Re: [Authentic_SCA] Belts

  • Amy Heilveil
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007
      Transylvanian, Walachian, and Moldavian belts - 6 inches wide and
      wider. Not seen as long as they are tucked or held in some manner
      completely around the waist. No dangling.

      Smiles,
      Despina de la who knew?

      On 7/4/07, Natasha Laity Snyder <tangwystel@...> wrote:
      > What about knitted belts? A possiblility? Documented?
      >
      > Tangwystel

      www.theskilledquill.com
      Beautiful documents for joyous occasions
    • Ann Catelli
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 5, 2007
        --- Despair Bear <despairbear@...> wrote:

        > --- Natasha Laity Snyder <tangwystel@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > What about knitted belts? A possiblility?
        > > Documented?
        > >
        > > Tangwystel
        >
        > Early period saxon comes to mind, card woven belts.
        > Say around 900 made from linen or wool, possibly
        > silk?. Not as long as the traditional "SCA belts"
        > and
        > 1 inch wide or less.
        >

        > Godric

        Which are definitely not knitted.

        Off-hand, I would say that knitting is a technique not
        well-suited to belts.
        Even the not-stretchy sort of knitting, done very
        tightly, would not be a good candidate to my mind.
        Most, if not all, of the knitting done until the late
        eighteenth century was very tightly made and not a
        stretchy material.

        There exists a fragment of knitting from Egypt,
        13-14th century, that is a long, skinny tube fragment,
        which does suggest, at least, a belt. This is from my
        unreliable memory, try Tissus d'Egypt for a possible
        source.

        Ann in CT

        Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
      • Ann Catelli
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 5, 2007
          --- Amy Heilveil <amyheilveil@...> wrote:

          > Transylvanian, Walachian, and Moldavian belts - 6
          > inches wide and
          > wider. Not seen as long as they are tucked or held
          > in some manner
          > completely around the waist. No dangling.
          >
          > Smiles,
          > Despina de la who knew?
          >
          > On 7/4/07, Natasha Laity Snyder
          > <tangwystel@...> wrote:
          > > What about knitted belts? A possiblility?
          > Documented?
          > >
          > > Tangwystel

          What time frame, here, please?

          Ann in CT

        • Amy Heilveil
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 5, 2007
            Okay, I messed up. After a bit of sleep and the cobwebs cleared...
            those of which I spoke aren't knitted, they're woven. My sincere
            apologies.

            Despina de la sleep deprivation coupled with packing is not a good
            mode to try thinking

            > What time frame, here, please?
            >
            > Ann in CT
          • borderlands15213
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 6, 2007
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Ann Catelli <elvestoorder@...>
              wrote:

              > --- Despair Bear <despairbear@...> wrote:
              >

              > > --- Natasha Laity Snyder <tangwystel@...>
              > > wrote:
              > >
              > > > What about knitted belts? A possiblility?
              > > > Documented?
              > > >
              > > > Tangwystel
              > >
              > > Early period saxon comes to mind, card woven belts.
              > > Say around 900 made from linen or wool, possibly
              > > silk?. Not as long as the traditional "SCA belts"
              > > and
              > > 1 inch wide or less.
              > >

              > > Godric
              >
              > Which are definitely not knitted.
              >
              > Off-hand, I would say that knitting is a technique not
              > well-suited to belts.
              > Even the not-stretchy sort of knitting, done very
              > tightly, would not be a good candidate to my mind.
              > Most, if not all, of the knitting done until the late
              > eighteenth century was very tightly made and not a
              > stretchy material.
              <<<snipped>>>

              > Ann in CT

              Very curious am I, now.
              I don't knit, at least not much (I know knit stitch and purl stitch
              and that's great, except I haven't learned how to cast on correctly,
              no matter which method you talk about) so I admit there's a great
              deal I don't know.
              I recall, however, a lady in my town who was for a while doing
              volunteer work through a program with her church, in which various of
              the parish were engaged in knitting bandages for lepers (that's what
              she said--- ) and they *had* to be made of cotton yarn because they
              wouldn't stretch, despite being knitted.
              So, if a belt were knitted of linen? Of hemp? Of silk? None of
              those is stretchy?....

              Sort of ruminating, but without much base of knowledge...

