Codpiece redux

  • Lynn
    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 28, 2007
      From the gentleman with the codpiece question:

      Ahhh! Now that is explicit enough to follow!
      I'll try it.

      Thank you very much.

      Luke

      Ya'll did so much work to get him straightened out, you oughta get the
      thanks....

      Ro
    • xina007eu
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 6 10:07 AM
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Sandra Dodd <Sandra@...> wrote:

        > -=-
        > This is followed by a discussion of the codpiece as container, this
        > time with references to contemporary sources, codpieces as signs of
        > virility, and a description of her sources including contemporary
        > portraits.-=-
        >
        > Container for things other than... the obvious?
        > Like keys and ID? Money?

        Yes, like an additional pocket.
        I don't think people normally carried keys with them as there usually
        was somebody at home (at least in larger households). They didn't
        have driving licenses and other ID back then. I don't know about
        passports - 18th and 19th century passports were large documents that
        one might slip inside one's coat or jacket and that one carried only
        when travelling abroad. Money and handkerchiefs, yes, this is
        documented.
        Best regards,

        Christina