Re: [Authentic_SCA] Belts

  • Ann Catelli
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 5, 2007
      --- Amy Heilveil <amyheilveil@...> wrote:

      > Transylvanian, Walachian, and Moldavian belts - 6
      > inches wide and
      > wider. Not seen as long as they are tucked or held
      > in some manner
      > completely around the waist. No dangling.
      >
      > Smiles,
      > Despina de la who knew?
      >
      > On 7/4/07, Natasha Laity Snyder
      > <tangwystel@...> wrote:
      > > What about knitted belts? A possiblility?
      > Documented?
      > >
      > > Tangwystel

      What time frame, here, please?

      Ann in CT

    • Amy Heilveil
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 5, 2007
        Okay, I messed up. After a bit of sleep and the cobwebs cleared...
        those of which I spoke aren't knitted, they're woven. My sincere
        apologies.

        Despina de la sleep deprivation coupled with packing is not a good
        mode to try thinking

        > What time frame, here, please?
        >
        > Ann in CT
      • borderlands15213
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 6, 2007
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Ann Catelli <elvestoorder@...>
          wrote:

          > --- Despair Bear <despairbear@...> wrote:
          >

          > > --- Natasha Laity Snyder <tangwystel@...>
          > > wrote:
          > >
          > > > What about knitted belts? A possiblility?
          > > > Documented?
          > > >
          > > > Tangwystel
          > >
          > > Early period saxon comes to mind, card woven belts.
          > > Say around 900 made from linen or wool, possibly
          > > silk?. Not as long as the traditional "SCA belts"
          > > and
          > > 1 inch wide or less.
          > >

          > > Godric
          >
          > Which are definitely not knitted.
          >
          > Off-hand, I would say that knitting is a technique not
          > well-suited to belts.
          > Even the not-stretchy sort of knitting, done very
          > tightly, would not be a good candidate to my mind.
          > Most, if not all, of the knitting done until the late
          > eighteenth century was very tightly made and not a
          > stretchy material.
          <<<snipped>>>

          > Ann in CT

          Very curious am I, now.
          I don't knit, at least not much (I know knit stitch and purl stitch
          and that's great, except I haven't learned how to cast on correctly,
          no matter which method you talk about) so I admit there's a great
          deal I don't know.
          I recall, however, a lady in my town who was for a while doing
          volunteer work through a program with her church, in which various of
          the parish were engaged in knitting bandages for lepers (that's what
          she said--- ) and they *had* to be made of cotton yarn because they
          wouldn't stretch, despite being knitted.
          So, if a belt were knitted of linen? Of hemp? Of silk? None of
          those is stretchy?....

          Sort of ruminating, but without much base of knowledge...

          Yseult the Gentle
        • Ann Catelli
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 6, 2007
            --- borderlands15213 <borderlands15213@...>
            wrote:

            > I don't knit, at least not much.
            > I recall, however, a lady in my town who was for a
            > while doing
            > volunteer work through a program with her church, in
            > which various of
            > the parish were engaged in knitting bandages for
            > lepers (that's what
            > she said--- ) and they *had* to be made of cotton
            > yarn because they
            > wouldn't stretch, despite being knitted.
            > So, if a belt were knitted of linen? Of hemp? Of
            > silk? None of those is stretchy?....
            >
            > Yseult the Gentle

            But your t-shirts, say, are cotton and knit, and
            stretch.

            Non-stretchy fibers, such as silk, cotton, and linen
            can be knit.
            The knit fabric formed by most modern knitters and
            knitting machines, too, is stretchy, no matter the
            fiber.

            My lone experience knitting with silk ('raw' silk) was
            very annoying, as it has no resiliance, which property
            makes knitting wool so much more of a pleasure for me.

            The non-stretchy behavior of early knitted fabrics is
            caused by very tight knitting, so far as I know.
            Even woolen knitting, which has potential stretch from
            fiber and the knit structure, was not meant to
            stretch.

