Re: [Authentic_SCA] Belts

  • Natasha Laity Snyder
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007
      What about knitted belts? A possiblility? Documented?

      Tangwystel
    • Despair Bear
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007
        --- Natasha Laity Snyder <tangwystel@...>
        wrote:

        > What about knitted belts? A possiblility?
        > Documented?
        >
        > Tangwystel

        Early period saxon comes to mind, card woven belts.
        Say around 900 made from linen or wool, possibly
        silk?. Not as long as the traditional "SCA belts" and
        1 inch wide or less.

        Godric

      • Amy Heilveil
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007
          Transylvanian, Walachian, and Moldavian belts - 6 inches wide and
          wider. Not seen as long as they are tucked or held in some manner
          completely around the waist. No dangling.

          Smiles,
          Despina de la who knew?

          On 7/4/07, Natasha Laity Snyder <tangwystel@...> wrote:
          > What about knitted belts? A possiblility? Documented?
          >
          > Tangwystel

          www.theskilledquill.com
          Beautiful documents for joyous occasions
        • Ann Catelli
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 5, 2007
            --- Despair Bear <despairbear@...> wrote:

            > --- Natasha Laity Snyder <tangwystel@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > What about knitted belts? A possiblility?
            > > Documented?
            > >
            > > Tangwystel
            >
            > Early period saxon comes to mind, card woven belts.
            > Say around 900 made from linen or wool, possibly
            > silk?. Not as long as the traditional "SCA belts"
            > and
            > 1 inch wide or less.
            >

            > Godric

            Which are definitely not knitted.

            Off-hand, I would say that knitting is a technique not
            well-suited to belts.
            Even the not-stretchy sort of knitting, done very
            tightly, would not be a good candidate to my mind.
            Most, if not all, of the knitting done until the late
            eighteenth century was very tightly made and not a
            stretchy material.

            There exists a fragment of knitting from Egypt,
            13-14th century, that is a long, skinny tube fragment,
            which does suggest, at least, a belt. This is from my
            unreliable memory, try Tissus d'Egypt for a possible
            source.

            Ann in CT

            Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
          • Ann Catelli
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 5, 2007
              --- Amy Heilveil <amyheilveil@...> wrote:

              > Transylvanian, Walachian, and Moldavian belts - 6
              > inches wide and
              > wider. Not seen as long as they are tucked or held
              > in some manner
              > completely around the waist. No dangling.
              >
              > Smiles,
              > Despina de la who knew?
              >
              > On 7/4/07, Natasha Laity Snyder
              > <tangwystel@...> wrote:
              > > What about knitted belts? A possiblility?
              > Documented?
              > >
              > > Tangwystel

              What time frame, here, please?

              Ann in CT

            • Amy Heilveil
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 5, 2007
                Okay, I messed up. After a bit of sleep and the cobwebs cleared...
                those of which I spoke aren't knitted, they're woven. My sincere
                apologies.

                Despina de la sleep deprivation coupled with packing is not a good
                mode to try thinking

                > What time frame, here, please?
                >
                > Ann in CT
              • borderlands15213
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 6, 2007
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Ann Catelli <elvestoorder@...>
                  wrote:

                  > --- Despair Bear <despairbear@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > --- Natasha Laity Snyder <tangwystel@...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > What about knitted belts? A possiblility?
                  > > > Documented?
                  > > >
                  > > > Tangwystel
                  > >
                  > > Early period saxon comes to mind, card woven belts.
                  > > Say around 900 made from linen or wool, possibly
                  > > silk?. Not as long as the traditional "SCA belts"
                  > > and
                  > > 1 inch wide or less.
                  > >

                  > > Godric
                  >
                  > Which are definitely not knitted.
                  >
                  > Off-hand, I would say that knitting is a technique not
                  > well-suited to belts.
                  > Even the not-stretchy sort of knitting, done very
                  > tightly, would not be a good candidate to my mind.
                  > Most, if not all, of the knitting done until the late
                  > eighteenth century was very tightly made and not a
                  > stretchy material.
                  <<<snipped>>>

                  > Ann in CT

                  Very curious am I, now.
                  I don't knit, at least not much (I know knit stitch and purl stitch
                  and that's great, except I haven't learned how to cast on correctly,
                  no matter which method you talk about) so I admit there's a great
                  deal I don't know.
                  I recall, however, a lady in my town who was for a while doing
                  volunteer work through a program with her church, in which various of
                  the parish were engaged in knitting bandages for lepers (that's what
                  she said--- ) and they *had* to be made of cotton yarn because they
                  wouldn't stretch, despite being knitted.
                  So, if a belt were knitted of linen? Of hemp? Of silk? None of
                  those is stretchy?....