              Yseult the Gentle
            • Ann Catelli
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 6, 2007
                --- borderlands15213 <borderlands15213@...>
                wrote:

                > I don't knit, at least not much.
                > I recall, however, a lady in my town who was for a
                > while doing
                > volunteer work through a program with her church, in
                > which various of
                > the parish were engaged in knitting bandages for
                > lepers (that's what
                > she said--- ) and they *had* to be made of cotton
                > yarn because they
                > wouldn't stretch, despite being knitted.
                > So, if a belt were knitted of linen? Of hemp? Of
                > silk? None of those is stretchy?....
                >
                > Yseult the Gentle

                But your t-shirts, say, are cotton and knit, and
                stretch.

                Non-stretchy fibers, such as silk, cotton, and linen
                can be knit.
                The knit fabric formed by most modern knitters and
                knitting machines, too, is stretchy, no matter the
                fiber.

                My lone experience knitting with silk ('raw' silk) was
                very annoying, as it has no resiliance, which property
                makes knitting wool so much more of a pleasure for me.

                The non-stretchy behavior of early knitted fabrics is
                caused by very tight knitting, so far as I know.
                Even woolen knitting, which has potential stretch from
                fiber and the knit structure, was not meant to
                stretch.

                Fine gauge knitting is not 100%; some wool scoggers
                from the Mary Rose were knit coarsely; I don't know
                their other properties.

                Coarsely knit hats, at least, were then fulled to
                within an inch of their lives, and a nap raised and
                trimmed, like some woven woolens.

                I'd recommend find Richard Rutt A History of Hand
                Knitting (try local libraries &/or local fiber geeks)
                to get a good general background. Probably the best
                book out there on knitting history.

                Ann in CT

                Be a PS3 game guru.
              • borderlands15213
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 9, 2007
                  wrote:

                  > --- borderlands15213 <borderlands15213@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > > I don't knit, at least not much.
                  > > I recall, however, a lady in my town who was for a
                  > > while doing
                  > > volunteer work through a program with her church, in
                  > > which various of
                  > > the parish were engaged in knitting bandages for
                  > > lepers (that's what
                  > > she said--- ) and they *had* to be made of cotton
                  > > yarn because they
                  > > wouldn't stretch, despite being knitted.
                  > > So, if a belt were knitted of linen? Of hemp? Of
                  > > silk? None of those is stretchy?....
                  > >
                  > > Yseult the Gentle
                  >
                  > But your t-shirts, say, are cotton and knit, and
                  > stretch.

                  Agreed... I was taking the lady's word for the lack of stretchiness,
                  and if you'll review my post [above] I had said "...n't stretch,
                  despite being knitted." In view of your observations, below,
                  regarding early knitting, is it possible these "bandages" were also
                  being very tightly knitted?

                  > Non-stretchy fibers, such as silk, cotton, and linen
                  > can be knit.
                  > The knit fabric formed by most modern knitters and
                  > knitting machines, too, is stretchy, no matter the
                  > fiber.
                  >
                  ><<snipped>>>
                  >
                  > The non-stretchy behavior of early knitted fabrics is
                  > caused by very tight knitting, so far as I know.
                  > Even woolen knitting, which has potential stretch from
                  > fiber and the knit structure, was not meant to
                  > stretch.

                  How would that be achieved, this very tight knitting? Gauge of
                  needles, or tension, or both?

                  > Fine gauge knitting is not 100%; some wool scoggers
                  > from the Mary Rose were knit coarsely; I don't know
                  > their other properties.

                  <<snipped>>

                  > I'd recommend find Richard Rutt A History of Hand
                  > Knitting (try local libraries &/or local fiber geeks)
                  > to get a good general background. Probably the best
                  > book out there on knitting history.

                  ...another post-Pennsic project....

                  Thank you, Ann, for your insights and thoughtful commentary.

                  Yseult the Gentle
                • Rebecca Klingbeil
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 10, 2007

                    > But your t-shirts, say, are cotton and knit, and
                    > stretch.
                    >
                    > Non-stretchy fibers, such as silk, cotton, and linen
                    > can be knit.
                    > The knit fabric formed by most modern knitters and
                    > knitting machines, too, is stretchy, no matter the
                    > fiber.

                    She's probably thinking of the cotton "crochet" yarn
                    that they make doillies out of - it is not
                    particularly "stretchy" though the knitting would give
                    it some "give". This is just a "guess", mind you.