            Fine gauge knitting is not 100%; some wool scoggers
            from the Mary Rose were knit coarsely; I don't know
            their other properties.

            Coarsely knit hats, at least, were then fulled to
            within an inch of their lives, and a nap raised and
            trimmed, like some woven woolens.

            I'd recommend find Richard Rutt A History of Hand
            Knitting (try local libraries &/or local fiber geeks)
            to get a good general background. Probably the best
            book out there on knitting history.

            Ann in CT

            Be a PS3 game guru.
          • borderlands15213
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 9, 2007
              wrote:

              > --- borderlands15213 <borderlands15213@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > I don't knit, at least not much.
              > > I recall, however, a lady in my town who was for a
              > > while doing
              > > volunteer work through a program with her church, in
              > > which various of
              > > the parish were engaged in knitting bandages for
              > > lepers (that's what
              > > she said--- ) and they *had* to be made of cotton
              > > yarn because they
              > > wouldn't stretch, despite being knitted.
              > > So, if a belt were knitted of linen? Of hemp? Of
              > > silk? None of those is stretchy?....
              > >
              > > Yseult the Gentle
              >
              > But your t-shirts, say, are cotton and knit, and
              > stretch.

              Agreed... I was taking the lady's word for the lack of stretchiness,
              and if you'll review my post [above] I had said "...n't stretch,
              despite being knitted." In view of your observations, below,
              regarding early knitting, is it possible these "bandages" were also
              being very tightly knitted?

              > Non-stretchy fibers, such as silk, cotton, and linen
              > can be knit.
              > The knit fabric formed by most modern knitters and
              > knitting machines, too, is stretchy, no matter the
              > fiber.
              >
              ><<snipped>>>
              >
              > The non-stretchy behavior of early knitted fabrics is
              > caused by very tight knitting, so far as I know.
              > Even woolen knitting, which has potential stretch from
              > fiber and the knit structure, was not meant to
              > stretch.

              How would that be achieved, this very tight knitting? Gauge of
              needles, or tension, or both?

              > Fine gauge knitting is not 100%; some wool scoggers
              > from the Mary Rose were knit coarsely; I don't know
              > their other properties.

              <<snipped>>

              > I'd recommend find Richard Rutt A History of Hand
              > Knitting (try local libraries &/or local fiber geeks)
              > to get a good general background. Probably the best
              > book out there on knitting history.

              ...another post-Pennsic project....

              Thank you, Ann, for your insights and thoughtful commentary.

              Yseult the Gentle
            • Rebecca Klingbeil
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 10, 2007

                > But your t-shirts, say, are cotton and knit, and
                > stretch.
                >
                > Non-stretchy fibers, such as silk, cotton, and linen
                > can be knit.
                > The knit fabric formed by most modern knitters and
                > knitting machines, too, is stretchy, no matter the
                > fiber.

                She's probably thinking of the cotton "crochet" yarn
                that they make doillies out of - it is not
                particularly "stretchy" though the knitting would give
                it some "give". This is just a "guess", mind you.

                [snip]

                > Ann in CT

                My only comment on this, as a knitter rather than a
                researcher, is that if you were going to "knit" a
                belt, wouldn't it make sense to felt it afterwards?

                Felting would remove most of the "sproing" and give
                you a nice surface for decoration.

                Leofwynn
              • Ann Catelli
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 10, 2007
                  wrote:

                  > > The non-stretchy behavior of early knitted fabrics
                  > > is caused by very tight knitting, so far as I
                  know.
                  > > Even woolen knitting, which has potential stretch
                  > > from fiber and the knit structure, was not meant
                  > > stretch.
                  >
                  > How would that be achieved, this very tight
                  > knitting? Gauge of needles, or tension, or both?
                  >
                  > Yseult the Gentle

                  I'd go with answer c, "both."