                  Sort of ruminating, but without much base of knowledge...

                  Yseult the Gentle
                • Ann Catelli
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 6, 2007
                    --- borderlands15213 <borderlands15213@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I don't knit, at least not much.
                    > I recall, however, a lady in my town who was for a
                    > while doing
                    > volunteer work through a program with her church, in
                    > which various of
                    > the parish were engaged in knitting bandages for
                    > lepers (that's what
                    > she said--- ) and they *had* to be made of cotton
                    > yarn because they
                    > wouldn't stretch, despite being knitted.
                    > So, if a belt were knitted of linen? Of hemp? Of
                    > silk? None of those is stretchy?....
                    >
                    > Yseult the Gentle

                    But your t-shirts, say, are cotton and knit, and
                    stretch.

                    Non-stretchy fibers, such as silk, cotton, and linen
                    can be knit.
                    The knit fabric formed by most modern knitters and
                    knitting machines, too, is stretchy, no matter the
                    fiber.

                    My lone experience knitting with silk ('raw' silk) was
                    very annoying, as it has no resiliance, which property
                    makes knitting wool so much more of a pleasure for me.

                    The non-stretchy behavior of early knitted fabrics is
                    caused by very tight knitting, so far as I know.
                    Even woolen knitting, which has potential stretch from
                    fiber and the knit structure, was not meant to
                    stretch.

                    Fine gauge knitting is not 100%; some wool scoggers
                    from the Mary Rose were knit coarsely; I don't know
                    their other properties.

                    Coarsely knit hats, at least, were then fulled to
                    within an inch of their lives, and a nap raised and
                    trimmed, like some woven woolens.

                    I'd recommend find Richard Rutt A History of Hand
                    Knitting (try local libraries &/or local fiber geeks)
                    to get a good general background. Probably the best
                    book out there on knitting history.

                    Ann in CT

                    Be a PS3 game guru.
                  • borderlands15213
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 9, 2007
                      wrote:

                      > --- borderlands15213 <borderlands15213@...>
                      > wrote:
                      >
                      > > I don't knit, at least not much.
                      > > I recall, however, a lady in my town who was for a
                      > > while doing
                      > > volunteer work through a program with her church, in
                      > > which various of
                      > > the parish were engaged in knitting bandages for
                      > > lepers (that's what
                      > > she said--- ) and they *had* to be made of cotton
                      > > yarn because they
                      > > wouldn't stretch, despite being knitted.
                      > > So, if a belt were knitted of linen? Of hemp? Of
                      > > silk? None of those is stretchy?....
                      > >
                      > > Yseult the Gentle
                      >
                      > But your t-shirts, say, are cotton and knit, and
                      > stretch.

                      Agreed... I was taking the lady's word for the lack of stretchiness,
                      and if you'll review my post [above] I had said "...n't stretch,
                      despite being knitted." In view of your observations, below,
                      regarding early knitting, is it possible these "bandages" were also
                      being very tightly knitted?

                      > Non-stretchy fibers, such as silk, cotton, and linen
                      > can be knit.
                      > The knit fabric formed by most modern knitters and
                      > knitting machines, too, is stretchy, no matter the
                      > fiber.
                      >
                      ><<snipped>>>
                      >
                      > The non-stretchy behavior of early knitted fabrics is
                      > caused by very tight knitting, so far as I know.
                      > Even woolen knitting, which has potential stretch from
                      > fiber and the knit structure, was not meant to
                      > stretch.

                      How would that be achieved, this very tight knitting? Gauge of
                      needles, or tension, or both?

                      > Fine gauge knitting is not 100%; some wool scoggers
                      > from the Mary Rose were knit coarsely; I don't know
                      > their other properties.

                      <<snipped>>

                      > I'd recommend find Richard Rutt A History of Hand
                      > Knitting (try local libraries &/or local fiber geeks)
                      > to get a good general background. Probably the best
                      > book out there on knitting history.

                      ...another post-Pennsic project....

                      Thank you, Ann, for your insights and thoughtful commentary.

                      Yseult the Gentle
                    • Rebecca Klingbeil
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 10, 2007

                        > But your t-shirts, say, are cotton and knit, and
                        > stretch.
                        >
                        > Non-stretchy fibers, such as silk, cotton, and linen
                        > can be knit.
                        > The knit fabric formed by most modern knitters and
                        > knitting machines, too, is stretchy, no matter the
                        > fiber.

