Re: Buttons

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Aliskye" <alizkye@...> wrote:

      > Is there any evidence of the use of pierced buttons in the SCA time
      > period rather than shank buttons? <snip>

      The French had a buttonmaker's guild in the 1300s so portraits after
      that time might shed a clue if you can get good closeups. Also,
      there's a book out there called "Buttons & Fasteners" [subtitled 500
      BC-AD 1840] by Gordon Bailey that might have pictures and maybe some
      provenance.

      Eydís
    • Aliskye
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 6, 2007
        Thanks! That's one. :) I'll report back to the interested party.

        regards,

        aliskye
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Karen <karen_larsdatter@...>
        wrote:

        > On 7/3/07, Aliskye <alizkye@...> wrote:
        > > Is there any evidence of the use of pierced buttons in the SCA time
        > > period rather than shank buttons?
        >
        > Yep -- see http://www.employees.org/~cathy/buttons.html

        > Karen

      • Aliskye
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6, 2007
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Karen" <kareni@...> wrote:

          > The French had a buttonmaker's guild in the 1300s so portraits after
          > that time might shed a clue if you can get good closeups. >
          > Eydís

          That's interesting and bears checking up on :). I wonder what kind of
          buttons the buttonmaker's guild made?

          regards,

          aliskye