                  Some of the beautiful multi-colored relic bags, now in
                  Switzerland, iirc, have gauges about modern t-shirts
                  number of stitches per inch. And were, of course,
                  hand-knit. :o
                  Tiny little wires for needles, tightly tensioned silk
                  on the needles.

                  Some wonderful people on the historic knit yahoo group
                  (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HistoricKnit/) have
                  reproduced or been closely inspired by the relic bags.

                  I'll never do it, though. I used to knit quite
                  tightly and was working my way down through the 0
                  sizes in needles (0 is 2.25mm, 00 is smaller, and all
                  the way down to 11/0 (0.25mm) is available for sale)
                  when I developed Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from knitting
                  too much. bad plan.

                  Still smaller modern knitting may be seen at
                  <http://www.bugknits.com/>, and the supplies she has
                  includes the above-mentioned 11/0 needles; she sells
                  Up to size 5/0(1mm) steel double-pointed.
                  So it's still possible.

                  I recommend the historic knit list highly, as they do
                  try to document what/where/when as accurately as may
                  be. Their time period is up to 50 years ago, with
                  outposts of 19th, 18th, and medieval enthusiasts in
                  the group.

                  Ann in CT
                  stopping before I ramble even further

                  http://sims.yahoo.com/
                • borderlands15213
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 11, 2007
                    wrote:

                    > > How would that be achieved, this very tight
                    > > knitting? Gauge of needles, or tension, or both?
                    >
                    > I'd go with answer c, "both."
                    <<<<snipped>>>

                    > I recommend the historic knit list highly, as they do
                    > try to document what/where/when as accurately as may
                    > be. Their time period is up to 50 years ago, with
                    > outposts of 19th, 18th, and medieval enthusiasts in
                    > the group.
                    >
                    > Ann in CT
                    > stopping before I ramble even further

                    You are a very wicked woman, you know, tempting me this way with yet
                    another list *and* another set of skills to learn! And I've been so
                    good, lately, unsubscribing from many of those lists I haven't read or
                    don't read as often or as thoroughly as I ought!
                    *Especially* when I'm so far behind on so many projects in so many
                    other areas, already begun, too.
                    Very, very wicked....

                    Yseult the Gentle
                    story. Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
                    > http://sims.yahoo.com/

                  • Ann Catelli
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 11, 2007
                      --- borderlands15213 wrote:

                      > > Ann wrote
                      > > historic knit list
                      >
                      > You are a very wicked woman, you know, tempting me
                      > this way with yet
                      > another list *and* another set of skills to learn!
                      > And I've been so
                      > good, lately, unsubscribing from many of those lists
                      > I haven't read or
                      > don't read as often or as thoroughly as I ought!
                      > *Especially* when I'm so far behind on so many
                      > projects in so many
                      > other areas, already begun, too.
                      > Very, very wicked....
                      >
                      > Yseult the Gentle

                      Ann in CT makes a curtsey modestly

                      p.s. I knit enough Monday night that my CTS is flaring
                      up--don't go that far! ac

                      Got a little couch potato?
                    • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 12, 2007
                        > > I recommend the historic knit list highly, as they do
                        > > try to document what/where/when as accurately as may
                        > > be. Their time period is up to 50 years ago, with
                        > > outposts of 19th, 18th, and medieval enthusiasts in
                        > > the group.
                        > >
                        > > Ann in CT
                        > You are a very wicked woman, you know, tempting me this way with yet
                        > another list *and* another set of skills to learn!
                        > Yseult the Gentle

                        You know you want to! Actually it is a really good list. I've been
                        reading it for months now, and I can't even knit! But finally my
                        grandmother is coming to our A&S meeting tomorrow to be our
                        first "guest lecturer" and start teaching us.
                        Rosie
                      • borderlands15213
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 13, 2007
                          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Rosie (aka Nawojka)"
                          <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:
                          <<snipped>>
                          > > You are a very wicked woman, you know, tempting me this way with yet
                          > > another list *and* another set of skills to learn!
                          > > Yseult the Gentle
                          >

                          > You know you want to!

