Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Codpiece redux

  • Sandra Dodd
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 1, 2007
      -=-Anyone care to document the current fashion of arming belts -
      especially white knight's belts in the SCA and why some are big and
      long, some times to the point of having to be hitched up over the
      waist to prevent tripping?-=-

      Does it have to do with the lack of red convertible sports cars?
      (Oh, sorry; you said "document" not "analyze.")

      Just a few days ago Sir Raymond the Quiet did a presentation here as
      part of Guest Fest. I haven't finished that summary page, but others
      of the series is here. Master Tomas Fraser's page would probably
      interest many people here.
      http://sandradodd.com/thursday

      He talked about belts quite a bit, about doo-dads fastened to belts
      of Romans, of Vikings, of Saxons, of archeological evidence and
      casting methods. Raymond's been a knight for over 30 years, and a
      Laurel for nearly that long. He said he knows better than to wear
      the ring belt he often wears (his knight's belt), but it's ancient
      SCA tradition and people are used to it. Here's some more about
      Raymond:
      http://sandradodd.com/people/raymond

      It's pretty common (as well as being ancient tradition) for people in
      the SCA to choose exotic over "mundane," when the documentable
      medieval or Renaissance item would've been so much like our own
      modern, everyday object that it's kind of disappointing.

      AElflaed

    • xina007eu
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 6, 2007
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Sandra Dodd <Sandra@...> wrote:

        > -=-
        > This is followed by a discussion of the codpiece as container, this
        > time with references to contemporary sources, codpieces as signs of
        > virility, and a description of her sources including contemporary
        > portraits.-=-
        >
        > Container for things other than... the obvious?
        > Like keys and ID? Money?

        Yes, like an additional pocket.
        I don't think people normally carried keys with them as there usually
        was somebody at home (at least in larger households). They didn't
        have driving licenses and other ID back then. I don't know about
        passports - 18th and 19th century passports were large documents that
        one might slip inside one's coat or jacket and that one carried only
        when travelling abroad. Money and handkerchiefs, yes, this is
        documented.
        Best regards,

        Christina