                        She's probably thinking of the cotton "crochet" yarn
                        that they make doillies out of - it is not
                        particularly "stretchy" though the knitting would give
                        it some "give". This is just a "guess", mind you.

                        [snip]

                        > Ann in CT

                        My only comment on this, as a knitter rather than a
                        researcher, is that if you were going to "knit" a
                        belt, wouldn't it make sense to felt it afterwards?

                        Felting would remove most of the "sproing" and give
                        you a nice surface for decoration.

                        Leofwynn
                      • Ann Catelli
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 10, 2007
                          wrote:

                          > > The non-stretchy behavior of early knitted fabrics
                          > > is caused by very tight knitting, so far as I
                          know.
                          > > Even woolen knitting, which has potential stretch
                          > > from fiber and the knit structure, was not meant
                          > > stretch.
                          >
                          > How would that be achieved, this very tight
                          > knitting? Gauge of needles, or tension, or both?
                          >
                          > Yseult the Gentle

                          I'd go with answer c, "both."

                          Some of the beautiful multi-colored relic bags, now in
                          Switzerland, iirc, have gauges about modern t-shirts
                          number of stitches per inch. And were, of course,
                          hand-knit. :o
                          Tiny little wires for needles, tightly tensioned silk
                          on the needles.

                          Some wonderful people on the historic knit yahoo group
                          (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HistoricKnit/) have
                          reproduced or been closely inspired by the relic bags.

                          I'll never do it, though. I used to knit quite
                          tightly and was working my way down through the 0
                          sizes in needles (0 is 2.25mm, 00 is smaller, and all
                          the way down to 11/0 (0.25mm) is available for sale)
                          when I developed Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from knitting
                          too much. bad plan.

                          Still smaller modern knitting may be seen at
                          <http://www.bugknits.com/>, and the supplies she has
                          includes the above-mentioned 11/0 needles; she sells
                          Up to size 5/0(1mm) steel double-pointed.
                          So it's still possible.

                          I recommend the historic knit list highly, as they do
                          try to document what/where/when as accurately as may
                          be. Their time period is up to 50 years ago, with
                          outposts of 19th, 18th, and medieval enthusiasts in
                          the group.

                          Ann in CT
                          stopping before I ramble even further

                          http://sims.yahoo.com/
                        • borderlands15213
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 11, 2007
                            wrote:

                            > > How would that be achieved, this very tight
                            > > knitting? Gauge of needles, or tension, or both?
                            >
                            > I'd go with answer c, "both."
                            <<<<snipped>>>

                            > I recommend the historic knit list highly, as they do
                            > try to document what/where/when as accurately as may
                            > be. Their time period is up to 50 years ago, with
                            > outposts of 19th, 18th, and medieval enthusiasts in
                            > the group.
                            >
                            > Ann in CT
                            > stopping before I ramble even further

                            You are a very wicked woman, you know, tempting me this way with yet
                            another list *and* another set of skills to learn! And I've been so
                            good, lately, unsubscribing from many of those lists I haven't read or
                            don't read as often or as thoroughly as I ought!
                            *Especially* when I'm so far behind on so many projects in so many
                            other areas, already begun, too.
                            Very, very wicked....

                            Yseult the Gentle
                            story. Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
                            > http://sims.yahoo.com/

                          • Ann Catelli
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 11, 2007
                              --- borderlands15213 wrote:

                              > > Ann wrote
                              > > historic knit list
                              >
                              > You are a very wicked woman, you know, tempting me
                              > this way with yet
                              > another list *and* another set of skills to learn!
                              > And I've been so
                              > good, lately, unsubscribing from many of those lists
                              > I haven't read or
                              > don't read as often or as thoroughly as I ought!
                              > *Especially* when I'm so far behind on so many
                              > projects in so many
                              > other areas, already begun, too.
                              > Very, very wicked....
                              >
                              > Yseult the Gentle

                              Ann in CT makes a curtsey modestly

                              p.s. I knit enough Monday night that my CTS is flaring
                              up--don't go that far! ac

                              Got a little couch potato?
                            • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 12, 2007
                                > > I recommend the historic knit list highly, as they do
                                > > try to document what/where/when as accurately as may
                                > > be. Their time period is up to 50 years ago, with
                                > > outposts of 19th, 18th, and medieval enthusiasts in
                                > > the group.
                                > >
                                > > Ann in CT
                                > You are a very wicked woman, you know, tempting me this way with yet
                                > another list *and* another set of skills to learn!
                                > Yseult the Gentle

                                You know you want to! Actually it is a really good list. I've been
                                reading it for months now, and I can't even knit! But finally my
                                grandmother is coming to our A&S meeting tomorrow to be our
                                first "guest lecturer" and start teaching us.
                                Rosie
                              • borderlands15213
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 13, 2007
                                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Rosie (aka Nawojka)"
                                  <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:
                                  <<snipped>>
                                  > > You are a very wicked woman, you know, tempting me this way with yet
                                  > > another list *and* another set of skills to learn!
                                  > > Yseult the Gentle
                                  >

                                  > You know you want to!