                          *Another* wicked woman! And enabler...

                          >Actually it is a really good list. <<snipped>>

                          And sneaky, seductive, appealing-making....
                          <shakes head> What is this Currently Medieval World coming to!!!

                          Yseult the Gentle
                        • Beth and Bob Matney
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 13, 2007
                            I am collecting images of period potter's wheels. There is, of
                            course, the one on page 277 of

                            Agricola, Georg, Herbert Hoover, and Lou Henry Hoover. De Re
                            Metallica. New York: Dover, 1986.

                            but I'm looking for any other images. If you know of any existing or
                            archaeological finds that would be even better.

                            TIA
                            Beth
                          • lenastrid
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 16, 2007
                              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Beth and Bob Matney <bmatney@...>
                              wrote:

                              > I am collecting images of period potter's wheels. There is, of
                              > course, the one on page 277 of
                              >
                              > Agricola, Georg, Herbert Hoover, and Lou Henry Hoover. De Re
                              > Metallica. New York: Dover, 1986.

                              Is that the one of the female potter in her sleeveless shift? (seen
                              here:http://it.geocities.com/a_pollett/cards23.htm)

                              If not, there's another one for you.

                              /Lena
                            • Beth and Bob Matney
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 16, 2007
                                >Is that the one of the female potter in her sleeveless shift? (seen
                                >here:http://it.geocities.com/a_pollett/cards23.htm

                                Lena,

                                Thank you! I had not seen this site before and it is new potter image
                                for me. Agricola's image is of a man and the wheel is a bit different.

                                Beth
                              • xina007eu
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 20, 2007
                                  <bmatney@...> wrote:

                                  > I am collecting images of period potter's wheels. There is, of
                                  > course, the one on page 277 of
                                  >
                                  > Agricola, Georg, Herbert Hoover, and Lou Henry Hoover. De Re
                                  > Metallica. New York: Dover, 1986.
                                  >
                                  > but I'm looking for any other images. If you know of any existing
                                  or
                                  > archaeological finds that would be even better.
                                  >
                                  > TIA
                                  > Beth

                                  Hi Beth,
                                  here's a 16h century one:
                                  http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Eygentliche_Beschreibung_Aller_St%C3%
                                  A4nde_auff_Erden:Der_Hafner

                                  A Greek wheel, an Egyptian one, and reconstructions of a Roman and a
                                  Meedieval one (basically the same type as in the woodcut from the
                                  Ständebuch).

                                  Hope that helps!

                                  Best regards,

                                  Christina
                                • Beth and Bob Matney
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 20, 2007
                                    At 12:57 PM 7/20/2007, Christina wrote:
                                    >here's a 16h century one:
                                    >http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Eygentliche_Beschreibung_Aller_St%C3%4nde_auff_Erden:Der_Hafner
                                    >

                                    >A Greek wheel, an Egyptian one, and reconstructions of a Roman and a
                                    >Meedieval one (basically the same type as in the woodcut from the
                                    >Ständebuch).

                                    I could not find then from the link... it gave an
                                    empty page. What were your search words? (My German is a bit rusty)

                                    Beth
                                  • xina007eu
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 24, 2007
                                      <bmatney@...> wrote:

                                      > At 12:57 PM 7/20/2007, Christina wrote:
                                      > >here's a 16h century one:
                                      > >http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Eygentliche_Beschreibung_Aller_St%C3%
                                      4nde_auff_Erden:Der_Hafner

                                      > >A Greek wheel, an Egyptian one, and reconstructions of a Roman and
                                      > >Meedieval one (basically the same type as in the woodcut from the
                                      > >Ständebuch).
                                      >
                                      > I could not find then from the link... it gave an
                                      > empty page. What were your search words? (My German is a bit rusty)
                                      >
                                      > Beth

                                      Go to
                                      http://de.wikisource.org
                                      then search for