Re: Buttons

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
      On 7/3/07, Aliskye <alizkye@...> wrote:
      > Is there any evidence of the use of pierced buttons in the SCA time
      > period rather than shank buttons?

      Yep -- see http://www.employees.org/~cathy/buttons.html
      '
      (Sorry for brevity; typing one-handed, with other arm cuddling hiccupping little boy.) :)

      Karen
    • Karen
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Aliskye" <alizkye@...> wrote:

        > Is there any evidence of the use of pierced buttons in the SCA time
        > period rather than shank buttons? <snip>

        The French had a buttonmaker's guild in the 1300s so portraits after
        that time might shed a clue if you can get good closeups. Also,
        there's a book out there called "Buttons & Fasteners" [subtitled 500
        BC-AD 1840] by Gordon Bailey that might have pictures and maybe some
        provenance.

        Eydís
      • Aliskye
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6, 2007
          Thanks! That's one. :) I'll report back to the interested party.

          regards,

          aliskye
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Karen <karen_larsdatter@...>
          wrote:

          > On 7/3/07, Aliskye <alizkye@...> wrote:
          > > Is there any evidence of the use of pierced buttons in the SCA time
          > > period rather than shank buttons?
          >
          > Yep -- see http://www.employees.org/~cathy/buttons.html

          > Karen

        • Aliskye
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6, 2007
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Karen" <kareni@...> wrote:

            > The French had a buttonmaker's guild in the 1300s so portraits after
            > that time might shed a clue if you can get good closeups. >
            > Eydís

            That's interesting and bears checking up on :). I wonder what kind of
            buttons the buttonmaker's guild made?

            regards,

            aliskye