                                  *Another* wicked woman! And enabler...

                                  >Actually it is a really good list. <<snipped>>

                                  And sneaky, seductive, appealing-making....
                                  <shakes head> What is this Currently Medieval World coming to!!!

                                  Yseult the Gentle
                                • Beth and Bob Matney
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 13, 2007
                                    I am collecting images of period potter's wheels. There is, of
                                    course, the one on page 277 of

                                    Agricola, Georg, Herbert Hoover, and Lou Henry Hoover. De Re
                                    Metallica. New York: Dover, 1986.

                                    but I'm looking for any other images. If you know of any existing or
                                    archaeological finds that would be even better.

                                    TIA
                                    Beth
                                  • lenastrid
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 16, 2007
                                      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Beth and Bob Matney <bmatney@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > I am collecting images of period potter's wheels. There is, of
                                      > course, the one on page 277 of
                                      >
                                      > Agricola, Georg, Herbert Hoover, and Lou Henry Hoover. De Re
                                      > Metallica. New York: Dover, 1986.

                                      Is that the one of the female potter in her sleeveless shift? (seen
                                      here:http://it.geocities.com/a_pollett/cards23.htm)

                                      If not, there's another one for you.

                                      /Lena
                                    • Beth and Bob Matney
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 16, 2007
                                        >Is that the one of the female potter in her sleeveless shift? (seen
                                        >here:http://it.geocities.com/a_pollett/cards23.htm

                                        Lena,

                                        Thank you! I had not seen this site before and it is new potter image
                                        for me. Agricola's image is of a man and the wheel is a bit different.

                                        Beth
                                      • xina007eu
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 20, 2007
                                          <bmatney@...> wrote:

                                          > I am collecting images of period potter's wheels. There is, of
                                          > course, the one on page 277 of
                                          >
                                          > Agricola, Georg, Herbert Hoover, and Lou Henry Hoover. De Re
                                          > Metallica. New York: Dover, 1986.
                                          >
                                          > but I'm looking for any other images. If you know of any existing
                                          or
                                          > archaeological finds that would be even better.
                                          >
                                          > TIA
                                          > Beth

                                          Hi Beth,
                                          here's a 16h century one:
                                          http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Eygentliche_Beschreibung_Aller_St%C3%
                                          A4nde_auff_Erden:Der_Hafner

                                          A Greek wheel, an Egyptian one, and reconstructions of a Roman and a
                                          Meedieval one (basically the same type as in the woodcut from the
                                          Ständebuch).

                                          Hope that helps!

                                          Best regards,

                                          Christina
                                        • Beth and Bob Matney
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 20, 2007
                                            At 12:57 PM 7/20/2007, Christina wrote:
                                            >here's a 16h century one:
                                            >http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Eygentliche_Beschreibung_Aller_St%C3%4nde_auff_Erden:Der_Hafner
                                            >

                                            >A Greek wheel, an Egyptian one, and reconstructions of a Roman and a
                                            >Meedieval one (basically the same type as in the woodcut from the
                                            >Ständebuch).

                                            I could not find then from the link... it gave an
                                            empty page. What were your search words? (My German is a bit rusty)

                                            Beth
                                          • xina007eu
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jul 24, 2007
                                              <bmatney@...> wrote:

                                              > At 12:57 PM 7/20/2007, Christina wrote:
                                              > >here's a 16h century one:
                                              > >http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Eygentliche_Beschreibung_Aller_St%C3%
                                              4nde_auff_Erden:Der_Hafner

                                              > >A Greek wheel, an Egyptian one, and reconstructions of a Roman and
                                              > >Meedieval one (basically the same type as in the woodcut from the
                                              > >Ständebuch).
                                              >
                                              > I could not find then from the link... it gave an
                                              > empty page. What were your search words? (My German is a bit rusty)
                                              >
                                              > Beth

                                              Go to
                                              http://de.wikisource.org
                                              then search for