Buttons

  • Aliskye
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3 2:50 PM
      Is there any evidence of the use of pierced buttons in the SCA time
      period rather than shank buttons? The person asking is particularly
      interested in the Elizabethan era and has been told that only shank
      buttons are period. I'm curious if there is evidence to the contrary
      and hoping for pointers to actual artifacts.

      Thanks!

      regards,

      aliskye
      Lyondemere, Caid
    • Amy Heilveil
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4 7:44 PM
        hmmmm... very good question, which I am unable to answer at this time.
        I would love to see more discussion of this on the list though.
        Anyone have references? photos? well known but not to me or Aliskye
        stuff on this? I'm leaving her entire message, as it is all relevant
        to any discussion that would arise (what she's looking for, time
        frame)

        Smiles,
        Despina de la I've wondered this off and on for years and can't recall
        if I've found anything

        On 7/3/07, Aliskye <alizkye@...> wrote:
        > Is there any evidence of the use of pierced buttons in the SCA time
        > period rather than shank buttons? The person asking is particularly
        > interested in the Elizabethan era and has been told that only shank
        > buttons are period. I'm curious if there is evidence to the contrary
        > and hoping for pointers to actual artifacts.

        www.theskilledquill.com
        Beautiful documents for joyous occasions
      • Karen
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5 6:16 AM
          On 7/3/07, Aliskye <alizkye@...> wrote:
          > Is there any evidence of the use of pierced buttons in the SCA time
          > period rather than shank buttons?

          Yep -- see http://www.employees.org/~cathy/buttons.html
          '
          (Sorry for brevity; typing one-handed, with other arm cuddling hiccupping little boy.) :)

          Karen
        • Karen
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5 2:04 PM
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Aliskye" <alizkye@...> wrote:

            > Is there any evidence of the use of pierced buttons in the SCA time
            > period rather than shank buttons? <snip>

            The French had a buttonmaker's guild in the 1300s so portraits after
            that time might shed a clue if you can get good closeups. Also,
            there's a book out there called "Buttons & Fasteners" [subtitled 500
            BC-AD 1840] by Gordon Bailey that might have pictures and maybe some
            provenance.

            Eydís
          • Aliskye
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 6 7:50 PM
              Thanks! That's one. :) I'll report back to the interested party.

              regards,

              aliskye
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Karen <karen_larsdatter@...>
              wrote:

              > On 7/3/07, Aliskye <alizkye@...> wrote:
              > > Is there any evidence of the use of pierced buttons in the SCA time
              > > period rather than shank buttons?
              >
              > Yep -- see http://www.employees.org/~cathy/buttons.html

              > Karen

            • Aliskye
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 6 7:53 PM
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Karen" <kareni@...> wrote:

                > The French had a buttonmaker's guild in the 1300s so portraits after
                > that time might shed a clue if you can get good closeups. >
                > Eydís

                That's interesting and bears checking up on :). I wonder what kind of
                buttons the buttonmaker's guild made?

                regards,

                aliskye