                    [snip]

                    > Ann in CT

                    My only comment on this, as a knitter rather than a
                    researcher, is that if you were going to "knit" a
                    belt, wouldn't it make sense to felt it afterwards?

                    Felting would remove most of the "sproing" and give
                    you a nice surface for decoration.

                    Leofwynn
                  • Ann Catelli
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 10, 2007
                      wrote:

                      > > The non-stretchy behavior of early knitted fabrics
                      > > is caused by very tight knitting, so far as I
                      know.
                      > > Even woolen knitting, which has potential stretch
                      > > from fiber and the knit structure, was not meant
                      > > stretch.
                      >
                      > How would that be achieved, this very tight
                      > knitting? Gauge of needles, or tension, or both?
                      >
                      > Yseult the Gentle

                      I'd go with answer c, "both."

                      Some of the beautiful multi-colored relic bags, now in
                      Switzerland, iirc, have gauges about modern t-shirts
                      number of stitches per inch. And were, of course,
                      hand-knit. :o
                      Tiny little wires for needles, tightly tensioned silk
                      on the needles.

                      Some wonderful people on the historic knit yahoo group
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HistoricKnit/) have
                      reproduced or been closely inspired by the relic bags.

                      I'll never do it, though. I used to knit quite
                      tightly and was working my way down through the 0
                      sizes in needles (0 is 2.25mm, 00 is smaller, and all
                      the way down to 11/0 (0.25mm) is available for sale)
                      when I developed Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from knitting
                      too much. bad plan.

                      Still smaller modern knitting may be seen at
                      <http://www.bugknits.com/>, and the supplies she has
                      includes the above-mentioned 11/0 needles; she sells
                      Up to size 5/0(1mm) steel double-pointed.
                      So it's still possible.

                      I recommend the historic knit list highly, as they do
                      try to document what/where/when as accurately as may
                      be. Their time period is up to 50 years ago, with
                      outposts of 19th, 18th, and medieval enthusiasts in
                      the group.

                      Ann in CT
                      stopping before I ramble even further

                      http://sims.yahoo.com/
                    • borderlands15213
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 11, 2007
                        wrote:

                        > > How would that be achieved, this very tight
                        > > knitting? Gauge of needles, or tension, or both?
                        >
                        > I'd go with answer c, "both."
                        <<<<snipped>>>

                        > I recommend the historic knit list highly, as they do
                        > try to document what/where/when as accurately as may
                        > be. Their time period is up to 50 years ago, with
                        > outposts of 19th, 18th, and medieval enthusiasts in
                        > the group.
                        >
                        > Ann in CT
                        > stopping before I ramble even further

                        You are a very wicked woman, you know, tempting me this way with yet
                        another list *and* another set of skills to learn! And I've been so
                        good, lately, unsubscribing from many of those lists I haven't read or
                        don't read as often or as thoroughly as I ought!
                        *Especially* when I'm so far behind on so many projects in so many
                        other areas, already begun, too.
                        Very, very wicked....

                        Yseult the Gentle
                        story. Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
                        > http://sims.yahoo.com/

                      • Ann Catelli
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 11, 2007
                          --- borderlands15213 wrote:

                          > > Ann wrote
                          > > historic knit list
                          >
                          > You are a very wicked woman, you know, tempting me
                          > this way with yet
                          > another list *and* another set of skills to learn!
                          > And I've been so
                          > good, lately, unsubscribing from many of those lists
                          > I haven't read or
                          > don't read as often or as thoroughly as I ought!
                          > *Especially* when I'm so far behind on so many
                          > projects in so many
                          > other areas, already begun, too.
                          > Very, very wicked....
                          >
                          > Yseult the Gentle

                          Ann in CT makes a curtsey modestly

                          p.s. I knit enough Monday night that my CTS is flaring
                          up--don't go that far! ac

                          Got a little couch potato?
                        • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 12, 2007
                            > > I recommend the historic knit list highly, as they do
                            > > try to document what/where/when as accurately as may
                            > > be. Their time period is up to 50 years ago, with
                            > > outposts of 19th, 18th, and medieval enthusiasts in
                            > > the group.
                            > >
                            > > Ann in CT
                            > You are a very wicked woman, you know, tempting me this way with yet
                            > another list *and* another set of skills to learn!
                            > Yseult the Gentle

                            You know you want to! Actually it is a really good list. I've been
                            reading it for months now, and I can't even knit! But finally my
                            grandmother is coming to our A&S meeting tomorrow to be our
                            first "guest lecturer" and start teaching us.
                            Rosie
                          • borderlands15213
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 13, 2007
                              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Rosie (aka Nawojka)"
                              <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:
                              <<snipped>>
                              > > You are a very wicked woman, you know, tempting me this way with yet
                              > > another list *and* another set of skills to learn!
                              > > Yseult the Gentle
                              >

                              > You know you want to!

