Steve Vaught
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 8, 2007
            MODERATOR'S NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive their messages in digest form, please do not top post. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

            (Repeated messages deleted from posting.)
            Hey Pete,

            What size are you? A few members have a couple of doublets and sets of hose that we may be able to lend. The most inexpensive way to get the clothes is to make them. Reconstructing History sells the doulet and hose pattern for men. On the Reconstructing History page there is a description on making a shirt.

            You pack horse set up looks cool. The spiders are a bit late for us though. I would love to be able to document those to the 15th century.

            We have many tents but you might want to make a bedroll. A simple body sized bag stuffed with hay is quite comfy.

            Hope this helps,

            If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask,

            Steve
          • Pete McKee
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 10, 2007
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Steve Vaught <sdv1964@...>
              wrote:

              Snip...

              > If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask,
              >
              > Steve

              Thanks Steve,

              I take it then that the pointed pack frame will pass muster? My
              camp gear consists of a wool blanket or two, a bed that can be
              stuffed or not, and a 10X10 canvas square that can be set up in
              various configurations. For cooking and eating, I have brass &
              copper kettles, wooden bowl & spoon, partially glazed redware and
              borderware drinking vessels, and a narrow bladed eating knife. What
              I don't have are appropriate clothes for the time period.

              Yes, loaners are certainly the best way to get outfitted for a first
              time out. I'm not sure, though that your folks would appreciate me
              tending to my horse all weekend in their clothes!

              Making the clothes is the least expensive way to go. However, my
              tailoring skills are extremly limited. The doublet is far beyond me,
              but I think I could put the hosen together. I've made Native
              American leggings of wool before, and the hosen only look a bit more
              involved than that. For simplicity, I would go with the stirrup
              style. Is the seam on the inside or the back? I take it when you
              say joined hosen, you mean the two legs are stitched together. This
              would be from the back waist through the crotch, to a slit fly, tied
              at the front waist, with the open fly covered by a codpiece?
              Codpiece? There's another item I have no experience from which to
              to draw on. (Save the elaborate armoured ones those German guys
              wear at MTA!)

              Is anyone in your group interested in some barter? I'm a fair hand
              at light leatherwork. Point me to the correct hardware, and I can
              have some belts and pouches made up by September. I also made the
              wooden crate you see in the packhorse photo.

              This post is already overly long. I'll save the subject of shoes
              for the next one.

              Take care
              Pete McKee
            • Steve Vaught
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 12, 2007
                Hey Pete,

                To be honest, I think your pack stuff looks cool but I really have no idea if it is even close to 15th century. I will look into it, but I really don't see a problem.

                As far as clothing goes. We would really need to make patterns for you. 15th century clothing really contours to the body. I forget where are you located? I will talk to our sewing people maybe we can get you in for a fitting. If not the best suggestion would be to purchase the clothes from Historic Enterprises. They have the shirt, brais, hosen, hat, and doublet. Someone can probably lend you a livery to wear. Take a look at he stardards posted for the event and also the standards on our webpage.

                www.lordgreys.org

                Hope this helps and I will get back to you about the clothing and stuff,

                Steve
              • Pete McKee
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 17, 2007
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Steve Vaught <sdv1964@...> wrote:

                  > Hey Pete,
                  >
                  >Take a look at he stardards posted for the event and also the
                  standards on our webpage.

                  > www.lordgreys.org
                  >
                  > Hope this helps and I will get back to you about the clothing and
                  stuff,

                  > Steve

                  Thanks Steve,

                  Your website has been very helpful. I'm looking at my budget and the
                  feasability of getting a proper kit together in such a short time. To
                  buy a basic kit of shoes, hat, braies, hosen, and linen tunic, I'm
                  looking at over $300, all in one chunk. The doublet instead of the
                  tunic pushes it up to well over $400. That makes me think again on
                  the possibility of loaners. If any of your number are willing, I can
                  pay up front for the dry cleaning. Do remind them that I'll be
                  tending a horse for the event. Shoes are often the most difficult to
                  borrow, so I'd buy those right away.

                  Take care,
                  Pete McKee
                • Pete McKee
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 17, 2007
                    wrote:

                    > Hey Pete,
                    >
                    > To be honest, I think your pack stuff looks cool but I really
                    have no idea if it is even close to 15th century. I will look into
                    it, but I really don't see a problem.

                    >> Hope this helps and I will get back to you about the clothing
                    and stuff,

                    > Steve

                    Again, thanks Steve,

                    My motivation for attending your event revolves around the horse.
                    One of my goals is to be able to demonstrate animal transportation
                    in several different time periods. Ultimately, I hope to do that
                    with an ox & cart as well. For now, it's the pack horse due to
                    modern transportation limitations. The illustration on your website
                    of goods being transported on donkeys shows a pack saddle with
                    rounded pommel and cantle.

                    http://www.replications.com/greys/images/Portrayals/marshalsea/pack01
                    .jpg

                    Compared to the peaked pommel & cantle on my rig.

                    http://coht.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=33&pos=0

                    I could make one with the rounded parts, but not by September.
                    Please do run this by your horse folks. Thanks again.

                    Take care,
                    Pete McKee
                  • Steve Vaught
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 18, 2007
                      Hey Pete,

                      I will zip this past my group but I don't see it being too terrible a problem. I ahve emailed James in our group about clothing. What size are you? Chest size waist at the navel sleeve length etc. I have 3 doublets and 3 pairs of hose if we are close in size I wouls not have a problem lending them out.

                      Steve
                    • Pete McKee
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 19, 2007
                        To all;

                        This thread has essentially become a conversation between Steve, of
                        Lord Greys Retinue, and myself. Rather than cause clutter, we will
                        continue the conversation off list.

                        This is a brand new time period for me, so if anyone has information
                        on 15th century horse gear, clothing, or houshold organization, I'm
                        all ears.

                        Steve, I've already recieved e-mail from one of your members, and will
                        contact you through the information on your website.

                        Thank you for your generous invitation, and the help in getting kitted
                        up for this period.

                        Take care,
                        Pete McKee
                      • Sarah Stovall
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 19, 2007
                          MODERATOR'S NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who read this list in digest form, we ask that you not top post and that you snip anything that is not germane to your response. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator. (Message order reversed below.)

                          This thread has essentially become a conversation between Steve, of
                          Lord Greys Retinue, and myself. Rather than cause clutter, we will
                          continue the conversation off list.

                          This is a brand new time period for me, so if anyone has information
                          on 15th century horse gear, clothing, or houshold organization, I'm
                          all ears.

                          Steve, I've already recieved e-mail from one of your members, and will
                          contact you through the information on your website.

                          Thank you for your generous invitation, and the help in getting kitted
                          up for this period.

                          Take care,

                          Pete McKee

                          Pete as a fellow rider/horse handler I too would be interested in any information on period tack and horse gear. Thanks~ Sarah

                          *They also serve who only stand and wait. *