Re: [Authentic_SCA] Codpiece redux

  • Ann Catelli
    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 28, 2007
      --- NINacide@... wrote:

      > BTW, I heard from a ren faire person that the
      > codpiece was for a man with a
      > major problem with STD's and the cod piece was for
      > holding the bandages in
      > place. If that were true, then maybe a person would
      > prefer to not imply that
      > they do have such a problem
      >
      > Mikhail

      Wow, that's a weird urban legend.
      I have never seen an STD relation implied in any
      costume or history book, including the ones chock-full
      of unlikely theories.

      No, the codpiece was worn by pretty near every
      European man from, say, 1400-1550.
      And untied so he could take a leak.

      They're just a part of clothing, which developed into
      a really SUBTLE (like a brick) emphasis on the male
      genitals in the fifteenth century.

      Ann in CT

    • xina007eu
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 6, 2007
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Sandra Dodd <Sandra@...> wrote:

        > -=-
        > This is followed by a discussion of the codpiece as container, this
        > time with references to contemporary sources, codpieces as signs of
        > virility, and a description of her sources including contemporary
        > portraits.-=-
        >
        > Container for things other than... the obvious?
        > Like keys and ID? Money?

        Yes, like an additional pocket.
        I don't think people normally carried keys with them as there usually
        was somebody at home (at least in larger households). They didn't
        have driving licenses and other ID back then. I don't know about
        passports - 18th and 19th century passports were large documents that
        one might slip inside one's coat or jacket and that one carried only
        when travelling abroad. Money and handkerchiefs, yes, this is
        documented.
        Best regards,

        Christina