                              *Another* wicked woman! And enabler...

                              >Actually it is a really good list. <<snipped>>

                              And sneaky, seductive, appealing-making....
                              <shakes head> What is this Currently Medieval World coming to!!!

                              Yseult the Gentle
                            • Beth and Bob Matney
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 13, 2007
                                I am collecting images of period potter's wheels. There is, of
                                course, the one on page 277 of

                                Agricola, Georg, Herbert Hoover, and Lou Henry Hoover. De Re
                                Metallica. New York: Dover, 1986.

                                but I'm looking for any other images. If you know of any existing or
                                archaeological finds that would be even better.

                                TIA
                                Beth
                              • lenastrid
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 16, 2007
                                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Beth and Bob Matney <bmatney@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > I am collecting images of period potter's wheels. There is, of
                                  > course, the one on page 277 of
                                  >
                                  > Agricola, Georg, Herbert Hoover, and Lou Henry Hoover. De Re
                                  > Metallica. New York: Dover, 1986.

                                  Is that the one of the female potter in her sleeveless shift? (seen
                                  here:http://it.geocities.com/a_pollett/cards23.htm)

                                  If not, there's another one for you.

                                  /Lena
                                • Beth and Bob Matney
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 16, 2007
                                    >Is that the one of the female potter in her sleeveless shift? (seen
                                    >here:http://it.geocities.com/a_pollett/cards23.htm

                                    Lena,

                                    Thank you! I had not seen this site before and it is new potter image
                                    for me. Agricola's image is of a man and the wheel is a bit different.

                                    Beth
                                  • xina007eu
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 20, 2007
                                      <bmatney@...> wrote:

                                      > I am collecting images of period potter's wheels. There is, of
                                      > course, the one on page 277 of
                                      >
                                      > Agricola, Georg, Herbert Hoover, and Lou Henry Hoover. De Re
                                      > Metallica. New York: Dover, 1986.
                                      >
                                      > but I'm looking for any other images. If you know of any existing
                                      or
                                      > archaeological finds that would be even better.
                                      >
                                      > TIA
                                      > Beth

                                      Hi Beth,
                                      here's a 16h century one:
                                      http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Eygentliche_Beschreibung_Aller_St%C3%
                                      A4nde_auff_Erden:Der_Hafner

                                      A Greek wheel, an Egyptian one, and reconstructions of a Roman and a
                                      Meedieval one (basically the same type as in the woodcut from the
                                      Ständebuch).

                                      Hope that helps!

                                      Best regards,

                                      Christina
                                    • Beth and Bob Matney
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 20, 2007
                                        At 12:57 PM 7/20/2007, Christina wrote:
                                        >here's a 16h century one:
                                        >http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Eygentliche_Beschreibung_Aller_St%C3%4nde_auff_Erden:Der_Hafner
                                        >

                                        >A Greek wheel, an Egyptian one, and reconstructions of a Roman and a
                                        >Meedieval one (basically the same type as in the woodcut from the
                                        >Ständebuch).

                                        I could not find then from the link... it gave an
                                        empty page. What were your search words? (My German is a bit rusty)

                                        Beth
                                      • xina007eu
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 24, 2007
                                          <bmatney@...> wrote:

                                          > At 12:57 PM 7/20/2007, Christina wrote:
                                          > >here's a 16h century one:
                                          > >http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Eygentliche_Beschreibung_Aller_St%C3%
                                          4nde_auff_Erden:Der_Hafner

                                          > >A Greek wheel, an Egyptian one, and reconstructions of a Roman and
                                          > >Meedieval one (basically the same type as in the woodcut from the
                                          > >Ständebuch).
                                          >
                                          > I could not find then from the link... it gave an
                                          > empty page. What were your search words? (My German is a bit rusty)
                                          >
                                          > Beth

                                          Go to
                                          http://de.wikisource.org
                                          then search for