Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Codpiece redux

  • Sandra Dodd
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 1, 2007
      -=-Finally, note that in evaluating a claim what you are evaluating is
      not whether it is absolutely true, but whether it is something that
      has been demonstrated, based on evidence and sound reason, to be the
      most reasonable conclusion (including consideration of how much
      confidence we can have in the conclusion, again based on the evidence
      and sound reason, not the unknown absolute truth). For while in
      studying history we are trying to get as close to the absolute truth
      as we can (that is, as close as we can to what actually happened),
      our only way of knowing and judging what actually happened is through
      evidence and sound reason.-=-

      We only need to look at the history of medicine, which is still
      unfolding, to know that evidence and sound reason can be changeable.

      The field of education contains mountains of evidence in the form of
      correlations and sound analysis thereof, which changes weekly, daily,
      hourly.

      Something can be demonstrated and still people should be wary, or say
      "It has been demonstrated by Dr. Bubba-guy, based on this or that,
      that..." and not "WE (speaking for all of... whom?) know at this
      time..."

      There are ways to discuss and present things and even to severely
      criticize things without declaring them to be "incredibly stupid."

      AElflaed of Duckford
      Outlands

    • xina007eu
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 6, 2007
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Sandra Dodd <Sandra@...> wrote:

        > -=-
        > This is followed by a discussion of the codpiece as container, this
        > time with references to contemporary sources, codpieces as signs of
        > virility, and a description of her sources including contemporary
        > portraits.-=-
        >
        > Container for things other than... the obvious?
        > Like keys and ID? Money?

        Yes, like an additional pocket.
        I don't think people normally carried keys with them as there usually
        was somebody at home (at least in larger households). They didn't
        have driving licenses and other ID back then. I don't know about
        passports - 18th and 19th century passports were large documents that
        one might slip inside one's coat or jacket and that one carried only
        when travelling abroad. Money and handkerchiefs, yes, this is
        documented.
        Best regards,

        Christina